Author Topic: Vehicles: Epoch and Blackbird  (Read 9152 times)

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Vehicles: Epoch and Blackbird
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:18:29 pm »
I've some questions regarding these two Zealian vehicles.

Number one being, what's their power source? Do they run on some kind of engine? What kind of engine would you suppose? Some kind of conventional engine, using technology known to us even in our own time, or an engine that uses magic?

I mean, if Zeal depending on the Mammon Machine to provide Lavos's life force as a power source, and we don't see either vehicle in action until after Zeal is destroyed and the Mammon Machine is lost...

...well, I guess my point is, neither vehicle uses Lavos's life force as a power source, do they?

And, how does the Epoch travel through time? It doesn't have even of the previous features that would allow it do so, unless it DOES use Lavos's power, or Dreamstone, or if it can actually communicate with The Entity to open a Time Gate (if indeed The Entity does open Time Gates).

Well, those are it for my questions.

I'd just like to say, it's a damn shame we don't get to use the Epoch's laser more often. Remember when you can crash through Lavos's shell with the Epoch, bypassing it completely? They could have made a shooting scene out of that...

...I'm just sorry that we had to end up shooting down the Black Bird. That was one awesome warship. I wanted to have it for my very own...

...and lastly, after you get the Epoch, and you get to fly around, why doesn't anyone in the towns mention seeing a strange silvery flying thing about? You'd think that someone would have something to say, espcially when it's pretty conspicuous...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 12:22:17 pm »
First off, I'm guessing that the Epoch runs on pure science.  That is, all engine and "physics" and no magic, as Belthasar I'm sure had no access to any when he made it in 2300.  

As for no one saying anything about seeing the Epoch flying around, it might be one of those RPG stereotypes, or maybe laws.  It seems that people rarely say anyting about things that the party itself does that you would already know about.  Which the Epoch fall into, in this case.

Discoman

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:23:55 pm »
The Black Bird was probably powered by Lavos's energy. Considering that Zeal used it as a power source.
  While the Epoch .. is a mystery, ....... actually since Dalton did change it around it probably does use magic.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 02:53:23 pm »
The Neo Epoch is powered by an antiproton drive, which allows it the power of time travel. He did use magic, presumably, when creating it, as he specifically states in the game that he used the power of magic to help build Chronopolis and Project Kid.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 09:29:04 pm »
The Black Bird was probably powered by Lavos's energy. Considering that Zeal used it as a power source.

huggawizzawhat? completely false. The Blackbird was a warship. Nothing more.

Anyway, yea, for both machines: Magic. Duh.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:01:21 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
The Neo Epoch is powered by an antiproton drive, which allows it the power of time travel. He did use magic, presumably, when creating it, as he specifically states in the game that he used the power of magic to help build Chronopolis and Project Kid.

Was it really stated? Or didn't he just simply say that he was able to advance his research with the help of his magic and the futures technology?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:08:51 am »
Well, uh, this thread may hold some light for Epoch...It's in this same forum...Don't know how you could have missed it...

What does the Epoch use as an energy and does it even need 1

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 10:27:05 am »
The Epoch is powered by the Sum of all human spiritual energy that has every existed, that power is amplified and powers the Epoch.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Re: Vehicles: Epoch and Blackbird
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 03:16:51 pm »
Quote from: Zenning

...and lastly, after you get the Epoch, and you get to fly around, why doesn't anyone in the towns mention seeing a strange silvery flying thing about? You'd think that someone would have something to say, espcially when it's pretty conspicuous...

In 12,000 the Earthbound elder says "Whoa tha ship can fly!" it would seem very redundant if every person you talked to was like "Hey did you see that flying ship?"

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:35:51 pm »
The Epoch is powered by the Sum of all human spiritual energy that has every existed, that power is amplified and powers the Epoch.

Where'd you get this fact?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 10:17:08 pm »
The Blackbird flew by the lift underneath its wings, and looked to be propelled by jets or thrusters. Now, whether those thrusters are running on coal or ether is up to debate, but, fuel source notwithstanding, the Blackbird's propulsion system is completely mechanical.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 03:54:36 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight

Game evidence. Robo states it when you use the epoch for the first time.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 04:41:35 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
Quote from: AuraTwilight

Game evidence. Robo states it when you use the epoch for the first time.

Would you care to cite that from the script? I remember no such line, nor could I find one when I looked. I think you may be misremembering things. The only thing I found that sounds even remotely like what you're talking about is this bit before using the Epoch to penetrate Lavos:

Quote from: Robo
The odds are not good...

Perhaps if Epoch's
   energy and our own vitality are
   combined...

And, as you can see, that's clearly not what you were trying to say.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 08:22:50 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
The Blackbird flew by the lift underneath its wings, and looked to be propelled by jets or thrusters. Now, whether those thrusters are running on coal or ether is up to debate, but, fuel source notwithstanding, the Blackbird's propulsion system is completely mechanical.

I think it's possible that the Epoch is fueled at least somewhat Magically. Perhaps by something similar to Dreamstone or the Sun Stone?

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 06:27:46 pm »
It always seemed to me that the Epoch was made out of Dreamstone (What else can penetrate Lavos and unite it's energy with the user's vitality?)