Poll

Did you lose anybody in the attack?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
12 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 11, 2005, 12:35:31 pm

Author Topic: Never Forget...  (Read 11753 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Never Forget...
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
Kids are such asses. A lot of my friends in High school are skipping today. They think its messed up its not a holiday, and they still have school. They claim to be remembering the attack when are just using this as an excuse to go out, absolutely sick. Then again some of then are skipping to mourn, they say its horrible that we get days of for dead presidents but not dead Americans!?! But none of then knew what happened on December 7th when asked.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2008, 05:05:06 pm »
Put on “The Star Stealing Girl” from Chrono Cross and join me in a bit of reflection. It merits mention that, in the past seven years…

1.   We have failed to apprehend or kill the person most responsible for the attacks. In an apology for that disgraceful failure, many of the administration’s supporters have resorted to claiming that Osama bin Laden is no longer important. It is enough to make me wonder if these people believe anything they say.

2.   We lifted up Afghanistan from the clutches of right-wing religious theocracy, only to let it fade back into tribalism and Taliban theocracy due to our lack of attentiveness to the needs of the people there, our lack of understanding of their ways, our lack of real concern, and our refusal to commit enough money and manpower to make a difference.

3.   We have completely destroyed a nation, Iraq, and plunged those of its people who have not yet been slaughtered into a generation of terror, poverty, civil war, religious fanaticism, and the all the most horrific sexism of Islamic law as interpreted (and enforced) by young male radicals. In return for our efforts, we have gotten more of our own people killed than died on September 11 itself, and have amassed a fiscal debt that will not be repaid in the lifetimes of many Americans living today.

4.   Terrorism globally has risen and world political stability has waned, despite our nominal successes against al Qaeda in particular. America’s ability to prevent another terrorist attack on its own soil has been hindered by self-defeating policy, bureaucratic mismanagement, funding shortfalls, and a lack of real interest by the administration.

5.   We have lost the best portion of our standing and our power to check adversarial nations like Iran, Russia, Venezuela, Pakistan, Sudan, and others.

6.   Many of our quintessential American liberties, and a few essential democratic ones, have been nullified formally or for all practical purposes, in exchange for a false sense of security that will inevitably be exposed for the sham that it is, probably the hard way.

7.   The American people may remember the shock of being attacked, but have learned nothing from the experience, and have long since squandered any opportunity to better themselves in the aftermath of tragedy. Since that day, we have chosen to abandon our twentieth century leadership, and the unraveling of our superpower is underway. The terrorists probably could not have hoped for much better.

George Bush and his administration deserve much of the blame for the humiliating road we have taken in the past seven years, but the fact of the matter is that we let it happen. We voted this loser into office when such a superior alternative was available. We accepted his feeble logic and supported his conspicuously wretched policies when we should have known better. We reelected him when history gave us the chance to repent. And the truth of the matter is that, for as much as we despise him, we think a lot like he does.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
Put on “The Star Stealing Girl” from Chrono Cross and join me in a bit of reflection. It merits mention that, in the past seven years…
I woke up to Departed Souls, this morning of all things.

1.   We have failed to apprehend or kill the person most responsible for the attacks. In an apology for that disgraceful failure, many of the administration’s supporters have resorted to claiming that Osama bin Laden is no longer important. It is enough to make me wonder if these people believe anything they say.
I don't think I have heard anything about "he's not important" from supporters.

2.   We lifted up Afghanistan from the clutches of right-wing religious theocracy, only to let it fade back into tribalism and Taliban theocracy due to our lack of attentiveness to the needs of the people there, our lack of understanding of their ways, our lack of real concern, and our refusal to commit enough money and manpower to make a difference.
I don't think thats in any way our fault, to be honest there culture for the most part is absolutely disgusting. We tried to change that, but its impossible for an outsider to do it. If they're to come out of there rut then it will be by their own hands. True for any culture.

3.   We have completely destroyed a nation, Iraq, and plunged those of its people who have not yet been slaughtered into a generation of terror, poverty, civil war, religious fanaticism, and the all the most horrific sexism of Islamic law as interpreted (and enforced) by young male radicals. In return for our efforts, we have gotten more of our own people killed than died on September 11 itself, and have amassed a fiscal debt that will not be repaid in the lifetimes of many Americans living today.
Same as above.

4.   Terrorism globally has risen and world political stability has waned, despite our nominal successes against al Qaeda in particular. America’s ability to prevent another terrorist attack on its own soil has been hindered by self-defeating policy, bureaucratic mismanagement, funding shortfalls, and a lack of real interest by the administration.
I blame not only America for this but a majority of the "Civil" world. There were to ways to stop terrorism, at our home or theirs. We tried to take it to theirs but were constantly held back but other countries choose home. Either would have worked but mix-matching policies doesn't.

5.   We have lost the best portion of our standing and our power to check adversarial nations like Iran, Russia, Venezuela, Pakistan, Sudan, and others.
I do agree with you there on a popularity level, but not in power. We can still take any of then out, thats just often more harm then good.

6.   Many of our quintessential American liberties, and a few essential democratic ones, have been nullified formally or for all practical purposes, in exchange for a false sense of security that will inevitably be exposed for the sham that it is, probably the hard way.
Quoted for truth.

7.   The American people may remember the shock of being attacked, but have learned nothing from the experience, and have long since squandered any opportunity to better themselves in the aftermath of tragedy. Since that day, we have chosen to abandon our twentieth century leadership, and the unraveling of our superpower is underway. The terrorists probably could not have hoped for much better.
No I think its not that we haven't learned its that we learned the wrong lesson. Now people instead of seeking out the problem hunting or conforming known Terrorist. The protect them selfs, they build walls and shun the outside. That just makes seeing an assassin all the more difficult.

George Bush and his administration deserve much of the blame for the humiliating road we have taken in the past seven years, but the fact of the matter is that we let it happen. We voted this loser into office when such a superior alternative was available. We accepted his feeble logic and supported his conspicuously wretched policies when we should have known better. We reelected him when history gave us the chance to repent. And the truth of the matter is that, for as much as we despise him, we think a lot like he does.
He is a pretty piss poor president yes, but I think people just like to blame the man in charge. The claim the could have done better that that pure crap. His a bad leader but hes still a better leader then most put him out to be.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »
And J, we can never get out of our debt, it's near to impossible, Bush just made it more impossible.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2008, 12:16:28 am »
And J, we can never get out of our debt, it's near to impossible, Bush just made it more impossible.

Nothing is impossible, the will just has to be there first.

Unfortunately, no one has the will. It would be nice if that would change, however.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2008, 02:07:26 am »

Nothing is impossible, the will just has to be there first.

Unfortunately, no one has the will. It would be nice if that would change, however.

One of the only ways to get of the debt would be to raise taxes, which would be unthinkable. Unless someone has a better plan.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2008, 02:11:39 am »
Its funny our taxes are nothing compared to that of many other counties, my god look at France.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2008, 03:30:37 am »
Its funny our taxes are nothing compared to that of many other counties, my god look at France.

That's because Americans refuse to pay taxes if they go too high, ignorant bastards.

A country needs to survive people!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2008, 10:35:25 am »
♪ Nothing's as scary as
--Anthrax is!
♪ Unless it's a budget
--Without taxes!
♪♪ You can't have it!
♪♪ You can't have it all!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2008, 03:03:09 pm »
♪ Unless it's a budget
--Without taxes!

One final note, I live in California, and we're still don't have a budget.

September 11th has come and gone once again. So yet again, I close this topic. Hopefully by this time next year, California will have a budget.

And remember: Never forget

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2009, 04:55:52 am »
Hey look everyone, it's that time again.

:picardno9/11 NEVER FORGET! :picardno
Okay, Bush is gone, we got Obama, the world is starting to look a little brighter, right?

I'm not going to go that much into politics this year on the count that Obama hasn't done much to warrant a review yet.

Oh, and the Middle East is still fucked.

Once again, this topic is opened to everyone to discuss politics, bad memories, etc.

On September 12th the topic will be locked again.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:41 am »
Aye, I admit I did think of September 11 all the way back on September 9, so it is still in my mind, but it feels "in the past" this year. That's the first time. I, for one, have moved on.

But you're right. We should not forget these moments of infamy in history...

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:49 am »
I still remember sitting in 8th grade taking an Algebra test and hearing the announcement on the intercom:

"Teachers, if you have a radio in your room, please tune it to 600 AM. A tragedy has occurred."

We all stopped what we were doing, started looking around at each other, and then we heard on the radio what happened. We looked at each other in disbelief. Literally, we could not grasp the fact that such a long-standing monument to consumerism had been destroyed. You saw them all the time in movies, and postcards and crap. Then you realize that there were people on almost every floor of the towers. That's when the crying started. One of our classmates had a broken family, and their dad worked in WTC2. Thankfully, he got out in time. This was a traumatizing day for all of us.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:05 am »
i remember that day. i was going to school. i remember looking outside the window in my english class. the sky was so perfectly blue. not a cloud dared to hide it.
and then they started having us have a bunch of moments of silence. i didnt know what was going on. were we honoring this beautiful day? but then i got home and my dad was like 'Matt something really bad happened today...'

i think my aunt was on one of those planes. theyre still looking for her.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 02:09:13 pm »
Holy shit, Zombie. Are they still treating your aunt as a missing person then? Did you guys get a confirmation on her flight number that day?

Man, I was sitting in 11th grade chemistry class. The history teacher next door literally burst in shouting and ordered the chem teacher to turn on the TV.

What do you guys think of the war in Afghanistan nowadays? I get this sense that the media is treating it like another Vietnam (just like how they eventually treated the Iraq War to a considerable degree) but I'm glad the US has its "eye on the ball" again, so to speak. Now if we could stop killing Afghan civilians -- even on a strategic level, that's going to come back to bite us in the ass.

If any US military personnel (or any allied military personnel) are reading this, thank you for your service. We pacifists live in considerable luxury given that we have a choice...for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:17:34 pm by FaustWolf »