Author Topic: Not Learning a Triple Tech  (Read 1789 times)

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
Not Learning a Triple Tech
« on: March 06, 2023, 05:50:10 pm »
Hi, everybody. Long time no see. I'm working on a cleanup release of the Schala Edition patch that fixes some bugs reported over time.

This one actually wasn't reported, but I noticed that Chrono-Frog-Ayla never learn their Triple Tech. I've double and triple checked Hi-Tech in Temporal Flux to make sure I have the Performance Group and Tech Requirements set properly, and I do. I also looked at that spot in a hex editor to make sure that what Hi-Tech displayed was accurate, and it was.

Any ideas? This is only happening to this one Triple Tech.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Not Learning a Triple Tech
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 06:49:55 pm »
I ran into this same problem a while back. Check the five bytes at $0C27F0--they should be 8C 6F 01 9C 28. At some point Temporal Flux wrote FF FF 00 00 00 there while I was mucking around with other dual Techs. Never tracked down exactly what happened.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 10:35:55 pm »
Hey hey, that fixed it!  Now I can release my patch!

Thank you, inuksuk, I am in your debt!

8)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 11:56:34 pm »
Man, ya'll are awesome. I love this community. That's such an obscure bug and I love how people can come together.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 12:22:19 am »
I'll test some things in Hi-Tech and see if I can address this.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:55:56 pm »
I was able to replicate the issue by changing Marle's Tech prerequisite to learn "Double Cure" from Cure 2 to regular Cure (or by changing the prerequisite for Cure Wave to regular Cure). TF seems to write over ten bytes at $0C27F0--I'd only noticed the five before since it caused the issue with learning 3D Attack.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 04:37:44 am »
Fixed a couple bugs in Hi-Tech.

The first was a minor one, the first group was being saved as having one too many techs in it.

The second one was actually causing issues. The last evaluated group was not being written back to the requirement data.

The FF FF 00 00 00 data still gets written once at 0x0C27F5. The original data there is FF FF 02 05 00, but this change doesn't matter. Technical details on why follow.

The tech requirements groups indicate the PCs involved, the first tech, the number of techs learned by the group, and a pointer to the first set of techs needed to learn (offset in that PC's list).

The FF FF 00 00 00 dummy data indicates that if all 8 PCs are in the active party, starting at tech 255, this group can learn 0 techs based on data starting at 0x0C0000.

The original data in that spot indicates that if all 8 PCs are in the active party, starting at tech 255, this group can learn 2 techs based on data starting at 0x0C0005.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 03:04:22 pm »
Well done!