Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 436 times)

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Kingdom of Loathing
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:09:18 pm »
Well, considering that from the Freeware game thread, a handful of people play Kingdom of Loathing, so I decided to make a thread about it.

What is Kingdom of Loathing?

Well...a bit hard to explain, but here are some of the basics. It's a browser-based online RPG, where you pick your class and "adventure. The difference is, instead of being in a serious fantasy setting, it's a very humourous game, with parodies of pop culture and not so pop culture. You class choices are "Seal Clubber, Turtle Tamer, Pastamancer, Sauceror, Disco Bandit, and Accordion Thief." Which go along with the three stats you can have (Muscle, Mysticality, and Moxie). The first two are, "Muscle classes," which mean their primary stat is muscle and can only level up when they gain muscle, and so on for the myst and moxie classes. Muscle = Strength, obviously. Mysticality = Affects how much damage your skills do, and Moxie = Avoidance, speed etc.

In game, you use "adventures," which are sort of like turns. Places in the game which are similar to "dungeons" in other online RPGs normally take up adventures (these places have a, (1) next to their name). You start off with 80 when you first create your character, and you gain 40 a day (without any items that increase your daily count. For example, I have certain items that make it so I get 60 a day.)

You can get familiars...ranging from Sabre-Toothed Limes to Coffee Pixies, which aid you in different forms when you're adventuring. Also, one of the higher points of the game is it has a decent community. You're not able to directly play with somebody (I.e adventure with another person.) But you can send messages with items/meat (which is the currency.) etc. There is a chat, with several different rooms ranging from practical (/newbie, /trade.) to purely social (/foodcourt, /haiku etc.), where the chat rules ARE enforced, so it's a pretty clean and respectable place most of the time (It's not Runescape, for the better.)

Anyways...if you have some free time, it's http://www.kingdomofloathing.com If you do decide to join, pop me a message (Kazuki.) and I'll give you some stuff so you can have a head start =).

(P.S. It's definitly not one of those lame, "referral" games. Such as the ones where if somebody else clicks a link you get a soldier etc.)