Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII thus far  (Read 4884 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Final Fantasy VII thus far
« on: September 18, 2005, 01:35:49 am »
I'm out of Midgar, and have just finished Cloud's lengthy flashback to the Sephiroth / JENOVA incident. As it stands, I like Cloud, as he is completely driven and in motion. However, I'm still waiting for a very profound moment from any of the characters; while they're all becoming very round and three dimensional, at this point in the game nothing's really made my jaw drop or anything. Similarly, I didn't fully like Magus until I learned of his history in Zeal, so this isn't a bad thing.

I'm over my initial horror at the character models, simply because they are apparently 3D versions of sprites common to 16-bit games. Looking at them in that light helps. I was utterly dismayed at the death of the AVALANCHE members; I hated seeing them die.

Summarily, the big draw of the game right now is learning more about the Ancients, Shinra, and JENOVA. It's really got me hooked, and I can't wait to get deeper into the plot. The FMVs are also pretty cool.

And I'm really hoping Vincent proves to be a profound character. That guy looks cool from Advent Children.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 03:06:58 am »
And you're playing this game for the first time while signed in to AIM without so much as an Away Message to keep the distractions at bay? Shame on you!

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:08:48 am »
Vincent has some interesting connections to some of the characters...though being an optional character, he unfortunatley (in my opinion) isn't developed as much as some of the other characters. He is interesting, though (Furthermore, how he can flip a hunting rifle to an upright position with one hand is an even more questionable fact >_>.)

The character moments will come... a few of them fairly soon. It's too bad you're playing this game from a perspective where you've probably heard about most of the sensitive parts over the years (how can you play videogames and not?) But still, even if you know what's coming, it's still fresh.

I'm glad you were able to get past the poor 3d models as well...when I played through the game, I stumbled upon somebody's description of them as "Final Fantasy lego people." It did NOT help at all, to be thinking of the characters as legos half the time >_>.

Anyways, I hope you continue to enjoy it  :D !

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 03:27:37 am »
Thanks. This Condor minigame is great, considering I'm a fan of the Total War series of games.

CronoVolta

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 03:38:00 am »
Quote from: Kazuki

I'm glad you were able to get past the poor 3d models as well...when I played through the game, I stumbled upon somebody's description of them as "Final Fantasy lego people." It did NOT help at all, to be thinking of the characters as legos half the time >_>.

Yea the Popeye arms that Cloud sports don't really help that situation.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 11:59:49 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Thanks. This Condor minigame is great, considering I'm a fan of the Total War series of games.

My advise there:  Don't worry about that part; for now.  That eats up way to much money early on.  Later in the game, you will get to go back there :)

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 12:04:07 pm »
Hopefully that PS3 FFVII intro trailer won't end up as just a trailer :~~

Geez, it'd surely be great playing FFVII with non-lego 3d models

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 02:34:55 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY

You should go back there after every event. FF7's minigames kick a whole lotta ass so stay with it. Later in the game you'll have a "final battle" there. You should keep a save there and just go back and play it whenever you want

warriorsam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 04:22:22 pm »
You'll definitely get to know and love these characters by the end of the game. Even some of the less important ones get their time to shine.

I see the game as sort of a spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger. I'm afraid to expand on that idea 'cause I'd probably be dropping a ton of spoilers, but I think you'll see the similarities (or the "comparabilities") as you play.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 04:40:06 pm »
Hm, I wonder why a Carbon Bagle is better than a Platinum one but costs less...

This Chocobo thing seems kind of silly, but it looks like I'll end up doing it regardless. A male Gold Chocobo is the prize, and it goes really fast or something, right? I'll probably also drop 300k to buy this house in Costa del Sol, just because that sounds pretty cool.

I just arrived at the Coast, by the way. The JENOVA theme was every bit as cool as Lavos vs. JENOVA made it out to be.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 05:14:34 pm »
Chocobo racing really isn't as enjoyable as it can be till near the end.  You actually breed them, and raise chocobos, trying to raise a Gold One, who can fly, and basically do anything.  You do NEED to raise Chocobos in order to get some of the secret materia, such as Knights of the Round, and Mimic, I think.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 05:45:03 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Chocobo racing really isn't as enjoyable as it can be till near the end.  You actually breed them, and raise chocobos, trying to raise a Gold One, who can fly, and basically do anything.  You do NEED to raise Chocobos in order to get some of the secret materia, such as Knights of the Round, and Mimic, I think.

Ah, Knights of the Round. Help me out here; my memory is foggy. You combined KotR with what in order to get that sweet...how many is it...48 attacks in one turn? Oh, I remember the first time I ever tried that. Fuggin' hilarious.

Masamune

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 06:53:41 pm »
You can use W-Summon to get it 24 times... Not sure about the other half. But I loved the invincible materia combo: Counter with Mimic, KOTR with HP absorb, and W-Summon. Just get into a battle, W-Summon KOTR once, and then come back 10 minutes later to see the victory screen. Whenever the enemy attacks, you auto-summon KOTR and then the HP Absorb means that every time KOTR hits, you heal as much damage as you deal! (Which is 9999 at the end of the game).

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 07:06:10 pm »
Yes, Mimic and W-Summon + KotR equals win.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
Use Quardra Magic with W-Summon and you use it 8 times! Combine that with what everybody said before and you are a GOD!