Author Topic: Nu?  (Read 13659 times)

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 11:03:00 pm »
Wasn't the word Nu a thought to be a play on the word Mu, which means something of the extent of nothing and is a significant term in Zen Buddishm?

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 11:46:54 pm »
It does, actually. I also like the idea about the River Nile.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 02:04:57 am »
Chrono Trigger has a lot of mascots; recurring fuzzy creatures, as it were.

Nus, Kilwalas, those little toad creatures, Poyozos...

...what's interesting, is that we don't see any of these little guys in Chrono Cross.

They were these "octo blob" or "land octopi" as some liked to call them, in recurring places in the game (Sky Dragon Island, Shadow Forest, and Bend of Time).

But yeah, that's about it. I think the Nus were no more than mere mascots.
Who could headbutt you 90% of the way to your death with just one hit.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Nu?
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 04:23:08 pm »
90%? More like all but 1 HP.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 07:09:41 pm »
so it's more like 99%

Daniel Krispin

Nu?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 01:19:40 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
so it's more like 99%

Actually, for the majority of the game, it would be between 99.0% and 99.9%.

Well, I still maintain no significance for Nu beyond a simple mythological similiarity. This similarity, however, in no way requires it to have been concious on the part of the writers: myths tend to follow general trends, or have similarities, even in disconnected cultures. In writing Chrono Trigger, the writers likely thought of the same sorts of things that those who dreamed up myths did in ancient days, and Nus are thus similar, as I said, to Nymphs and spirits of the earth.

One cannot, I do not think, draw conclusions based upon similarities of the name. One might say it stems from Zen, but another from an Egyptian Heiroglyph (^^^... that one, right?); to me, Nu is the letter N in Greek. I seriously doubt that any of these are the root of the name, however. I think Occams Razor would be well applied here - the name of Nu is not something that should be made overly complex.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Nu?
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 07:32:02 am »
how anyone can say that a Nu is just another being is beyonf me. You can not compare them to humans. Humans have will and are free to evolve without concer (except for annihilation) whereas Nus seem to stay the same and just help you a lot, and a very random. They seem more like Angels of the Entity (if s/he exists)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 08:31:35 am »
Nu's use mops... Mops pick up spills... Nu means water in Ancient Egyptian.. Get the drift? lol XD That or they clean up the river of time lol.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 12:13:35 pm »
Actually, that's a great idea, Zaper. What if Nu's are from the DBT? What if they're the ones responsible for literally making the changes in history? That could explain why there's so many in Zeal and so little in others. In the others, time is usually pretty simple, but then we have Zeal. The kingdom whose fate kinda revolves around the whole world. And stuff.

Daniel Krispin

Nu?
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 06:26:32 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
Nu's use mops... Mops pick up spills... Nu means water in Ancient Egyptian.. Get the drift? lol XD That or they clean up the river of time lol.

Actually, that doesn't sound right. I might be mistaken, but I don't think Nu is water. Rather, it may be the deity for the Nile, or for water, but maybe not water itself. For some reason, I think another form of the name may be Nun.

Quote from: Encyclopedia Mythica
The primeval water that encircles the entire world, and from which everything was created, personified as a god. He is considered to be a more ancient god then the sun-god Re, who arose from this water. He is called 'father of the gods', which refers to his primacy rather than literal parentage. With the goddess Naunet he forms a pair in the Ogdoad of Hermopolis. Nun played no part in religious rituals and had no temples dedicated to him. He was symbolized by the sacred lakes associated with certain temples, such as the ones at Dendera and Karnak. Nun is depicted in human form holding the solar barque above his head.

So, in that way, I would think him similar to the Babylonian Tiamat, or the Greek Okeanos.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Nu?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 09:36:38 am »
When the Nu in the book says "all life begins..." yada yada yada, if you see, the final spekkio form is a nu. and he is in the end of time. see? see? *groans*

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 07:18:20 pm »
Yes, that's been said a zillion times.

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 07:52:44 pm »
Actually, the name "Nu" also associates with the whole time idea.
I'll explain soon, I promise (gtg right now ^_-).

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 10:38:06 pm »
Oh, and let us not forget that "nu" means "naked" in portuguese.

And, OMFG, look! Nus are naked!

Coincidence? I don't think so.

¬¬"

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Nu?
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 10:53:23 pm »
Radical Dreamer has a NU doll, I WANT!!