Author Topic: Hey Johnny.  (Read 8061 times)

Hindu_Pez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hindupez.com
Hey Johnny.
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:41:57 pm »
I was thinking about this at work today.

When you arrive circa 2300 AD in the ruined world, you race Johnny.

I was wondering a couple things.

Who is Johnny?
All we know about him is that he's some sort of racing bot/cyborg/vehicle, and that he thinks he's a greaser.
(just kiding)

Where did Johnny originate? Was he a creation of the Mother Brain, or something man made?

I'm sure that, in the grand scheme of things (especially in the many timelines in both CT and CC) Johnny's existence is rather unimportant, but I was curious just the same.
I just find it interesting that, in a world/time point almost devoid of humans, we have this interesting character that seems to have a bit of popularity in the robot/cyborg world.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:06:51 pm »
Well put, Hindu. Johnny is an often overlooked character of Chrono Trigger. But, unlike many of the game's other puzzles, I think this one is easily solved. Japan has a fascination with the post-apocalyptic dystopian technopolis, which of course is 2300 A.D. Chrono Trigger to the hilt, and one of the common archetypes that populates these blasted, sprawling urban scapes is that of the young, energetic leader, typically of a shoddy gang of streetsmart, world-weary peers. Almost always a male, he has a righteous attitude and a sense of a honor that makes him more than just the thug that you might otherwise take him to be if you look at his gang as a whole. He usually looks handsome, commands the respect and admiration of his followers, and, importantly, is a real hotshot with some type of technology, always new and gleaming, set apart from the decaying, endless city where they live. (I am thinking of the Kaneda's biker gang out of Akira as a good comparison to Johnny's biker gang in Chrono Trigger.) Sometimes their mods encroach into their very bodies, and they become part cyborg. This archetype, of course, describes Johnny very well. He is a classic page out of postmodern Japanese culture.

Did anyone else notice his corpse on the highway in the Dead Sea? I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned here.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:26:27 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Did anyone else notice his corpse on the highway in the Dead Sea? I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned here.

REALLY?! I'll have to look into that. Thankfully, I've a back up save file saved right at the Dead Sea.

Where do I find this corpse? The highway, the city, or the Tower of Geddon?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 01:28:35 pm »
Quote from: Zenning

REALLY?! I'll have to look into that. Thankfully, I've a back up save file saved right at the Dead Sea.

If I remember correctly, it's almost right at the beginning, on one of the very first highway segments. (Then again, I could be wrong!)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:25:04 pm »
Its right after you fight the Highwayman, I think...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 02:29:29 pm »
Quote from: Zenning

It has been mentioned, I think there's even a screenshot somewhere in some topic. Johnny is in the Highway, his "corpse" appears when you beat Highwayman (Highwayman exploses and there's Johnny's shell... Highwayman = Johnny?).

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 05:16:13 pm »
I always saw Johnny as kind of a regular guy, just with a built in wheelchair.  I don't think he's a machine.  Although many would argue he is, especially because of his "appearance" in CC, but I think that particular segment is more of an homage than anything.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 05:16:38 pm »
Yeah, that may be the only conclusion. Some people at AllRPG still believe that I faked that screenshot somehow :).

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 07:01:14 pm »
Care to post that shot, Z?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 07:08:23 pm »
I believe this is it, or at least is the one I saw:

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 07:13:50 pm »
Wow.

Poor Johnny.

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 07:26:06 pm »
That looks a hell of a lot clearer than when i was in the highway ruins and saw the same thing. The alleged johnny was there before i fought the highway man though. And the view is such that you cant make it out. it could be johnny but it simply isnt clear enough to make it out for certain.

But the jet bike from ct IS one screen down so i believe it.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 07:34:27 pm »
Quote from: Eggith Cyrene
That looks a hell of a lot clearer than when i was in the highway ruins and saw the same thing. The alleged johnny was there before i fought the highway man though. And the view is such that you cant make it out. it could be johnny but it simply isnt clear enough to make it out for certain.

That's just what I was going to say (I always thought that blur was some dysfunctional chest or something).

Wow, I missed the Jet bike too? Damn.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 07:40:54 pm »
I was using Jabo's D3D, so all the 3D character models were very clear. Peops would have produced an ugly mess.

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Hey Johnny.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 08:20:27 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
Quote from: Eggith Cyrene

That's just what I was going to say (I always thought that blur was some dysfunctional chest or something).

Wow, I missed the Jet bike too? Damn.

The blue Jet Bike from Chrono Trigger?!

I saw some orange "jet bikes," but never the blue ones.

And I NEVER saw Johnny's corpse at that sight before OR after defeating Highway Man!

NOW I really must look into that scene!

I still think you're lying...

EDIT:

I just checked it out for myself.

There's definitely something there that resembles Johnny.

Just faintly, but it looks just like it does in the screenshot given on this thread.

As for the blue jet bike from Chrono Trigger, didn't see it.

There were plenty of orange "jet bikes" lying all over, but no blue one.

I of course, put "jet bikes" in quotations in case of the orange ones, as
those might actually be automobiles, and not jet bikes.