Poll

Do You Believe in "God"?

Yes. I Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
21 (58.3%)
No. I Don't Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
7 (19.4%)
Maybe?
5 (13.9%)
No. Man is "God".
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 08:44:48 pm

Author Topic: Do You Believe in "God"?  (Read 33447 times)

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
  • # 8 Corey Taylor SlipKnoT
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2006, 12:19:11 am »
I do believe in God. but some things that are said to happen when you do some things never happen. Like breaking a ten commandment should get God pissd at you but I have seen any signs of anger yet. And I believe that there is no "right religion". But my belief is that if you are from a religion that believes in many gods and you don't know any better (believing in the one true god) when you die, god will send you to the heaven or eternal life that you believe in. If you believe that you will live with all the gods and serve them when you die, my god is kind enouh to not punish you for not knowing any better so he just makes your religion a reality. Got it?

D r e a m

« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2006, 12:41:35 am »
(Looks up) I believe in many things. . .& respect everyone's beliefs & ways.

"Where their are endings. . .their are new beginnings. ."
- D r e a m

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2006, 04:41:19 am »
In this age of information, there is no excuse for people living in the West to not be informed about religion, and to make an informed decision.

Unless you don't have the net, but hopefully people will follow suit and join Telestra's plan for world domination!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:08 am »
Nah, I don't believe in gawd. The idea of a big bearded dude deciding to make a world one day just cracks me up. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang_theory

Big bang, people. Big bang.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:49:49 am by Pyt Fumv »

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2006, 08:58:01 am »
"Big Bang" reminds me of Final Fantasy...
I think I'm gonna replace "God" with something else in my vocabulary...like... "Oh my holy devil" haha

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2006, 04:02:44 pm »
Nah, I don't believe in gawd. The idea of a big bearded dude deciding to make a world one day just cracks me up. :D

The the Big Bang theory, unless I'm confused, was thought up by a priest.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2006, 04:31:25 pm »

I think you're right, from Belgium of something.

The Big Bang is the most accurate theory from the creation of the universe. There had to have been some sort of atomic explosion to cause over trillions and trillions of neutrinos to be flying around in space. I don't believe they pinpointed any origin yet. After billions and billions of years until now, it might be a little hard to pin point it . . . :)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2006, 03:26:09 am »

That implies neither theism nor deism.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2006, 04:41:24 am »

It just implies that priests aren't stupid, thoughtless idiots.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »

No, it implies that they are smart, thoughtful geniuses.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2006, 05:26:17 pm »

No, it implies that they are smart, thoughtful geniuses.

You are both wrong. It implies nothing about priests or the universe in general.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23:35 pm »
What it implies is that the Big Bang and religion are not two opposing viewpoints. You can say 'maybe the priest wasn't religious anymore', but that is a minority assumption. If he is a priest, it is most likely that he was religious. That is the simplest view. And if he is, it shows that religion and science have not always been, nor needn't always be, opposed (in fact, that 'opposition' is just a construct of the last 100 years. After all, some of the deepest thinkers of history, say in ancient Greece, were deeply religious, even while they questioned religion itself.)

The reason I said that is because someone said, instead of believing in God, that they believe in the Big Bang. But that means nothing. I believe in God, but also in the Big Bang.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:55 pm »
I can't believe there's no gaia/enitity option.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2006, 12:00:34 am »
I can't believe there's no gaia/enitity option.

That falls under the supernatural entities... or, I suppose, natural entities, but for all purposes is supernatural.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33:32 am »
What it implies is that the Big Bang and religion are not two opposing viewpoints. You can say 'maybe the priest wasn't religious anymore', but that is a minority assumption. If he is a priest, it is most likely that he was religious. That is the simplest view. And if he is, it shows that religion and science have not always been, nor needn't always be, opposed (in fact, that 'opposition' is just a construct of the last 100 years. After all, some of the deepest thinkers of history, say in ancient Greece, were deeply religious, even while they questioned religion itself.)

The reason I said that is because someone said, instead of believing in God, that they believe in the Big Bang. But that means nothing. I believe in God, but also in the Big Bang.

You can't do stuff like that without opening a big can of worms. When you start picking and choosing which parts of the Bible you want to take literally, and which parts you want to construe as figurative, a big logical gap opens up: The Bible itself does not provide for such freedom of interpretation, so on whose authority do you declare parts of it to be literal and others not?

If the creation story is not literal, then what about Christ's virginal birth? What about his resurrection? What about the sun standing still in the sky? The five loaves of bread and two fish? Healing the sick? Heaven and Hell? The Trinity itself?

Reasonable minds would look at this book and see all sorts of fibs and make-believe. But the devout cannot give in to that temptation, at least not very much, because it undermines their own worldview. And so good people like you tend to get caught in between...compelled to be reasonable, yet bound not to be.

So, even though religious figures have always been capable of making scientific discoveries, such as was discussed above, they are always constrained in the end. The Big Bang theory, to the extent that it does tread upon Scripture--and it does, unless you are willing to take a big plunge about the Bible's literal veracity--this theory is irreconcilable with the creation story. That the main reason why these scientific fields like cosmology and biology are controversial at all.