Author Topic: Favorite RPG Moment  (Read 1010 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« on: September 22, 2005, 08:15:35 pm »
Okay, post here about your favorite moment in an RPG.  Some scene or event that happens, that you feel is the best part of the game, or defines it best, or what-not.

Mine is in FF4.  The Giant of Babel.  You have been fighting to keep this from happening.  But it does.  The Giant comes out, and starts blasting everything!  Were all doomed!  Then something shoots the Giant.  The Red Wings music starts playing, and the Dwarves' Tanks and Baron's Airships come out.  All the sudden, you can do this, taking down the Giant isn't impossible, you have hope!  The Tanks and Airships battle the Giant, allowing you to go inside.  Thats one of my most favorite moments in an RPG.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:31 pm »
Probably in Skies of Arcadia during assault against Galcian and the Hydra, when all of these pirates who were friends and once enemies rise up in a spectacle of color enusing in what's possibly the most epic battle in an RPG that I've seen.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:51:04 pm »
Probably FF6 When you're up above the world with the Goddess Statues. Kefka starts playing around with them and kills the Emperor and then you trap him in the statues and then the whole island begins to disintergrate and you run off :) And that was the end of the World of Balance.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 11:54:28 pm »
When Cyan finds his family murdered in Final Fantasy 6.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 11:58:46 pm »
It's gotta be the good ending of Shadow Hearts II. I won't spoil it here, but let's just say it brought a fair amount of tears to my eyes.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 03:11:37 am »
Final Fantasy VI

1. The Pheonix & Rachel scene w/Locke. He searched the (ruined) world over for the one thing that could bring her back and when he finally found it and it actually worked, it was all for naught in that it only brought her back long enough for her to say goodbye.

2. Gau's reunion w/his father. It was one of the better scenes in the game and it had Gau in it! Who'd a thunk it. Gau's a tough lil bugger after all. So sad, so touching...ah that freak of a mutant Blue Mage really gets to ya...

Chrono Trigger

1. OMG CRONO DIE'D! Yeah, it was like...wow. Not very often does the main character up 'n' die mid-game like Crono.

2. OMG CRONO CAME BACK! Yeah, it was obvious, but it was still a touching moment when Marle (argue that it's Lucca or no one and you're dumb :P) hugs him and tells him all the crap they went through.

3. Magus on the cape. I liked this scene because it really tells you about Magus and I like to see it as Glenn/Frog's defining moment, by choosing not to fight Magus and thus breaking his own vengeance cycle.

Final Fantasy Tactics

1. Algus kills Tata (you sonuvabitch!) The beginning of a long line of betrayal murders in the game...actually...I guess it sorta starts earlier...but you don't know that...exactly...w/e...that game's all sorts of backstabby fun plot...

Lufia: Rise of the Sinistrals & Fortress of Doom

1. Yes to all. I mainly loved how both of them connected and how the second game was actually kind of like the prequal. The endings were both really good. Since they're really like two parts to one game, I tend to see them that way. Lufia: The Ruins of Lore on GBA is pretty good too, but I haven't gotten through it yet...

Final Fantasy IV

1. Cecil becomes a Jedi. Er...Paladin, yeah...I don't like that it happens, but I realize the necessity and the fact that it's simply a cool scene.

Final Fantasy V

1. Galuf the energizer bunny. That old coot takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. One of the best death scenes ever. Too bad he gets replaced w/somebody we don't really get to know...win some lose some, I guess...

Chrono Cross

1. Lynx ufcks Kid. No, I'm not talking about that furry manga you saw, the scene where Kid gets stabbered. You don't know what's going on or why exactly you're doing what you're doing, but Serge is in the middle of it, it's all intense w/the black background and it happens fast and then Kid falls.

Radical Dreamers

1. Kid & the Sunflower. Pretty much any variation of this scenario is awesome, dramatic, and just plain neat. Kiss her or not. I'd suggest the Lavos body thing too.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 03:17:42 am »
Probably the ending to FF9.  It really made me "cry" a few times, I admit it.  That and the beautiful ending music to CT.  Really, just a wonderful touch.

Oh, those and when "Save Them!" starts up in FF6, when everyone joins up at the top of the Narshe mountains to defend against Kefka's troops.  Beautiful moment right there.

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 04:05:28 pm »
This was the first one I thought of too.
Quote from: Zaperking
Probably FF6 When you're up above the world with the Goddess Statues. Kefka starts playing around with them and kills the Emperor and then you trap him in the statues and then the whole island begins to disintergrate and you run off :) And that was the end of the World of Balance.

But upon further thought, it is NOT my favorite part of any RPG I've played.  It definitely ranks highly, but not on top.

My favorite scene that "hit" me the most was when Marle burst through into the courtroom in CT at the trial of her father with the prismshard.  Whenever I hear "Manoria Cathedral" now I think of that scene first.  The entire sequence of the King's Trial is quite good IMO, but that scene and the aftermath of the fight where she reconciles with her father is quite powerful.  Or maybe I'm just an ol' softie.

Probably #3 though is the entire ending of FFIV.  It was just of such extreme quality that it made an impression.  Kain's expression of "I'm not worthy" is also quite touching, as above all it showed him as a Man of Honor and ashamed of what he was forced to do.  The added touches of the continuing Rydia/Edge saga, and everything else just combined to make it very memorable, and a fitting ending.  In those days you still PRIMARILY played a game for the ending itself (more for the "rest of the game" nowadays), and that one lived up to, and exceeded all expectations IMO.

And after that are the entire flashback sequences in Figaro between Edgar and Sabin in FFVI.  You actually felt how the brothers were torn, and yet felt they had a duty to each other.  Then the ADDED twist if you take them both with you to intercept Setzer and you find out the coin that Edgar used to choose was double-sided.  You saw the "shame" on Edgar's face from Sabin's realization, and yet you knew it was a very noble act from Edgar to let his brother go and be happy.  Those brothers' relationship was one of the most "real" parts of that entire game IMO.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:03:11 pm »
Something that really freaked me out is when Magus tells you that he was once (still is) Janus. Ever since, I have wanted so badly to kill him just so most of the game never happens. :P

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 12:57:53 am »
Quote from: nightmare975
Something that really freaked me out is when Magus tells you that he was once (still is) Janus. Ever since, I have wanted so badly to kill him just so most of the game never happens. :P

Quote from: Magus
I lived there once, but I was a different person then.

He was Janus. Janus is dead. But I really love the confrontation at North Cape. That scene is one of my favorites.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 12:18:31 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
He was Janus. Janus is dead.

Well, if you want me to get technical on you, in name, Janus is dead, but in body and spirit, no. I could change my name and still be the same person.

Zaperking

• View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 11:44:22 pm »
Quote from: Eriol

My favorite scene that "hit" me the most was when Marle burst through into the courtroom in CT at the trial of her father with the prismshard.  Whenever I hear "Manoria Cathedral" now I think of that scene first.  The entire sequence of the King's Trial is quite good IMO, but that scene and the aftermath of the fight where she reconciles with her father is quite powerful.  Or maybe I'm just an ol' softie.

OMG!!! I LOVE THE MANORIA CATHEDRAL SONG! THAT SCENE WAS MY FAV IN CHRONO TRIGGER TOO! OMG OMG OMG I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT IT. And Like how Marle first tried screaming at the guards, so she had to go around Oo.

at Nightmare:
Magus says he was a different person, so he is so shh. His spirit could be different now, more melancholy and stuff, unlike Janus' so he's saying the truth :P You're not him so buzz off :P

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 12:05:23 am »
Time to get total technecal! HAAAAAAAA!

DNA! DNA can prove that he is the same person! HA! I win! :mrgreen: face the power of my green smile!

Zaperking

• View Profile
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 05:01:07 am »
Lol, just shut up.

Anyway, I forgot about another moment.
The moment when you interupt on the Schala and Janus scene. It's soo cute how she cares about her lil brother and wants to protect him, no matter what, but she knows she cant. So she gives him the amulet, whilst Schala's Theme is on. SCHALA'S THEME IS MY FAV SONG IN ALL OF CT!!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Favorite RPG Moment
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 06:47:19 am »
FF9: Bahamut vs Kuja & Alexandria Alexander Wings Thing & Ending
FF8: Eshtar & Ragnarok in Space with the Tears of the Moon
FF7: The serpent thing impaled on the tree
Tales of Phantasia: When Dhaos is kicked out of Earth, very sad
Terranigma: Ending
SOM & SOM2: Endings
All the Chrono Trigger Scenes!
Illusion of Gaia: Ending when you look out at the Earth from Space, my favourite!

Im only 13 but as you can see i love old school rpg endings better. it seems that imagination and beauty has been decreased to nothing more than graphics and sex appeal...And when Final Fantasy goes real time, then what?[ Oh, and my PS2 screwed b4 i could finish FFX, so i havent seen it yet