Author Topic: Interesting Pre script discoveries...  (Read 16605 times)

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
Interesting Pre script discoveries...
« on: October 29, 2005, 01:21:47 pm »
My recent CT pre research has been primarily with the script lately. I found a couple interesting bit recently. First: normally, in Schala's scene where she's speaks to Jacky about the black wind, an attendant informs her the Queen is calling her. In the pre, apparently, it was Dalton:

Dalton 'The Queen summons you. If you would make your way down to the Undersea Palace...

Of course, Schala doesn't say 'Oh my, who are you?' on her way out in the pre (probably because Dalton would see you if you were standing there).

Another new bit: instead of Dalton summoning the Golem, the Queen does, or at least it just appears. After defeating it, there's a little extra dialogue in the pre:

Zeal 'I'll leave the rest to you Dalton. I'll head down to the palace. Throw that bunch in the research room.
Zeal 'Let's go, prophet!
Dalton 'Q, Queen!
Dalton 'Meh, whatever! These good for nothings.

The research room, eh? Wonder what that could be. The word she used for researcg room is 'kenkyuu shitsu,' in case you're curious. It's not exactly solid proof that it's the dungeon, but it is a reference to a new place at least...

Here's the text comparison for that scene (at the bottom of the main table): http://ryoga.heypoorplayer.org/chrono/comp06.php
My text dumping and translating continues; hopefully I'll find some more interesting crap soon.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:36:30 am »
Interesting; I never fathomed we might actually be able to validate these strange removed places with text from the game.

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:41:36 pm »
Found another odd thing:

Code: [Select]
このバージョンはここまでです。
のちほど次のバージョンをおとどけします。

クロノトリガー
   1995年 3/11発売

よろしくお願いします

This version ends here.
We will eventually notify you of the next version.
Chrono Trigger
On sale 3/11 1995
Please look forward to it.

It's a demo ending text like the usual ones, only it's very obviously different. It's alot shorter and isn't in the same format as the others. I would suggest it's from an earlier demo. It immediately follows the text for Tata's house and the scenes there. I'm pointing this out because all the other demo endings, text wise, immediately follow where they end. Also note that Tata's house is (normally) broken in the pre. Hmmm...

EDIT: BTW, this was found in text block 22 in the pre (0x3CB0BC - 0x3CBB6C)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 02:28:45 pm »
Once I get everything up, I'll start a dialogue section in the Prerelease encyclopedia for everything. This really makes me wish RPGOne didn't have to do Dragon Quest 3 before CT. I mean, that's like mixed up priorities...

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 02:52:58 pm »
Tata's house is in the last block of event data, leaving no room for an unpointed section afterwards. :(  However, I have little doubt that room was completed, since the game was finished to about the Tyrano Lair.  Technically, Algetty, and it would be interesting to see that section's translations since unlike the final there's nothing stopping one from entering immediately upon warping to 12000 BC for the first time.

The scene is the "Here's the Hero Medal, some frog guy dropped it in a cafe?", right?  If the demo ends there, it probably began at the Zenan Bridge battle or right afterwards, and made the player complete Denadoro Mts.

If the text really is from an earlier demo, and this demo is the "next version", the very next playable section in the story is the demo Magus Castle.  That would make sense.

The wording of that text sounds very much like a preview version sent to Japanese magazines...

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:06:39 pm »
Quote from: JLukas
Tata's house is in the last block of event data, leaving no room for an unpointed section afterwards. :(  However, I have little doubt that room was completed, since the game was finished to about the Tyrano Lair.  Technically, Algetty, and it would be interesting to see that section's translations since unlike the final there's nothing stopping one from entering immediately upon warping to 12000 BC for the first time.

The scene is the "Here's the Hero Medal, some frog guy dropped it in a cafe?", right?  If the demo ends there, it probably began at the Zenan Bridge battle or right afterwards, and made the player complete Denadoro Mts.

I'll work on Algetty soon then. As for the Tata stuff, yes, it's after his confession in the house. More specifically, immediately after the grandfather's 'My son wants to be a space pilot!' line.
http://ryoga.heypoorplayer.org/chrono/comp22.php (although I actually haven't translated the Tata section yet, I'll do that soon enough, hehe)

Quote from: ZeaLitY
This really makes me wish RPGOne didn't have to do Dragon Quest 3 before CT. I mean, that's like mixed up priorities...

I actuallly talked to them recently about working with them on the translation, and was politely told the project was on hold. Oh well. If i had the skill I'd just do it myself. It's actually not that hard; the trouble I have resizing the kanji font to work with English. (I just copied/pasted the font from the US version in the pre, hehe.) Anyone up for our own translation project? =D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 10:44:28 pm »
Yeah, I complained about that on their forums. I would be gung ho about creating our own Chrono Trigger: Special Edition completely if translation were an easy issue. But Japanese knowledge is like gold dust around here. We're lucky to even have this Prerelease stuff you've made.

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 08:00:08 am »
Hey, just wanted to give the people who are interested in my little project a heads up. It turns out some of the text in the unpointed sections use an older kanji table. This means this unused text is older than the pre (and may point to something new in 65m...), but... because it uses a differen kanji table than what I have, the text is a bit meaningless since the kanji (the Japanese characters that give a word meaning) is random gibberish now. Luckily some of the text that appears in this old format also appears in the final format, and I'm using that to match up as much kanji as I can. Hopefully I'll have results on that soon.

Oh, here's something interesting to chew on: in block 23's unpointed text is an older version of the trial text using that older format. At one point towards the end are three strings reading:

Code: [Select]
--------------------------
だい1だんかい
だい2だんかい
だい3だんかい

'Dai # dankai' basically means '#st/nd/rd Level'. In the part of the pre where it is used (block 1), the three lines are replaced with "有罪多数" (Majority guilty). What does this mean? Dunno. Oh, and originally you waited 7 days for the execution, not 3. Easy to see why they lowered that.

Hopefully I'll have something more interesting later.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Pre script discoveries...
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 03:51:45 pm »
I've decided to revive this.
From Text bank 16 on RyogaMasaki's site:
(魔王)「 装備をはいだか
   ダルトン……。

Current Google Translation:
(Lucifer) "HAIDA equipment?
Dalton ....
This is one of several Magus lines in the Prerelease's Blackbird text area. Could just be that the developers were confused or something.

Edit-
From bank 14:
老人「チャンスは一度きりだよ。
   ラヴォスによって生じる
   時空のゆがみの一番強い場所……
   死の山の山ちょうで使ってみなさい。(p)
---
   ただし成功するかどうかは……
   お前さん逹の、(クロノ)への思い
   しだいだよ。

Quote from: Google Translation
Elderly, "a chance only once. RAVOSU caused by the warping of space-time in the most powerful place ...
Death of a mountain butterfly in the mountains with it. (P)
---
However successful or not ...
You逹, (Chrono) as soon as it's feeling.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:40:49 pm by Vehek »

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 11:42:39 pm »
based on the fact that R and L are the same, and almost all (or all) S' are followed by a U we get
"Lavos" from RAVOSU.

I'M HELPING!!!!

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 11:52:50 pm »
Not really. I prefer analysis of how things were then.

In the second line I threw through Google Translate, I think that going to Belthasar/Gasch to learn how to use the Chrono Trigger wasn't in yet.
In another line, Gaspar/Hasch says "Pendant that the hatcher. " instead of telling them to talk to Belthasar (Google Translation of part of Final's line: "Hatcher is the way that when a blade made of a man listening to ....")

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 12:01:11 am »
This thread'll be revived once the pre script is ready. I'll go ahead and wait for a concentrated effort to extract all the text from the ROM using the old method, since I'm hoping that'll make it easier to post into the dialogue offset Retranslation spreadsheet (with the Japanese column blanked, of course). Then it's a matter of figuring out what's different, removing it, etc.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »
老人「チャンスは一度きりだよ。
   ラヴォスによって生じる
   時空のゆがみの一番強い場所……
   死の山の山ちょうで使ってみなさい。(p)
---
   ただし成功するかどうかは……
   お前さん逹の、(クロノ)への思い
   しだいだよ。

Quote from: Google Translation
Elderly, "a chance only once. RAVOSU caused by the warping of space-time in the most powerful place ...
Death of a mountain butterfly in the mountains with it. (P)
---
However successful or not ...
You逹, (Chrono) as soon as it's feeling.

The fourth line actually says,
"Use it on the summit of Death Peak."  I'm part Japanese and know some easy kanji.  too bad i'm not fluent...

Strawberry

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »
It seems like Chrono Trigger uses a similar naming system to Final Fantasy VII in that (at least) party characters names are bracketed rather than typed individually.. like {CLOUD} or {AERIS}, for example. Interesting. ^^

(魔王)「 装備をはいだか
   ダルトン……。

(Magus) 「You took off your equipment, Dalton......

老人「チャンスは一度きりだよ。
   ラヴォスによって生じる
   時空のゆがみの一番強い場所……
   死の山の山ちょうで使ってみなさい。(p)
---
   ただし成功するかどうかは……
   お前さん逹の、(クロノ)への思い
   しだいだよ。

Old Man:
There is only one chance.
The strongest point of the
time-space distortion generated by Lavos......
You must try using it on the peak of Death Mountain. (p)
---
But will it work......
That will depend on
your thoughts towards Chrono!

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 03:46:46 pm »
Thanks, Glitterberri.
It seems like Chrono Trigger uses a similar naming system to Final Fantasy VII in that (at least) party characters names are bracketed rather than typed individually.. like {CLOUD} or {AERIS}, for example. Interesting. ^^
I think it's mostly from how the table used to dump the script was formatted.