Poll

Would You Name Your Child After a Videogame Character?

Yes, I already have the perfect name in mind!
5 (20.8%)
Hell no! Are you some kinda MORON? Guh-huck!
2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure. Maybe. I am a rebel without a cause.
11 (45.8%)
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: October 06, 2005, 10:28:43 pm

Author Topic: Would You Name Your Child After a Videogame Character?  (Read 9751 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2005, 04:57:01 pm »
Quote from: Silvercry
Turns out I already did.  In my defense though, at the time we picked the name for our daughter, the video game character that shares her name did not exist yet.

So what is the name?  Well, I give you a few hints:

The character is from a Square game.

My wife and I first picked the name that we would eventually give our daughter back in 2000.

You’ve seen her countless times.  Sure her name changes, her attire varies, and her personality is never the same twice.  But you’ve played CT even once, you’ve seen her before.

Lets see who can guess it.  If you get it right you win a big fat No Prize.  Yes, the No Prize!  One size fits all!  Thousand of uses!  Brought to you by the makers of Diddly-Squat.

The video game character that shares her name didn't exist yet, and yet if we've played CT even once we've seen her before. But all the other times we may supposedly have seen her, she's different. How curious! So...it's probably one of the more generic characters. You didn't name her Mom by any chance, did you? =P

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2005, 11:15:57 pm »
What about Lara? That's the name of Lucca's mother, and I don't think Tomb Raider came out untill 2000, can't remember...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2005, 06:23:39 am »
What about Random Citizen #26 =P What about Selphie, or Alieshe?

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2005, 01:04:49 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
I could see Tifa, Barret, or Vincent.

As was said before, Tifa sounds too slutty.

Barret is marginal.  No bad connotations, but just doesn't sound right IMO.

I could kind of see a kid I have named Vincent.  Not because of the character, but just because it's a "normal" name, but still uncommon.  Though the fact that my barber is named that kind of discourages it.  :P

IMO there aren't many "decent" names in Square games, but they DO exist.  For example, Vincent (already said), Nadia (eastern European, but still quite valid), Terra (again, a normal name), Edward, Edgar (not many of them around, but they ARE around), Cecil (borderline, as it's definitely an old-fashioned name, but is still in use), Rosa (as "Rose" though), Glenn (with one "n" though), Zack (shortened Zachary, which my cousin is named), and probably many others which I have forgotten.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2005, 05:51:01 pm »
I'd like to name a boy Felix, but not for any "gaming" reasons; I just like the name (and it roots as luck in greek or latin...forget which).

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2005, 11:47:52 pm »
Nope, sorry!  All the above guesses were wrong.  Perhaps some clarification of my hints are in order:

Remember when I said that when we picked this name, the game in question - a Square game at that - wasn't out yet?  We picked he name in 2000, even if we didn't have the kid until two months ago.  This pretty much eliminates Final Fantasy’s I-IX, and both Chrono games.

When I said you've seen her countless times before, what I should have said was you've seen countless people that look just like her before.  Especially if you've played the PS1 re-release of CT.  Even more over if you've seen a single episode of Dragonball Z.  Now, if that wasn't a big, fat hint, I don't know what is.

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2005, 11:54:16 pm »
I was thinking about it a while back sure id name my kid after a video game/show charector. IF i ever have a girl im going to name her Celes or Terra from ff6 or Delenn from babylon 5. Boy well Locke or crono wouldent be out of the question.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2005, 05:08:33 am »
My friends name is Felix, and we call him Treelix, coz he's lanky. Lame, i know

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2005, 06:25:04 am »
Nope, sorry!  All the above guesses were wrong.  Perhaps some clarification of my hints are in order:

Remember when I said that when we picked this name, the game in question - a Square game at that - wasn't out yet?  We picked he name in 2000, even if we didn't have the kid until two months ago.  This pretty much eliminates Final Fantasy’s I-IX, and both Chrono games.

When I said you've seen her countless times before, what I should have said was you've seen countless people that look just like her before.  Especially if you've played the PS1 re-release of CT.  Even more over if you've seen a single episode of Dragonball Z.  Now, if that wasn't a big, fat hint, I don't know what is.

Chi chi? Pan? Leene? Lol.... Bulma?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2005, 07:30:36 am »
Videl? Prob Leene, as Zaper said. Just tell us, I am dying of curiosity.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2005, 12:04:30 pm »
You guys are being way to literal.  Didn't I say the character was from a video game?  A Square game at that, which knocks out every last DBZ/GT game ever created?  She merely looks like someone you would expect to find in an episode of DBZ.  Akira Toriyama worked on more than DBZ and Chrono Trigger you know...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2005, 04:02:18 pm »
You guys are being way to literal.  Didn't I say the character was from a video game?  A Square game at that, which knocks out every last DBZ/GT game ever created?  She merely looks like someone you would expect to find in an episode of DBZ.  Akira Toriyama worked on more than DBZ and Chrono Trigger you know...

He also worked on all of the Dragon Warrior games. Too bad I've only played the first one, so I know no character names from that series.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2005, 09:15:06 pm »
Josh's Silvercry Impression: I am thinking of a name. It might have something to do with a person who looks like somebody you may have seen in a video game once, possibly. Come on, how many hints do you need? I'm practically giving this away!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2005, 01:25:22 am »

Well, lets see, what came out in 2000?

My guess, the name is from Vargrent Story, but that came out earlier than that. Damn, I hate not knowing :x

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2005, 04:58:50 am »
Is it from: Vagrant Story, SaGa Frontier, Front Mission, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve or XenoGears/Saga?