Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 20497 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2005, 04:56:26 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
How convoluted is the plot compared to that of Chrono Cross?

The complicated details in the plot are the character's identities and relationships, instead of time-travel and dimensional mechanic.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2005, 07:01:59 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Oh, and Legend of the Past...That's when you whip out yer Auras & Holy Wars and bust a Desperation Break (I like the sound of that now) cap in her (& the following bosses') ass.

Aha, you use Holy War, damage Adel greatly. Unfortunatly, you killed Rinoa too and got a Game Over.

Oh, and as for FF VII... It has some very confusing bits, which are the character identities, like Sentenal said. There's a spot in the game where you think you know Cloud, but a later sequence just tears that apart and make you see Cloud isn't what that part made him seem to be.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2005, 08:35:33 am »
Quote from: Silvercry
Or you could master the Junction system and kill her in like three commands, all of them being "Fight"

Okay, so there are TWO exceptionally easy ways to play/beat FFVIII, is that what you wanted me to say? I mean, heck, the way you're saying it...I thought FFVIII was easy, but now I see that it could have been even easier? Lame.

Quote from: Legend of the Past
Unfortunatly, you killed Rinoa too and got a Game Over.

Who needs her? Intercepter would tear her and her stupid dog to bits. And I wanted to get people w/better Desperation Breaks! Although I forget who I used now...Maybe it was Rinoa...I know I had Squall & Zell...oh well.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2005, 11:19:49 am »
Who needs her?

The story does.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2005, 12:18:42 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Quote from: ZeaLitY
How convoluted is the plot compared to that of Chrono Cross?

The complicated details in the plot are the character's identities and relationships, instead of time-travel and dimensional mechanic.

That's probably the best way to put it.  The characters' histories can get confusing at times, because half the time everyone's either lying or telling a falsehood that they think is true.  Even the villains aren't completely immune, except maybe for Jenova.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2005, 12:22:26 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
Jenova.

You mean Mrs. I'm-an-Ancient?

Hadriel

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2005, 12:23:16 pm »
ZOMG JENOVA BOOBEEZ

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2005, 12:26:47 pm »
Quote from: Silvercry
Or you could master the Junction system and kill her in like three commands, all of them being "Fight"

Okay, so there are TWO exceptionally easy ways to play/beat FFVIII, is that what you wanted me to say? I mean, heck, the way you're saying it...I thought FFVIII was easy, but now I see that it could have been even easier? Lame.

Unfortunatly, you killed Rinoa too and got a Game Over.

Who needs her? Intercepter would tear her and her stupid dog to bits. And I wanted to get people w/better Desperation Breaks! Although I forget who I used now...Maybe it was Rinoa...I know I had Squall & Zell...oh well.

I think you're getting Adel and Ultimecia confused.  We were talking about the fight with Adel at the start of disc 4.  Rinoa could not have possibly been in your party for that one.

And you are clearly missing my point, so I give up.  If you can't follow my logic, its no wonder you never got the Junction system.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2005, 03:32:28 pm »
Oh, and Legend of the Past...That's when you whip out yer Auras & Holy Wars and bust a Desperation Break (I like the sound of that now) cap in her (& the following bosses') ass.

Aha, you use Holy War, damage Adel greatly. Unfortunatly, you killed Rinoa too and got a Game Over.

Oh, and as for FF VII... It has some very confusing bits, which are the character identities, like Sentenal said. There's a spot in the game where you think you know Cloud, but a later sequence just tears that apart and make you see Cloud isn't what that part made him seem to be.

Sentenal said no such thing :)

PhantomBPR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2005, 04:00:08 pm »
YOU MUST PLAY IT, IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2005, 04:50:50 pm »
Quote from: PhantomBPR
YOU MUST PLAY IT, IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!

Er, no offense, but typing that in all caps and not stating any reasons for  why it's, "THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!", doesn't merit much respect for your opinion...

Anyways, I personally thought it was overrated, though I did enjoy it a bit. I thought the game was at its peak during the beginning when you were in Midgar, but then I thought it got boring when you left and started chasing after Sephiroth...for the rest of the game. I guess I just liked the whole, "Rebellion against gigantic corporation," bit of the plot better...

Still, I recommend at least a play through. To see if in your own mind to lives up to the (insane) hype it has...

Hadriel

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
I personally hated the rebellion against Shinra bit; it seemed like eco-freak bullshit, which was actually why I delayed playing the game.  I absolutely hate environmentalism; I took a lot of pleasure in kicking the shit out of the Reptites in CC for that reason.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2005, 05:40:47 pm »
Disc 1 is so close to being finished. I can't wait...

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/solid_star_16
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2005, 06:01:27 pm »
Yeah, it's a decent game, but not the best game ever.  It's got it's good points and its bad, like any game.  I do have to agree with Kazuki though, I liked the beginning Midgar stuff best.  Save the planet, blow stuff up.

The end boss, I also felt, was entirely too easy.  What they should have done is make the boss(es) proportionate to the level of your character, like Spekkio in CT or bosses in the Lunar series.  Or at least make him as hard as either of the Weapons (Ruby or Emerald).

In any case, it is worth at least a playthrough.

CronoVolta

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2005, 03:19:04 am »
I had bad experiences with FF7 fanboys and I guess that's why I tend to say it's overrated and whatnot. FF7 just brought the RPG home to America who before never fully embraced it in a mainstream sense. Before all rpgs were popular only in a cult-like sense, a fanatical cult-like sense, and of course completely home in Japan. That's probably and no what am talking about, THAT IS why it had the impact it had, and created so many zealous fans. It made it cool for everyone. It brought it home because it came at the right time and was everything it needed to be and more.

I think looking back what hit me so hard was the music of the game, it quite simply is the best music I've heard in any game except for CT. It still gets in my head from time to time.

I also loved FF8, and still think it has the greatest intro I've seen out of any game ever.

I find it weird that FF6 is the only game in the series to have a girl as it's main character. It's also my favorite. :)