Author Topic: Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix  (Read 15324 times)

ClayAKAMe

Re: Masamune & Murasame-Swords of Squeenix
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2006, 02:51:54 am »
Don't touch me. Why is the masamune two or three different swords?

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:24 am »
Double-bladed means double sided.

Most common medieval swords were double bladed. An example of a none double-bladed sword would be a traditional katana.

Ah  k got it, wasn't that sure, tx.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:51 pm »
Don't touch me. Why is the masamune two or three different swords?

It's not?

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2006, 05:11:57 pm »
Well, in Chrono Trigger it was a translation problem(as you can read in this topic).
In most cases, it's a katana(like Sephiroth's Blade).

ClayAKAMe

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 05:16:34 pm »
Oh.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 10:04:47 am »
But Sephiroth's Masamune is longer than a katana but its sword length suggest that it is a nodachi samurai sword.

Heres what I meant...

katana= a 3 feet long samurai sword

tachi= a sword longer than a katana

nodachi= a sword longer than a tachi

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2006, 11:46:37 pm »
But Sephiroth's Masamune is longer than a katana but its sword length suggest that it is a nodachi samurai sword.

Heres what I meant...

katana= a 3 feet long samurai sword

tachi= a sword longer than a katana

nodachi= a sword longer than a tachi

Is a Nodachi a sort of Japanese Claymore?

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2006, 05:15:24 am »
Nope, claymore is a big blunt double edge sword. European swords is more on thrusting swords than slashing swords. On the other hand, nodachi is a single edge long sword emphasize on slashing.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2006, 02:11:11 am »
Nope, claymore is a big blunt double edge sword. European swords is more on thrusting swords than slashing swords. On the other hand, nodachi is a single edge long sword emphasize on slashing.

Yes, I suppose you're right on the general use of European swords. However, Claymores were slashing swords, unless I miss my guess. I've read they were anti-cavalry, made for things like cutting the legs off charging horses. That, and I'm certain such a heavy blade could act as a twofold sword and club - it would either cut someone, or cause them great injury under their armour. I highly doubt it was a stabbing weapon, as it doesn't appear to be very pointed. But at that size, one doesn't need the sword to be sharp anymore. The reason I drew a comparison is by length. You said a Katana is 3ft (which is interesting; I didn't know that), which is probably about the normal maximum of a western sword. When you mentioned a sword two classes longer, I right away figured it like a Claymore.

As a side note, I think Viking and Celtic swords were also slashing weapons. I have one of the former and, though pointed, it has a very wide blade that isn't very tapered, so I figure it for a slashing type. For the latter, I've heard the Romans encounted the Celtic tactic of whirling the swords above their heads and then slashing them downward.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 10:47:57 am »
Yes, claymore cut thru something but it not cut somthing heavily armored as the European knights because of the development of chain mail & breastplate armor. If you watch the Discovery channel, claymores are use to stun a person then stab it with the tip of the sword. But before the development of chain mail & breastplate armor it was a highly effective weapon.

Viking & Celtics swords is used as thrusting & slashing weapon and it first sword in europe that tempered as a carbonized steel sword. Lastly a 3 feet sword in Europe is considered as a short sword(example: Gladius) while in Japan it is considered as a long sword. I wouldn't blame the Japanese for calling it a long sword because 3 feet is considered long to them.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:25 pm »
Yes, claymore cut thru something but it not cut somthing heavily armored as the European knights because of the development of chain mail & breastplate armor. If you watch the Discovery channel, claymores are use to stun a person then stab it with the tip of the sword. But before the development of chain mail & breastplate armor it was a highly effective weapon.

Viking & Celtics swords is used as thrusting & slashing weapon and it first sword in europe that tempered as a carbonized steel sword. Lastly a 3 feet sword in Europe is considered as a short sword(example: Gladius) while in Japan it is considered as a long sword. I wouldn't blame the Japanese for calling it a long sword because 3 feet is considered long to them.

Heck, you sure seem to know a lot about swords.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22:44 am »
I'm always fascinated by swords so I read all about it.  If you wanted know what to book to read about samurais & their sword,  try to read "Books of the five rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. This dude is a legendary swordsman in Japan back in the Tokugawa Era.

By the way, the book also teaches you about battlefield psychology & combat techniques. Musashi's book can be applied to everyday life & used especially by japanese businessmen. That's reason why they're fierce in the corporate world.

But hey don't take my word for it,  try to read it.

Zansatsu Hana

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2006, 01:47:55 am »
I've read the book of the five rings and it's amazing. On the subject of the battlefield I highly reccomend Sun Tzu's (hope I spelled it right) Art of War. Both are absolutely amazing.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2006, 12:00:06 am »
Yeah, maybe some day. Right now I'm just immersing myself in learning Greek and reading western literature (ie. Homer, Seneca, Sophocles, that sort of thing); I'm going to be a Classicst, eventually. My knowledge of old combat and the like tends to come more from those sources. Especially in Homer, battles area a rather random seeming affair, with very little in the way of tactics such as the East had (though, thinking about it, it is a good deal earlier, too.) Anyway, my knowledge of Eastern wars is limited to having played Dynasty Warriors IV, so, yeah...

Lavodox

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ignorance is to be whipped. -Franziska Von Karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
Wow...I never knew these seven swords had such history and myth to them...it's amazing. They remind me of Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. Masamune and Murasame. Hmm...