Poll

Did you lose anybody in the attack?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
12 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 11, 2005, 12:35:31 pm

Author Topic: Never Forget...  (Read 11641 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Never Forget...
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2009, 02:15:47 pm »
I have to say, I do like this poll, simply because of all the "no's" it got. I'm glad most of us didn't have to go through that.

As far as I can tell, the current war in Afghanistan seems to be going...well, not terribly, but some oomph needs to be added. Civilian deaths are going to happen in any war. Its unfortunate, but the most we can hope for is that our troops have enough sense and decency to minimalize casualties. As long as we don't have another My Lai or Abu Gharib, I'm optimistic.

All the same, kill us some terrorists, boys! Hooah!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2009, 06:15:23 pm »
The My Lai massacre showed the worst and best of the American spirit. Hugh Thompson, Jr., is the kind of hero you'd only expect to see in a very well-written drama; in fact, I'm surprised they haven't already made a movie about that episode.

It doesn't help us that people are accusing Hamid Karzai of stuffing ballot boxes just like Ahmadinejad next door.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »
my aunt and i were never close. she lived out in cali for some reason, even though the rest of my family lives out here in connecticut. she moved there with her husband. she had flown over here to visit us. apparently my dad and she were close. i always regarded her as the insane cat loving aunt that everyone has. she smelled of weird old lady perfume and cat litter. for some reason her flight wasnt out of hartford but out of boston. my dad drove her there and she got on the plane. dunno which flight it was.
at school i was in english. we werent doing anything; we had just taken a test so we were goofing off. one of the kids asked to put on the television because we were sick of playing card games. the teacher turned on the television...
... and we saw a plane hit the second tower.
we were like 'HOLY SHIT MAN WHAT THE HELL' and my teacher was like 'HOLY FUCK!!' (no lie) we watched and we told all the other teachers and they had a lot of reactions. one of them wasnt sure if we were spinning a tale (i was notorious for that kind of thing) and another thought it was just a television program. but then they turned on their televisions and were like 'hot damn.'

when i got home my dad was all panicky. he told me that my aunt was on one of those flights. shes presumed dead.
i find it strange how when something like this happens you change how you think of them. before i thought of all the crazy shit she did and how she smelled of old lady house. now i find that old lady house smell comforting and think of only the good times with her, like before she moved to cali. she took me sledding once. she also brought me a lot of souvenirs from cali. i still have a ticky tacky snowglobe with hollywood in it, as well as a teddybear with some kind of california signet on it.

i guess ive moved on though. i dont feel sad anymore.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2009, 09:14:16 pm »
What do you guys think of the war in Afghanistan nowadays? I get this sense that the media is treating it like another Vietnam (just like how they eventually treated the Iraq War to a considerable degree) but I'm glad the US has its "eye on the ball" again, so to speak. Now if we could stop killing Afghan civilians -- even on a strategic level, that's going to come back to bite us in the ass.
Iraq is still treated like Vietnam, in my opinion. Afghanistan, on the other hand, seems to be the forgotten war: people don't remember when it began, why we're there, what we're doing, how it's going, etc. The killing of civilians is deplorable, regardless of where it is, so why the hell does no one seem to care? That story was barely reported on...And apparently a majority of US citizens (well, technically just the people polled) feel that we should pull out of Afghanistan now...Or maybe they feel that we're "losing"? Madness.

By the way, is it me or does it seem like more people have gotten over 9/11? I didn't see the US pride shirts, or American flag lapels, or anything like that. I didn't get a chance to watch the news today, but I'm sure most of it was just token nods to eight years ago.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear about your aunt Zombie. If it was out of Boston, it was either American Airlines Flight 11 or United Airlines 175 from what I understand. Damn...

Last year the Obama Campaign shut down for the day in memory of the tragedy. If it's beginning to slip from peoples' minds, politicians remain utterly careful not to offend those who still keep this day...er, semi-sacred, or however you'd call it.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2009, 11:05:44 pm »
Eight years...
I don't even remember what I was doing then, or how I felt.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:42 am »
Knock Knock

Who's there?

9/11

9/11 who?

YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER FORGET!

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2009, 12:25:55 am »
Well, the wounds have healed up, especially after this past year of bitter cynicism. Today will always hold a significant place in our heart, just as the bombing of Pearl Harbor does for our grandparents. That'll never go away.

But to use an analogy, it seems that our wounds have scabbed up, and its best not to poke at it and make it fester. Don't drag yourself through the memory anymore than is necessary.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2009, 03:40:42 am »
This is actually the year that I've really cracked a joke about 9/11.

I guess now that Bush is gone that cloud has been lifted and we can finally feel free.

One last note: Does California have a budget?

♪ Unless it's a budget
--Without taxes!

One final note, I live in California, and we're still don't have a budget.

September 11th has come and gone once again. So yet again, I close this topic. Hopefully by this time next year, California will have a budget.

I can't remember if we finally passed one or not. If we don't, this is exactly why I'm getting the fuck out of here.

EDIT: Well, The 11th has come and gone, the topic will be locked away as usual. Blah Blah Blah Never forget.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:09:11 pm by nightmare975 »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »
Blah blah blah, 9/11, blah blah blah have some cake!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2010, 05:13:30 am »
Bleh, this guy doesn't even deserve a cake, unless it's a poisoned one...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2010, 05:39:12 am »
Nah, what do you have to do before eating a cake?
Chopping it into pieces of course.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

Why anybody would trivialize 9/11 by turning it into a birthday cake is beyond me. It is both macabre and purile. To the person who ever finds the decorator for this cake, do me a favor: push him or her down a flight of stairs for even conceiving such an idea.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »
The cake brings up a timely question though:

Which is more distasteful? The cake or the mosque that's purported to be built two blocks away?

I think the American populace would do itself a big favor by asking this question, and examining the deeper meaning behind the answer.

(PS: The cake is a lie!)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2010, 02:11:54 am »
Nine years... not much to talk about anymore.

Blah blah blah Never forget.