Author Topic: Kino and Azala  (Read 3366 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Kino and Azala
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
There's only one possible response to that...

Unless you don't like the cut of my jib, of course...

Quote from: maggiekarp
Kino was definitely raised by Ayla. She's the only chief ever mentioned in the game, and I'd certainly define Kino has her "right hand."

I think it's possible to think that Ayla is talking about two different 'chief's here, mainly because of her garbled tongue, she could mention one chief and then talk about herself without clearly defining boundaries between her pronouns (or would this just be nouns? Chief?). Although I think you're right and that it was Ayla that found and raised him. I mean, if this is true then they'd both be peaking sexually at their right times respectively, right? lol

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:58 am »
tata is a child. one who has yet to earn is way into the world or his adulthood and hence forth his adult name.. that was 600 ad it would make sense for his name to not be indicative of his sex... anyone know what tata's name was in japanese?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »
Tarta. Basically the same.

Okay, the "a ending" argument is flawed, I GET IT. Sheesh.

Again, I'm curious about its speaking patterns in the Japanese version. Don't they have feminine and masculine styles?

Generality

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 03:36:59 pm »
To put the nail in the -a ending coffin: the origin of the feminine -a ending trend comes originally from Latin and related languages, where it indicated a feminine word (because in Latin every word has a gender. Don't ask). There's no reason to assume or believe that a Japanese game would even remotely adhere to this trend.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 06:22:53 pm »
But that sorta proves my theory in a way. Most if not all of the names in Chrono Trigger are meant to be English-sounding, or atleast not Japanese. Exhibit B, Magus' generals, names are puns of condiments in English. Not just that, but items and other things too. Silvard, Grandleon, etc.

Generality

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 07:42:31 pm »
That's a Japanese thing, especially if Akira Toriyama is on your team; they like to name people after random English nouns, usually within some common category. It doesn't mean they have any deep understanding of the language's nuance, and even if they did they wouldn't be likely to employ it, as they were after all targeting a Japanese audience and not an English-speaking one. And feminizing names is very different in Japanese.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:55 pm »
English is a fairly big second language over there though, isn't it?

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 11:19:54 pm »
English is a fairly big second language over there though, isn't it?

That holds true for any country. America is where the money is at, so it's the language of buisness. I heard that many Japanese colleges require students to speak in english.