Author Topic: The Tragedy of Macbeth  (Read 2654 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Tragedy of Macbeth
« on: December 17, 2003, 12:38:41 am »
I was a bit disappointed when I heard my English teacher say today that ... well, I believe she said Macbeth had no true or single meaning. We have here analytical minds; perhaps we can put them to use? Have any of you read Macbeth? I'm currently writing an essay in which I will reveal my opinion of its lesson.

warmgun

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Tragedy of Macbeth
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 01:29:39 am »
To say that Billy Shears has no meaning is just... I'm speechless.  I just love the image of Lady Macbeth walking listlessly in the night, dry washing her hands of the blood of those she killed.  How can you say there is no meaning in that?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Tragedy of Macbeth
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:04:14 pm »
Well, I think she meant...no single meaning. Of course, I'd naturally then want to collect all possible meanings and organize them into a single page, Compendium style!

Seriously, I think I'll argue the point that it demonstrates that society without codes of honor, morals, and limits becomes unhinged and life loses all meaning: "signifying nothing."

Daniel Krispin

The Tragedy of Macbeth
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 05:27:43 pm »
Well, Macbeth is certainly no simplistic story, so I can see why it might be said it has no single meaning. I would tend to say, however, that its primary theme is the corrupting results of ambition. Its been a very long time since I read it, all the way back in grade 11 four years ago, but I seem to remember my techer pointing out especial his comment on his "overvauting ambition" or something to that effect. Macbeth's ambition goes too far, and I think he realizes this himself by the end. He's listened to three witches, killed his king dishonorably, killed his best friend, and, in so doing gained power. But ever bit of power he gains, the more evil he becomes, and makes enemies.