Author Topic: Next-Gen RPGs  (Read 451 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Next-Gen RPGs
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:15:02 pm »
Well the XBox 360 is being released this upcoming November, and Revoltuion and PS3 should debut within the following year.  So, let's make a list of things we want to see in next-generation RPG's.  I can think of a few.

1) Randomly generated spell-casting.  As in what the spells look like themselves.  Generally, the programmers will make, say, 100 unique spells.  But, every time you cast them, they look EXACTLY the same.  We have the technology and programming skills to make variations within the same spell each time it's cast.  Take CC's "Volcano", for instance.  Does it have to come out the exact samed way every time?  Do the rocks have to fly at the same angle and speed every time?  Let's put in some randomization code and keep things fresh.

2) Figure out a way to keep our eyes fixed on the actual screen.  I probably spend 95% of my time in battle looking at the damn menu on the bottom (top) of the screen.  And let's face it, text is boring.  Let's find a creative way (if menus are involved) to redo them and have everythign on the screen, so you're watching the action.  They say don't fix what isn't broken, but IMO, menus on the bottom of the screen are broken.

That's really all I can think of for now... anything that's major at least.  Continue onward.[/b]

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Next-Gen RPGs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:46:59 am »
PHYSICS: So if its raining fire spell will be less powerful. A bit like FF:CC and SOM2 with the different days.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Next-Gen RPGs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:21:56 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
PHYSICS: So if its raining fire spell will be less powerful. A bit like FF:CC and SOM2 with the different days.

Final Fantasy Tactics has this feature, and so will FFXII.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Next-Gen RPGs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:31:14 am »
The problem with 3D graphics has always been that the pattern repetition makes environments look fake. Notwithstanding cinematic cut-scenes, the hand-drawn art remains superior to this day. I'd like to see a chip with the muscle to convince me that a tuft of grass is a tuft of grass. I don't want to suspend my disbelief. I want to say "Wow, how'd they get that tuft of grass inside the disc?"

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Next-Gen RPGs
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:40:29 am »
Admit it, you just wanted to say "tuft" a lot, didn't you?

I think making the battle windows transparent (or invisible except the words for those who aren't as vocabulary enhanced as some of us) might solve some of the problems of keeping the eye on the action...but I dunno if they could make that and still have it look pretty :roll: