Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 20495 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 05:39:29 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Yeah, the only way that Replayability could even possibly be higher would be if somehow there were unlockables/extras that actually improved upon any of the previous qualities/merits.

Not even that. If completing the game unlocks extras, then you aren't in a position to "replay" those extras when in fact you'll be encountering them for the first time. Radical Dreamers is a good example of this; you can only play one scenario at a time, and thus you'll have to see the end credits more than seven times simply to play the entire game once. I've always thought it was a bit backhanded of game developers to try and forcibly boost their replayability rating by not giving you the full meal the first time around, but Radical Dreamers treated that pretty well. I'd be much less forgiving if the extras were something unimportant like better armor.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 05:42:58 pm »
I'm going to see if Ramsus has Final Fantasy 7, and borrow it from his house as I did Chrono Cross. If push comes to shove, I will buy it.

It's just hard for me. It depresses me to no end that Final Fantasy 7 is now THE RPG; it's getting all this wonderful treatment with amazing computer generated characters and revivals. It hurts that Chrono Trigger is so stunted in a way because it was not released on the next generation of consoles after the SNES, and is thus sort of behind a veil of "classic influence to venerate" rather than "mainstream required playing." It really makes things feel abandoned on our end of things.

kickacecrono0091

Should I play FF7?
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:02 pm »
Put simply:You should play FF7 now. It's personally my second favorite game of all time. It was first, until I found Chrono Trigger. :D

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 05:46:39 pm »
Hey, if it makes you feel better, if I was the one who went around an set requirements for RPG play, I'd require Chrono Trigger, FF6, and FF4 to be played before any other game.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 05:51:34 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
I'm going to see if Ramsus has Final Fantasy 7, and borrow it from his house as I did Chrono Cross. If push comes to shove, I will buy it.

It's just hard for me. It depresses me to no end that Final Fantasy 7 is now THE RPG; it's getting all this wonderful treatment with amazing computer generated characters and revivals. It hurts that Chrono Trigger is so stunted in a way because it was not released on the next generation of consoles after the SNES, and is thus sort of behind a veil of "classic influence to venerate" rather than "mainstream required playing." It really makes things feel abandoned on our end of things.

Each generation of gamers has its own console, and all that sticky sentimentality therewith...

I think the 16-bit console / 8-bit handheld generation was the best to date, but then again that's the one where I came of age. People older than me swear by the Commodore 64 or the Atari 2600, while people younger than me are all over the Playstation 2 or the X-Box. I'd say the 16-bit era was when the hardware first had the technological capacity to really tap into the true potential of video games, and game developers went ahead with some bold new projects. But who knows, really? My list is a good starting point, but the question of the best generation of consoles is a fertile ground for continuing debate.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2005, 05:59:07 pm »
I'd add FFTactics, Star Ocean, & BoF3 (& maybe BoF2...I'd prefer a better translation before falling in love w/it, myself) to Sentenal's list. ^_^

It maybe be sad that CT was Square's last big hurrah on the SNES rather than it's first new game into the 3D, 32-bit era...But who knows?

Personally, I think that FFVII's popularity, while still the highest of any RPG, is waning. If people aren't realizing that it simply isn't that great, then they're realizing that there are better RPGs out there. With each new game, and especially each new console, a lot of new gamers flock to the newest RPG and a lot of the last generation criticizes it for not being the previous generation.

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2005, 06:05:13 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Hey, if it makes you feel better, if I was the one who went around an set requirements for RPG play, I'd require Chrono Trigger, FF6, and FF4 to be played before any other game.

I'd agree with those, but in reverse order (so you know the evolution of it).

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2005, 07:49:44 pm »
I didn't mean to give it any order.  In terms of greatness, I'd rank them FF4, CT, FF6.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2005, 09:50:45 pm »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
There's two words word that'll ruin the life for all you constent GF users out there: Sorceress Adel.

Word.

Quote from: V_Translanka
Oh, and Legend of the Past...That's when you whip out yer Auras & Holy Wars and bust a Desperation Break (I like the sound of that now) cap in her (& the following bosses') ass.

Or you could master the Junction system and kill her in like three commands, all of them being "Fight"

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2005, 09:51:59 pm »
Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever(exept Chrono Trigger R.D. C.C.).

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2005, 10:31:43 pm »
Quote from: BlueThunder
Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever(exept Chrono Trigger R.D. C.C.).

So, it's the fourth best game ever, then?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2005, 10:45:25 pm »
Fifth if you count Spaceballs: The Game.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2005, 11:22:35 pm »
Fifth if you count Spaceballs: The Game.

And I dont.   :P

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2005, 12:55:22 am »
How convoluted is the plot compared to that of Chrono Cross?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2005, 12:58:26 am »
How convoluted is the plot compared to that of Chrono Cross?

Try this.

You are mercinary for a terrorist group trying to take down a massive coorperation. Then, He appears. Then go on a 3 disc quest just to defeat this #1 Bad Boss.