Author Topic: Trigger Music Themes in Cross  (Read 1406 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Trigger Music Themes in Cross
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:06:30 am »
I really don't think anyone hates the soundtrack for Chrono Trigger.  In fact, its hard to find someone that doesn't love it.  Cross might be slightly different.  Originally I hated it (save a select few songs) but I eventualyl warmed up to it, to the point where I love it probably jsut as much as Trigger.  It'd be interesting to see how the Trigger soundtrack would be made if Mitsuda had the same technology he had for Cross.

I remember reading somewhere that Mitsuda stated that he put many themes from Trigger into Cross, but that you have to listen more carefully for them.  I never realized this, except for a few obvious songs, but once I started listening, I started hearing more.  Then I started hearing themes within themes in Trigger as well.  so what I wanna do in this thread is basically talk about where certain themes for the games.  Whether they're only in one game, from one game to another, or whatever.

Obvious Carry Overs
- The battle themes from Radical Dreamers and Cross are identical.
- Lucca's Theme (really the fanfare) and fanfare from Cross are the same basic theme, although Cross' becomes more slow than upbeat.
- Overworld Theme in Cross is remake of Crono's theme.

Less Obvious Carry Overs
- I believe the music in Magus' Castle is the same as when you're crossing the bridge outside of Viper Manor into the library.

Repeating Themes Within Trigger
- This may seem obvious to everyone, and even though I've been playing the game for 8 years and beaten it literally 300 times at least, I just figured this out maybe a month ago.  "World Revolution" has the main Theme of Lavos stuck right in the middle of it.  How did I never see that?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:11:15 pm »
Don't forget the victory music! That is from CT. Can't remember the name...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:29:36 pm »
Ah, what a perfect excuse to spend the morning listening to the entire Chrono Cross soundtrack! Let me get some breakfast and…let’s do this! Following are all the Chrono Cross songs that are not indigenous to Chrono Cross. I have also included songs in the Magical Dreamers family, because I swear that theme is inspired by the Radical Dreamers main theme. This list does not mention any of the other songs in CC that are related to one another, unless they are also connected to songs from Chrono Trigger or Radical Dreamers. And don’t give me no guff for using the less-accepted versions of the song titles. =P

This is not necessarily a complete list, but I am confident that I got almost everything, if not exactly everything. Feel free to add something that I may have missed.

101: “Time’s Scar”
Based on Chrono Trigger main theme, with original content

103: “Home Village Arni”
Original; similar structure to “Wings that Cross Time”

104: “Time’s Grasslands – Home World”
Remix of Chrono Trigger main theme

105: “Dancing the Takage”
Original; member of the CC Magical Dreamers family

107: “Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World”
Remix of the Radical Dreamers main theme

112: “Another Termina”
Original; structure is identical to “Guardia Millennial Fair”; also identical to Xenogears’ “My Village Is Number One.” Three structurally identical festive village themes? Coincidence? This reporter thinks not.

115: “Viper Manor”
Carryover from Radical Dreamers

116: “Victory – Spring’s Gift”
Based on “Fanfare 1” (Lucca’s Theme)

117: “Lost Child of Time”
Inspiration from and partial remix of “People Who Threw Away the Will to Live”

118: “Another Guldove”
Original, with an allusion to “Wings that Cross Time”

124: “Ancient Dragon’s Fort”
Inspiration from “Ocean Palace” (Seriously; listen to both…it’s extremely subtle)

207: “Home Marbule”

211: “Chrono Main Theme”
Remix of Chrono Trigger main theme

215: “Dead Sea – Tower of Ruin”
Based on “Ruined World” (I didn’t know about this until just now, when on a hunch I compared the two) “Tower of Ruin” is one of the few songs in CC to take its cues from CT and actually end up as the better song

220: “Gale”
Carryover of Radical Dreamers battle theme

221: “Victory – Summer’s Cry”
Based on “Fanfare 1” (Lucca’s Theme)

222: “Another Marbule”

223: “Fairies Make Way for Magic”

224: “Etude 1”

225: “Etude 2”

226A: “Magical Dreamers – The Wind, Stars, and Waves (Intro)”

226B: “Magical Dreamers – The Wind, Stars, and Waves (Main)”

301: “Garden of the Gods”
Original; with an allusion to “Manoria Cathedral”

302: “Chronopolis”
Similar technique to “Memories of Green” and “Secret of the Forest”; with a dubious allusion to “Battle with Magus” (“Chronopolis” uses elements from all three of the aforementioned, but I’m not sure if that’s intentional, especially in the third case.)

306: “The Star-Stealing Girl”
Carryover of Radical Dreamers Kid theme

307: “Time of the Dreamwatch”
Remix of Radical Dreamers main theme and Chrono Trigger main theme; structurally identical in some sections to Chrono Trigger main theme and “Corridors of Time”

308: “Dragon’s Prayer”
This eerie song has three sections. The first part is original; but I’m not sure about the other two. I think it might be inspired by “Kingdom Trial,” but I wouldn’t swear to that under oath. Other opinions?

310: “Frozen Flame”
Carryover of Radical Dreamers theme of the same name

313: “Life – Faraway Promise”
The first part is based on “Schala’s Theme”; the rest of the song is based on the CC end title theme

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:54:34 pm »
This may be out on a limb, but in the Dead Sea the piano sounds SLIGHTLY like the music played in the Keeper's dome where Belthasar was (Theme of Sadness? I forget.)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:15:20 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
This may be out on a limb, but in the Dead Sea the piano sounds SLIGHTLY like the music played in the Keeper's dome where Belthasar was (Theme of Sadness? I forget.)

I checked it out. (The song is called "Sealed Door," and it's one of Uematsu's.) The technique and instrumentation are similar, you're right. But there is no direct structural or thematic relation. (When I say "technique," I'm talking about Mitsuda's personal voice, the individual style he brings to all his music. When he uses a similar "technique" on two songs, this is the weakest form of association. And since "Sealed Door" isn't actually one of his, this clouds the relation a bit.) I'd call the two distant cousins, but maybe worth adding to the list anyway. They definitely speak to the same group of moods. Interesting catch.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:18 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
124: “Ancient Dragon’s Fort”
Inspiration from “Ocean Palace” (Seriously; listen to both…it’s extremely subtle)

I always noticed there was something similar, but could never quite place it.

By the way, just because something was Uematsu-made doesn't mean it won't be used in a music selection he has nothing to do with.

It made it in because it's one of the better things of all things Chrono, and it was used in 2300 A.D..

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 07:43:55 pm »
On my second playthrough the other day, I was passing through the Temporal Vortex, and I noticed the music played in the building where Harle talks to you sounds a tad bit like the piece played during the trial in CT (I really should memorize the track names more...). Has anybody else noticed this

Note: This piece also plays in Another's Arni post Fort Dragonia events.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:04:24 pm »
That song is named Kingdom Trial.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:21:14 am »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
That song is named Kingdom Trail.

James has dysentery! =P

Weggy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 02:29:15 am »

James has dysentery! =P

:lol: I love that game

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 02:40:54 pm »

James has dysentery! =P

Namdation! Difflesticks! And so froth! :p

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
I feel stupid now, but I just realized that the Home World theme is a remix of Memories of Green... And of course the victory fanfare remained.