Author Topic: 13 yr old girls & movies  (Read 1206 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
13 yr old girls & movies
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:55:39 am »
My friend was telling me about something odd a while ago. Everyone knows about the masterpiece Seven Samurais (the movie dumbass) and the piece of shit Last Samurai. The Last Samurai features a westerner. period. yet in a survey it seemed that gitrl around 13-18 like the last samurai better. i know this doesnt apply just to girls, but that was what the survey was directed. comments?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:47:43 am »
Yes, I have a comment. I just read your remarks in Naz's birthday thread, where you deride the efforts of people who try to discourage and dispel sexism in their society. And now I come here and read this, which is sexist not only in its subject matter but in its wording. Are you pulling my leg or something?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34:03 am »
Hah, the Last Samurai is a a bad movie? Have you even watched it, or is this judgment passed just because a westerner joins the last samurai before their final battle? The movie stresses lofty ideals and beautifully romanticizes the samurai as they face their doom in the industrial world. I sometimes have a problem taking Tom Cruise the Scientologist seriously, but regardless, I'm concerned only about Captain Nathan Algren here, and his acting is believable and good. Ken Watanabe's was perfect too; he made the film as Katsumoto.

Daniel Krispin

13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 04:20:30 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Yes, I have a comment. I just read your remarks in Naz's birthday thread, where you deride the efforts of people who try to discourage and dispel sexism in their society. And now I come here and read this, which is sexist not only in its subject matter but in its wording. Are you pulling my leg or something?

Don't let it bother you overmuch. Some things are better to just overlook. We all know your views on these matters; others see things differently, and I think it should just be peaceable at that. I would not gladly see the forums erupt into strife each time a comment is marginally sexist, or can be read as such. Just attempting to maintain the peace here.

Regarding the movie...
As the older brother of four sisters, I can say most defenitely that they liked it. Moreover, I've found their fondness of movies are often due to the precence of certain leading men, such as Johnny Depp, or in Last Samurai, Tom Cruise. I think that was the implication of the survey, and Zeppelin's comments, and nothing more. Certain groups will overall like certain things better by nature. Just a simple fact of hormones - the male side of this being prevalent in a multitude of movies as well - and rather factual than sexist.

But personally, I quite enjoyed the movie myself (as I said, I do not think the comment/survey excluded that others may enjoy it, but merely questioned that the enjoyment may have been based upon the prescence of certain actors adored by a certain age and gender group.) I've not ever seen the Seven Samurai, but being one by and large of a far more western mindset, I think that The Last Samurai is about as Japanese as I'm willing to go with things and still like them, as a matter of preference. Sure, it wasn't a fully realistic movie - if it was, the Samurai would have acted as violently as the feudal lords they were, lording over their power and killing whom they wished, not unlike various lords and knights who held power in Europe during the Middle-Ages, to whom they might well be compared. But as an idealised vision, I found it did very well: good acting combined with good visuals, and a nicely conceived west-meets-east plot.

warriorsam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 04:49:34 pm »
I liked Seven Samurai, but I can understand why young people would prefer the Last Samurai. Basically, it's not old and black and white and it has a recognizable star in it, which is generally what people wanna see nowadays as much as that may suck.

But I don't think young girls' preference has that much to do with Tom Cruise being a westerner. If you put something like Hero (even though it's Chinese) up against Seven Samurai, I think the same group of teenage girls would prefer Hero 'cause they know who Jet Li is.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:19:48 pm »
Honestly, I doubt that many 13-18 year old girls have even watched, much less heard of, The Seven Samurai...

I liked Last Samurai, it was pretty good. I've got no complaints. Tom, much like Hollywood-brother-in-arms Brad Pitt, is pretty good when playing someone who's 'on the edge' or just plain crazy.

Oh, btw, The Magnificent Seven kicks ass too. :wink: Yes! Go mixture of East and West!

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 07:57:28 pm »
Man, the Seven Samurai was awesome.  Vintage Kurosawa...*drools*

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 09:21:08 pm »
I liked the Last Samurai, and I hope to watch Seven Samurai someday.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 05:48:51 am »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Don't let it bother you overmuch. Some things are better to just overlook. ... Just attempting to maintain the peace here.

Thanks, Daniel. I trust my judgment.

Quote from: Hadriel
Man, the Seven Samurai was awesome.  Vintage Kurosawa...*drools*

It's a little-known trivia that my favorite movie, for many years now, has been Kurosawa's Dreams. Many people write it off as unremarkable compared to the master's great works, but I've always found it deeply evocative. I even own a disc copy!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 06:32:24 am »
Im not saying Last samurai was bad, but...just go to imdb and you will see that Seven Samurai is in the top ten i think. Another good movie is donnie darko which is in top 100.
I was trying to keep away from sounding sexist, but i know how i came off, and im sorry. But trust me, im not sexist

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 11:16:23 pm »
I thought the Last Samuri was the best.Exept the first time I saw it I had the stomach flu so I missed alot of the movie but the second time I saw the whole movie.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
13 yr old girls & movies
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 11:26:05 pm »
Never seen Seven Samuri, but I loved the Last Samuri.  It proved to me that Tom Cruize can act.