Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 09, 2003, 12:27:08 am

Author Topic: FFXI  (Read 4424 times)

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« on: December 09, 2003, 12:25:24 am »
This is just to continue the thread from the old site to talk about what you think about the game, and what you want to see added/subtracted to/from the game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
FFXI
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 06:37:10 am »
I said "no" for several reasons that I'll get into in a bit.

I for one have always been a supporter of Square(-Enix)'s idea to go online with their (Final Fantasy) games. It will prove to broaden their horizons to the MMORPG players, increase revenue due to online charges, and heck, it's just a plain slick new "Online" age idea fer Christmas sake.

Although I know I'll probably never play it. I for one DON'T like MMORPGs. They take away everything I admire about RPGs. The stories and the character development. Although I've heard plenty about FFXI doing good on those fronts, I still have my doubts.

Online charges ain't my kick. Heck I'm on a free 56k right now (Primitive? Yes. Effective? Yes, cost and basic online support.)!

I admire Square-Enix trying new things though. That has always been what I've seen them doing with their Final Fantasy series. Constant innovation of every sort they could muster. I don't condone them for putting this game online, I applaud them. Although I'm one of the people that thinks it would have been better (albeit not MUCH) if it were simply FF: Online and not an actual part of the series. I mean, it's a whole new genre fer cryin' out loud!

Oh yeah...I guess my not having a PS2 might fit into the mix somewhere too...

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
FFXI
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 06:55:08 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Although I'm one of the people that thinks it would have been better (albeit not MUCH) if it were simply FF: Online and not an actual part of the series. I mean, it's a whole new genre fer cryin' out loud!

Word.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 05:13:41 pm »
I will say this about FFXI, it doesn't matter what kind of connection you have (56k or broadband). You will not experience much lag in the game unless you are trying to fight an extremely hard King Behemoth with around 250 other people and a few Game Masters (GMs) for over three hours.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
FFXI
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:52:43 pm »
I banned myself from MMORPGs some time ago. After achieving certain strides in a particular game, I realized that there was no end and that one could never be satisfied. In addition, most skill-building is work, not play.

I now play FPSs mostly for online gaming and dedicate myself through fun, hard work to excellence.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 02:17:02 am »
For those who haven't heard yet, Square Enix will be adding PvP to FFXI (in a conquest related form) in an update coming in March. I'm not sure of the exact date, but it would  probably be just before the PS2 version is released.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 02:52:38 am »
Bwa and Ha!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
FFXI
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 05:48:32 pm »
My nearly-inconfigurable router makes my Bittorrent run slower than it should.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
FFXI
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 05:50:13 pm »
Quote from: Drumguy074
Bwa and Ha!

Oh, stfu.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 07:26:56 pm »
Now, ybrik also found out that in order to play FFXI he will have to purchase a new graphics card.  (In addition to finding a way through the TCU firewall.)

JustinS1985

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 11:51:57 pm »
He could just turn down the graphics resolution. . .worked for me.

YbrikMetaknight

• View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
FFXI
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 12:15:26 am »
I may be able to play it here on TCU's network.  But I have to get ahold of Square's people first, which I have been unable to do since contacting TCU's computer help desk on Friday.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
FFXI
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 02:25:13 am »
It's not a problem with performance.  It's a problem with compatability, in that his graphics card isn't compatable with the game at all.  I know because mine wasn't either.  In order to play he will need to purchase a new one.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
FFXI
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 05:35:22 pm »
So you are going to buy new hardware to buy new software that you are going to have to pay a subscription fee to use?

That sounds a bit pricy for one game...

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
FFXI
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 09:58:53 pm »
Assuming you play the game for a year and one month (not exactly one year, because of the free first month), it would cost you nearly $200 for FFXI and that many months of play.

Personally, I'd rather buy four games that aren't excellent but still good than spend $200 on one game over a year, especially if I would be having to buy new hardware (although I don't) to play it as well. Ah, the goodness of consoles - they can go years without being outdated, while computers are severely outdated nearly every year.