Author Topic: Saddam Hussein captured in Iraq  (Read 11887 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Saddam Hussein captured in Iraq
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 10:47:40 am »
FINE.
I just hope and desire from the bottom of my heart that you people never have to live a situation of violence like that one in your streets, and do not have to suffer intolerance in your own flesh, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Listen, I don't mean to offend you, being just my own opinion, but you're talking about a religious civil war war here, and no diplomat can really resolve differences between two religions or sects (Gandhi came close, though), besides religion is inherently intolerant of other religions (as few recognize one another) or sects. Add on top of that this civil war is based on petty political differences between the two sects inflames the problem. And don't take me as some "insensitive republican scum", based on my opinions based on my opinions of *this* topic, this war is *very* different from the standard model. And I accept your opinion as it has validity, so don't go thinking I haven't considered what you're talking about :roll:, I'm all for diplomacy when it is *possible*, besides we're not the ones who will be able to bring peace to these sects, anyways, let alone at the business end of an M-16.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 01:52:19 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies, I meant no offense either, and I appreciate your explanations.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 02:04:27 pm »
While we're discussing religious strife, I'd just like to toss in the example of the Muslim ruler of India during the 1500s or so, Akbar the Great: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbar#Views_on_religion

This is how religious differences should be handled IMO. It should be noted that one must specifically reject specific religious traditions to do this sort of thing; Akbar had to do away with the jizya tax on non-Muslims, for example. If a Christian leader were in the hot seat, he or she would have to admit that belief in Jesus (as a literal concept, i.e., worshipping Jesus) is not the only way to salvation.

Note that I don't regard Akbar as a saint of any sort -- I think he threw a dude out a window once -- just as a very practical leader. Also, I don't think we need to go so far as to amalgamate all the different religions into a single faith; the discussion house inviting everyone from Sunnis to atheists to participate was probably enough. It's kind of like the Compendium forums.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:07:19 pm by FaustWolf »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 01:14:08 am »
General Akbar!

It's a trap!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile