Author Topic: Soul Calibur III  (Read 2499 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2005, 06:26:35 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
The best is to have an arcade stick.

Agreed. I can use an arcade stick proper on most fighting games, except the one I play the most. With Guilty Gear XX, the button layout on pad is different from the layout on stick, so it's very difficult to switch between the two. Mind you, I don't own a stick, but if I could play Guilty Gear well with one, I'd probably have one.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 03:50:22 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

Agreed. I can use an arcade stick proper on most fighting games, except the one I play the most. With Guilty Gear XX, the button layout on pad is different from the layout on stick, so it's very difficult to switch between the two. Mind you, I don't own a stick, but if I could play Guilty Gear well with one, I'd probably have one.

I haven't played GG enough to really understand which is better, but most of the tourney players use a controller from what I remember. SC is better orineted for a stick because you need to press mulitple buttons which would make for akward handling and a general inablity to be nimble with the controls.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 03:57:31 pm »
I heard that it may come for the XBOX 360.

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2005, 04:04:33 pm »
Where did you hear that?

Ed

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2005, 06:34:49 pm »
I've been using that as something light-hearted between rounds of Romancing SaGa.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2005, 06:55:04 pm »

I haven't played GG enough to really understand which is better, but most of the tourney players use a controller from what I remember. SC is better orineted for a stick because you need to press mulitple buttons which would make for akward handling and a general inablity to be nimble with the controls.

Huh. At the tourney's up here, back when there were arcades, most of the Guilty Gear players played on stick. Some were snobs about it, too. Dicks. I can't really say which is better objectivly though. Most of the moves are Street Fighter "style" controls, in that they are quarter circle, dragon punch, or half circle, with most supers being hcb->forward motions. The button configuration is the screwey bit.

Pad: (with Dust on the shoulder)

Slash
Punch      Hard Slash
       Kick

Stick:

Kick   Slash Hard Slash
Punch          Dust

So you can see where the problem switching between the two lies.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2005, 05:07:54 am »
Quote from: BlueThunder
Where did you hear that?

Rumour sites.
Plus VF5 may come to 360 aswell. sweet! But i still have a good friendship with DOA

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 06:27:55 am »
The Gamecube controller is just as bad as the PS2 controller. You can not access all 4 buttons in a comforatable position

Wait, are you saying this about the Sony controller as well? Because that's just plain not true unless your hand is retarded or you're one of those people who just has to use the tip of their thumbs to hit every button...

Pffft. Sticks are overrated. The way I see it, you can move things a fraction faster w/the dpad...It's all just comfort...

Quote from: Mystik3eb
but the "just large" (XBOX controller) ones are...alright.

They're alright except for the still improperly placed Black & White buttons.

I've never liked Virtua Fighter...>_>

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2005, 06:59:33 am »
Its good in theory. But so is communism...
The ps2 controller has the most simplest face buttons. But the analogs sticks make me sick. The gcn controller is good, and just coz its not good for fighting games doesnt mean a thing.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2005, 03:47:29 pm »

Huh. At the tourney's up here, back when there were arcades, most of the Guilty Gear players played on stick. Some were snobs about it, too. Dicks. I can't really say which is better objectivly though. Most of the moves are Street Fighter "style" controls, in that they are quarter circle, dragon punch, or half circle, with most supers being hcb->forward motions. The button configuration is the screwey bit.

Pad: (with Dust on the shoulder)

Slash
Punch      Hard Slash
       Kick

Stick:

Kick   Slash Hard Slash
Punch          Dust

So you can see where the problem switching between the two lies.

Yea, like I said I am only going by memory. I didn't really watch any games just casuals cause SC started around the same time. I do see how that setup is a problem, arcade sticks just allow for so much quicker button manipulation.

Quote from: V_Translanka

The Gamecube controller is just as bad as the PS2 controller. You can not access all 4 buttons in a comforatable position

Wait, are you saying this about the Sony controller as well? Because that's just plain not true unless your hand is retarded or you're one of those people who just has to use the tip of their thumbs to hit every button...

You mean use the controller the way it was designed? Sorry, having my wrist cocked at a 90 degree angle really isn't that comforatable.  

Pffft. Sticks are overrated. The way I see it, you can move things a fraction faster w/the dpad...It's all just comfort...

Not really...unless you don't know how to use an arcade stick. There is a reason that more than 90% of tournament players use an arcade stick.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2005, 05:10:23 pm »
You mean use the controller the way it was designed? Sorry, having my wrist cocked at a 90 degree angle really isn't that comforatable.

Ball of thumb & Tip of thumb covers all the bases...Unless you're talking about something else which I understand not at all...

Not really...unless you don't know how to use an arcade stick. There is a reason that more than 90% of tournament players use an arcade stick.

Because they practice in arcades? :P

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2005, 11:41:03 pm »
Quote from: BlueThunder
Where did you hear that?

In EGM

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
Soul Calibur III
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 03:16:33 pm »

Ball of thumb & Tip of thumb covers all the bases...Unless you're talking about something else which I understand not at all...

Try and slide from Circle to Square without hitting the right joysitck or vice versa. Try and consistently press Cross and Triangle without hitting any other button. Not too easy.

Because they practice in arcades? :P

Sometimes, but its alot cheaper to practice on a console. Also there is no time limits, and more freedom.