Author Topic: Let's Play 2023 - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete  (Read 19365 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2023, 06:49:13 am »
Hey, Boo!! I've been busy running around these past few days, so I'm happy we're actually taking it super slow. I'm still in the Sluice Forest I'm gonna see the scene with Lucia and perverted Hiro then I'm gonna make my way to Azado. by what you said I'm probably gonna have to go back to the Sluice Forest to grind for Silver to get all the equipment upgrades but I'll probably talk to the townspeople in between battle.

Oh, I usually watch the Making of disc as a bonus / treat whenever I finish a playthrough anyway. O-M-G that you haven't watched the EBC Making of disc you're in for a treat!!!

I actually dunno why I like Lemina, it's been so long ago that I first played and had my favorite characters that I dunno where the love stemmed from. I think it's just because I liked Mia so much in the first game SSSC that it trickled down to her ancestor fellow Ausa gal Lemina. :shrug: I've always liked all the Ausa women cause they always have a variation of the name -ia. lol Lemia, Mia, Miria, Lemina. :p

I've just been running around buying things for the farmhouse that I need like: kitchen spray to get all the grease/oil splatter near the stoves, random cleaning supplies like just dustrags and things to wipe things off with, I also bought some groceries because I'm trying to be a chef in the kitchen / make "healthy" foods since I'm in the middle of a weightloss journey. I've also been doing a lot of e-shopping so I have to wait around for deliveries all day and such. Just in general trying to keep myself busy with a lot of sweeping and cleaning the bathroom everyday, we have a lot of dust here on the farm cause Zambales is like really dry and hot (not like desert though). Dust gets in the house everyday and if I don't clean it off the floors I cough a lot when I'm trying to go to sleep in bed at night. I'm also taking care of my dogs (not that that's really all that important) just buying them stuff they need and such. I try not to get too emotionally attached to my animals after the trauma of losing my first dog but I can't help it and I'm always looking for new treats, doggy toys, blankets & beds that'll make them feel more comfortable in the place. I bought some mouthwash too.

Lol I could go on and on but don't worry about me and our playthrough I'm having a great time and a blast just getting to really analyze the game that much more deeply. Being stuck in a town for days really helps me if I want to go back and re-read everyone's lines again that I might've not understood the first time though? Anyway, yeah, lol...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2023, 01:23:53 am »
Hey homie! I just finished my short gaming session and I took it slow again today and mainly just explored Azado. I haven't moved onto the next major event yet and figured I'd wait for you before I proceed. No pressure on the time front.

Oh, I usually watch the Making of disc as a bonus / treat whenever I finish a playthrough anyway. O-M-G that you haven't watched the EBC Making of disc you're in for a treat!!!

...I'm pretty sure I've only watched the SSSC Making Of disc once or twice, so I really need to watch that one again... but yeah, I have NEVER seen the one for ESB. I'm pumped to watch it, although I'll probably have to find a copy on YouTube. I don't think I ever scanned the discs when I digitized my archive.

I've just been running around buying things for the farmhouse that I need like: kitchen spray to get all the grease/oil splatter near the stoves, random cleaning supplies like just dustrags and things to wipe things off with, I also bought some groceries because I'm trying to be a chef in the kitchen / make "healthy" foods since I'm in the middle of a weightloss journey.

You're killing it, dude! Keep it up! I find when I have the little things in my life taken care, my mental state is just so much more at peace. When the house is a wreck and I'm eating horrible and not getting much exercise, I look and feel horrible. I'm down about 30 pounds from this time last year and have been doing cardio runs and some weights about every other day, and every aspect of my self is improved: my mental state is more balanced, my immune system is much better, and overall I feel much healthier. Keep it up, man!

I try not to get too emotionally attached to my animals after the trauma of losing my first dog but I can't help it and I'm always looking for new treats, doggy toys, blankets & beds that'll make them feel more comfortable in the place. I bought some mouthwash too.

I'm the same way, man. I hate owning animals because I get attached. I feel like if I have the responsibility of owning a pet (usually not my choice because of my wife and kids), I have to do the responsible thing and give them a quality life experience.

I even feel that way about my chickens! I wouldn't want to eat them (although when I bought them that was certainly the intent, once they stopped laying), and I oddly love them. I call them 'my girls' and when I go outside they all run to me. If you've ever seen a chicken run, it's a hilarious sight. We don't cuddle, but they follow me around the yard and I hand feed them treats and snacks and stuff. A few of them I will pick up and pet. One of them had cancer and died last summer and I even got choked up and cried a little.

Alright brother, I'm out. I'll catch you tomorrow!

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2023, 07:41:25 am »
Hello Boo, I was hoping we'd be able to take it slow lol. I'm right where you are I've talked to everyone in Azado and I just haven't moved the story along. I think we should both each just finished this small little part in Azado as I'm pretty sure it's the last town you visit before Disc 1 ends. We should just both move forward... I still have to do a little grinding in the Sluice Forest for equips but I should just be able to get it done tonight and tomorrow I'll hurry the story along. C:

-Yep, I just got two brand new maids to help do housework / housestaff so they're helping me a bunch with taking the load off my shoulders when it comes to cleaning the house. They cleaned the kitchen area really well today and I asked if they could do my bedroom tmmr. lol. I'm very meticulously clean they pretty much do the brunt of the cleaning and I come in after with a toothbrush and clean the corners and stuff. I was woken up early by my dog this morning so I've been up for hours and but I'm kinda tired right now. As we speak I still have to do a bit of organizing and such. I might even clean my bathroom at around midnight tonight. LOL

- Yeah. Exercise. I try to just do something everyday but everyday I have to go for an hour walk to clear my head of garbage and nonsense thoughts, I also do a bit of stretching (for flexibility and mobility) and yoga because long, sedentary hours in front of the console / T.V. / computer really makes me feel stiff to the bone. I don't kill myself w/ exercise but if I'm sitting for like 1-2hrs. I try to get up and out of the house and do something... lol. The word sedentary kills me these days. :D

Oh, I just love my dogs regardless. I try to spoil them cause they're the king and queen of the house...

Well, my farm is actually more of a chicken farm than anything we raise a lot of chickens from egg to adult / and we make use of both the females and the males. In the Philippines, cockfighting is a national sport much like boxing so the males don't get wasted (some ppl think they're useless?) a lot of dudes go to arenas and watch them fight. I think it's illegal in the U.S. though? I was gon take pictures today but forgot. I'll post it tmmr.

I'm used to seeing the chickens get slaughtered so no worries man. I get a little choked up too when it comes to any animal.

Ok, so I'm gonna grind in the forest to get Azado equips tonight. Tomorrow, I'll just cont. the story. Nice meeting up with you again brother! C:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2023, 01:02:42 am »
Your wish is granted and I'm going slow tonight, hahaha...

I thought I'd have a long free night to play a lot of games, but tonight ended up being a slumber party for my daughter and her friends, so I'm on fun dad duty. I'll have to move forward in the story tomorrow -- tonight I just went back to Sluice Forest and grinded a little. Like you said, the Silver is excellent in these battles. Even though I'm good on gear, I'll have more Silver for the next town and set up upgrades.

Funny that the town has a weapon named specifically for Jean! Is there a dark conspiracy afoot...?

Well, my farm is actually more of a chicken farm than anything we raise a lot of chickens from egg to adult / and we make use of both the females and the males.

I grew up thinking chickens were really stupid. Even though they're not very smart, I've definitely been surprised by their intelligence and unique personalities. Even in the same species, I've seen unique personalities. We have three types: brahma, ameraucana, and wyendotte. We're talking about getting cinnamin queens in the spring. Although with the egg prices here in the states right now (prices have doubled recently - a dozen eggs is pushing $7 USD at the moment), a lot of people are trying to buy chicks. Little do they know it will take 6 months or more to start getting eggs. Hahaha!

In the Philippines, cockfighting is a national sport much like boxing so the males don't get wasted (some ppl think they're useless?) a lot of dudes go to arenas and watch them fight. I think it's illegal in the U.S. though?

I had neighbors that would raise roosters just for cockfighting. They lived in little lean-to structures and had little leashes attached to their feet so they couldn't get to each other. It definitely happens here (especially in rural areas), but like you said, it's illegal.

Anyway, I'm going back into dad mode. I'll pick the game up tomorrow afternoon and it's time to finally wrap up disc 1!

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2023, 06:39:19 am »
Hey, Boo. I really like it when we take it slow. lol I didn't realize doing all the chores in the household takes me so much time and effort. I like it when we spend a few days grinding in one spot. lol So anyways, I was thinking about moving the story along for myself tonight though since I just have time tonight. I won't trudge too far ahead I'll probably just finish the event in Azado and stop.

Yeah as for me it's just your typical day just sweeping up the farmhouse and I bought these little baskets to put all of my nick-knacks in and just junk and stuff that's scattered everywhere so I'm definitely doing a little organizing too on-the-side. I bought Ziplock freezer / storage baggies to put my chargers in and video game wires and such that I've just accumulated over time so I'm definitely going-overboard when it comes to the organization hehe. (Maybe not?) I'm just in this super cleanly mode, as-of-late.

Shoot. I forgot to take pictures of the chickens on the chicken farm while there was light out today. I'll definitely do it tomorrow so you can see. Yeah I don't spend too much time with the chickens on my own we hire people to do all that stuff for us, - the family, so but I go down there and check them out sometimes. At first, I couldn't really sleep since the roosters crow in the morning so they'd wake me up at around 5 o'clock in the wee morning but it's so LOUD here all the time w/ the chickens and I don't even notice them anymore lol. I only notice when I'm taking videos and all I hear are the chickens in the background clucking and stuff! :haha:

No I definitely think they're resourceful animals. One of my dreams is to turn this farmland into a self-sufficicent resource and beginning with starting chickens was definitely the way to go. You can start off small and they reproduce so fast and lay so many eggs. We actually have incubators so we incubate our own eggs, and after awhile (a couple of weeks?) they hatch and turn into baby chicks. We separate the hens (so they can lay) from the males, and the guys on the farm use the male ones for cockfighting so they gamble sometimes (mostly for fun/nothing too serious) and can make some money for themselfs. Obviously we eat the chickens too sometimes if we're feeling like it. The wild chickens do have a different taste from the store-bought, and I've noticed the fresh eggs do have a slightly rich or like gamier taste to them for-sure.

A lot of old American guys (mostly Southerners?) come here just cause they like cockfighting so much. They're pretty good at it too.

Ok, anyways,--so the plan is for me to just finish the events in Azado tonight cause I'm free and I'll just stop right there so as not to go too far ahead of ya. I'll see you around, Holmes.
--
Oh, also I noticed something.

Notes: I really like the storyline events in Azado a lot. Like the general creep factor they have going on in the 'hood. I kinda relate to this in a way. Like a lot of the townsfolk say they feel like they're being watched, and it's hard to do anything anymore. I so, so, so felt that way back in America before I left. I lived in Daly City a little sub-urb just outside of San Francisco and I noticed after I turned 18 and became an adult, started going to college and getting a job I started to feel creeped out more often than not and that I was being watched more close by the neighbors and stuff!!? Probably because they knew I wasn't a child anymore and they could get me. I just felt like there were narcs and snitches in the neighborhood always spying on me, I couldn't take it anymore. I wonder if the writers of LUNAR kinda took real life American culture into account when creating scenarios for each town and such to differentiate them from one another? (Plus they're from California.) I mean I think we all know about nasty neighbors, snitches-in the neighborhood and nosey behavior... Anyway. I love Azado cause it makes me feel like I'm not crazy for feeling that way once upon a time.

Have a good one Boo!!! :D

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2023, 10:21:06 am »
Hey, Boo!!

Quick update: So I just beat the boss at Azado and I stopped for right now. I think it's pretty cool that Leo joins you for this portion of the game like I don't hate him as much anymore lol. Like there IS logic and reason in him, and he's not just blind to the truth all the time. So I like that- that he's willing to change. I think it's pretty badass he fights with you and he hits even harder than Hiro. I'm at lv 32 right now btw. I was gonna say maybe take a few Star Lights with you cause you might need them I hate that they're 2,000 Silver a pop though. :p The boss was more of a pushover than I remembered all the random encounters to get to him were more annoying.

I think it's an inside-joke that whenever the girls aren't in the party you have to fight Nipple Yankers. It happened in SSSC too when it was just the guys in the Black Dragon Fortress.

Ok,-so I'm stopping for right now but for sure I'm gonna talk to all the townspeople again tomorrow morning. Ciao!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:59:56 pm by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2023, 02:31:58 am »
One of my dreams is to turn this farmland into a self-sufficicent resource and beginning with starting chickens was definitely the way to go.

I have similar dreams. I'd even like to get off the public water/electrical grid one day, but I think that's a long shot. The US makes it incredibly difficult to do so, especially with water laws. As for the chickens, we started with 10 and now only have 6. We've lost 4 over the past few years to animals and one to cancer, and we're looking to buy some more in the spring -- assuming they're affordable and available!

Obviously we eat the chickens too sometimes if we're feeling like it. The wild chickens do have a different taste from the store-bought, and I've noticed the fresh eggs do have a slightly rich or like gamier taste to them for-sure.

Ours are multi-purpose chickens (eggs and meat) but we've decided not to eat ours -- at least not any time soon. My kids love them too much. But we have bought from local farmers already processed (but fresh) chickens and they definitely have a slightly more robust flavor. The eggs are also much brighter than store bought / industrial laying chicken eggs.

Now onto the game!

Azado

Yeah, this is sort of a frustrating town. Not only the religious hypocrisy of the Chosen, but the extreme religious indoctrination and subjugation is just outright toxic. I'm always sort of sensitive to these kind of stories and situations, as my upbringing was very sheltered and not far off from this. But we've already talked about that, haha...

I laugh that the one blonde lad (Porom, former High Priest Balse's son) stands in front of her door to guard against thieves (and apparently jRPG protagonists). I've thought about one day doing a hardcore playthrough of an RPG and not opening treasures that clearly belong to others, haha... A nice little RP addition. The only game I've thus far been able to do that with has been Skyrim, but that game is made for such RP aspects.

A few observations:
  • I also noticed that one guy refers to the Dragonmaster as the DragonMaster -- have I been articulating this wrong all this time?!?!
  • This game is quintessential 1990's in that every calls each other "retard." Back then it was common but now it's definitely a faux-pax here, and people would be offended. Like we've said, Working Designs always did an excellent job of translating the zeitgeist and language of the time. Hard to believe this game came out a quarter of a century ago, but that's definitely one of the things helping the game show its age.
  • The first time I played this game I remember I was about to board the ship when I realized it looked identical to the Dragonship Destiny, so I saw that coming and was screaming internally - nooooo!
  • After the confrontation aboard the ship, I noticed the pillars around time have changed -- the flames now have evil faces in them! This is when the fire first starts and during the cutscene before the town is engulfed by the evil flames.

Moving on with the story...

• I'm glad we're starting to dig into the dragon mythology a little here, starting with the red dragon fire and Mauri.
  • When Leo joined the party I looked at his inventory... And he's equipped with Dyne's Sword!
  • Nice lore consistency that Ronfar could use healing magic on Balse, at least enough to stabilize him.
  • Some of the battle dialogue in this game is hilarious -- Leo says, "Taste my refreshment!" with one of his attacks. It's so stupid and I love it. I LOVE THIS GAME!.

Dragonship Destiny
Man, the Althena's Chosen are asshats. Even thought Leo is starting to question his orders, they mostly seem pretty steadfast and refuse to budge. One even talks of slitting Lucia's throat!

Anyway, after talking to Lucia on the deck, I'm surprised Ruby was so light on Hiro. Normally she'd be grilling him after having seen Lucia fleeing in tears!

That all being out of the way... we now have THE END OF DISC 1!!! We did it!

Pentagulia
I've arrived in Pentagulia, met with (Dragonmaster!) Ghaleon, and said goodbye to all my friends... Ronfar is off to salvage his relationship with Mauri, Lemina is off to "save" her mother from Borgan, and Jean is off to find Lunn... I've saved my game.

This is where I stop for the evening. Woohoo!

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2023, 10:10:51 am »
Whoo!! We made it to the end of disc 1. Tbh, disc 2 is where the real fun begins!! :D

So I don't have much commentary tonight. It's pretty cold here weirdly. Either that, or the house is just really really clean. I dunno I'm just happy to get out of the US. lol To put it bluntly. :p To be honest, every day I think about how blessed I am to be here. (Philippines) I went through some personal stuff right-before I left the US, and I'm just happy a) that I left, and b) that I'm here in my home-country. Tbh Boo, I have this quasi-fantasy of seeing life as an RPG. hahaha Like for example, growing up as a commoner-or middle income, I think that's so RPG and default, in-general, standard, the norm etc. what have you. You have access to all you need and no complaints. Plus growing up in an Asian household, I think that's pretty JRPG not-to-burst-anyone's-bubble. A lot of gamers might wonder why I re-play so many of my favorite RPGs and I just think I get so much more out of it, as an Asian kid, that no one else can even relate to. I relate to a lot of the things I see like chopsticks or tea cups & kettles in the various houses, furniture being very low to the floor like we talked about earlier like these little nuances you wouldn't understand if you weren't Japanese/or some other Asian growing up in the US.

Flags, meeting important people in your life, and making big decisions sometimes that'll impact the rest of your life (or game) forever. I think I'm a pretty strategic guy (I love Survivor, the T.V. show) and I just feel good about the decision I made to leave America and come back home.

Sometimes I have this fantasy-feeling that the big "Empire" the games we play always have is none-other-than America. The Solaris city floating in the heavens in the sky that everyone in the world wants to go to one day is none other than America. The soldiers, guards, grunt work horses scattered all around the world in every town who do they work for? America. Anyway just some late-night musings from a tired John.

I think the freedom America always talks about is overrated. Having lived there my whole life. It's not all it's cracked up to be. The food's nasty. I mean, come on McDonald's? I'm sure it was cultural in its heydey but it's a joke now.

Anyway. Yeah I love the chickens on the farm and the animals. I'm in love with my two dogs right now, Karla and Jepp, and I just "take care" of them everyday. Not a HUGE responsibility but I like it. I live by myself and it's fun getting to know the people / "housestaff" that work for me. I'm just glad to be around IRL people (not 'SO,' or family) everyday as a sense of normalcy in our now tech-savvy world. I love that we're posting on a messageboard right now, doing it oldschool style, I've always loved MBs.

The game is pretty fun. I think you're enjoying it more than I am, Boo!! :p I have fun taking it reeeally slow and reading each line carefully, and just analyzing. I like to take everything I learn from RPGs and apply it to my life in someway.

In case anyone was interested most of the stuff I think about when playing are like a higher philosophy type stuff. If anything, the one thing I think most people will have a problem about EBC is the religiousness of it. I thought Americans were kinda cultish about religion but Filipinos definitely has America beat in terms of spiritual strength, even above the numbers. I've never known this about my own country but your average Filipino probably has 10x more spiritual power than any active Christian from the US. There's spirit in the land here and I never felt that presence in the US amidst the barren buildings and cement streets. America felt very empty to me in terms of spirituality. I never felt anything there. Just emptiness. Nowhere.

These're most of my musings when I'm playing the game. I think Working Designs tries to "Americanize" the game as much as they can which I like a LOT. I LIKE, LOVE America. Maybe I'm a bit cynical? I think WD put a lot of effort into this game so it's only fair I come up with a lot of thoughts to post about it. Sometimes when people beat one RPG, and move onto the next without coming up with any content of their own to share it's like do you have a brain of your own in there?

Sorry this's one of my lazy posts as I'm feeling super cold tonight. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Sometimes I think each RPG game is just commentary of society in that year in the US. :shrug: Like how you mentioned we would all say retarded in High School. When I found out we can't say it anymore I was like, "That's so retarded." I have so many thoughts about how we used to play this game in HS... woo woo woo. America's very into "High School culture" I've come to find out from movies in the 90s, to T.V. shows, to pop love songs. I think that's something ALL of us can relate to since we all went there... hopefully graduated? I love social-ness and reading a bunch of lines from games taught me like well how to speak English. It really helped me a lot socially just READING A WHOLE BUNCH CRAP CRAMMING. I love to do reading. RPGs also gave me a love for writing. I. just. like. text. Then computers... then Internet.

I think there's so much you can take from RPGs with a looot of text. A lot of stuff to think about. I hope you're enjoying the game Boo! We're 1/3 in. :D I can't wait to do the same thing with Chrono Trigger (or whatever game) with you next! Hope you're having a BALL!

(One of my 'Lazy Posts.')

Summary: "After leaving the US and now being on the outside looking in, I've come to find out America has a huge impact on the world with its media: shows, music, video games."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:35:21 am by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 12:45:37 am »
So... I haven't played tonight. If I get some more time, I will, but I've ended up spending all my evening WRITING out my ideas for the hypothetical LUNAR game. Over the past few days a ton of ideas have been hitting me and it got to the point that I had to write it all out before I forgot them. Not that it would do any good, but it does make for a fun writing exercise. I love writing, so it's a win-win.

This happens sometimes when I play a game -- I write up a hypothetical sequel that I'd like to play, even thought it's ultimately futile.

I know I said I'd wait until we're done before we throw out potential sequel ideas, but my concept would be a standalone sequel that takes place between Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete and would tie much more into the mythos of the four dragons. Nall would be the only returning character, would be playable in the game this time around, and the game's main villains would be the Five Princes of the Dark Star as seen in the prologue of Silver Star Harmony (I'm not sure if they're referenced in any other material). That's all I'll say for now. My document is at about 1500 words, so I've got the first act and most of the characters ironed out.

Speaking of Silver Star Harmony, the game may be ported and released on Switch in March of this year. That's on the LUNAR wiki but I can't seem to find legit confirmation of it anywhere. If true, I'll definitely buy it --

-- I actually really like the Silver Star Harmony version; I know it's a bit polarizing because everyone views SSSC as the ultimate version of the game, but I still really like it. Much of the voice acting is better once you can get past the fact that some of the characters sound drastically different (ie Ghaleon, Nall, Ramus). I wouldn't call it superior to Silver Star Story Complete (which is my ultimate version), but it's interchangeable. Granted, I've only played it once back in 2010 when it was first released, but my experiences with it were nevertheless very positive.

If it does release in March, I'm not gonna lie, I definitely will consider playing it next. :D

Anyway --

... growing up in an Asian household, I think that's pretty JRPG not-to-burst-anyone's-bubble. A lot of gamers might wonder why I re-play so many of my favorite RPGs and I just think I get so much more out of it, as an Asian kid, that no one else can even relate to. I relate to a lot of the things I see like chopsticks or tea cups & kettles in the various houses, furniture being very low to the floor like we talked about earlier like these little nuances you wouldn't understand if you weren't Japanese/or some other Asian growing up in the US.

I can see how this would be the case, though. Most jRPG are made by Asian developers and thus have an Asian cultural lens, compared to say, western RPGs like Gothic, The Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, etc. Definitely very different not just in gameplay, but in tone and culture. I'm obviously your typical anglo male descended from English and Scottish settlers, but I can see how the experience would be a different experience for you rather than me.

I often wish life was like an RPG. I wish my life served a greater purpose, doing good in the face of absolute evil and destruction, and I could come out the other side with friends and allies all together working to save the world and find a purpose. Sometimes I think about how sad RPG protagonists must be once their mission is complete and they return to simple life -- like, that has to be a hard adjustment for, say, Alex Noa to return to life at Burg after having seen the entire world, to see his god(dess), and to have become what is essentially the most powerful warrior in the world as the dragonmaster. Simple village life on a small island would have to be an adjustment after all that!

The only story I've really seen that adequately deals with this idea is The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. They don't dwell on it, but they do talk about the adjustment of Bilbo and Frodo after their adventures. I get the impression that Bilbo, in particular, struggled greatly in his return to a non-adventuring lifestyle.

Speaking of this in the real world, I wonder if this is what it's like for some soldiers to return to civilian life? Especially after, say, World War II.

Sometimes I have this fantasy-feeling that the big "Empire" the games we play always have is none-other-than America. The Solaris city floating in the heavens in the sky that everyone in the world wants to go to one day is none other than America. The soldiers, guards, grunt work horses scattered all around the world in every town who do they work for? America.

Naw man, I feel the same. America is certainly polarizing, and I'm apt to criticize the things I don't like about it. I won't bore you or anyone else reading this with my own political discourse what I do and don't like about America, but I do feel like the so much of the "evil empire" trope is a reflection of Western culture as a whole: the UK and the US, in particular. A few examples off the top of my head: Shinra, the Gestahl Empire, you name it.

I love that we're posting on a messageboard right now, doing it oldschool style, I've always loved MBs.

Me too, dude! Try as I might, I can't get into Discord and the more "chat room" elements of modern social media. Having a live chat option is certainly nice, but I miss the message boards and forum-style web pages of old. You can't easily build relationships with people on Discord like you can on a forum, or at least that's my experience. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, hahaha!

In case anyone was interested most of the stuff I think about when playing are like a higher philosophy type stuff. If anything, the one thing I think most people will have a problem about EBC is the religiousness of it. I thought Americans were kinda cultish about religion but Filipinos definitely has America beat in terms of spiritual strength, even above the numbers. I've never known this about my own country but your average Filipino probably has 10x more spiritual power than any active Christian from the US. There's spirit in the land here and I never felt that presence in the US amidst the barren buildings and cement streets. America felt very empty to me in terms of spirituality. I never felt anything there. Just emptiness. Nowhere.

I get this. I traveled to Japan for three weeks a few years back. I am not a very religious man at this point in my life, but I follow Christian morality by and large. I do still consider myself spiritual. Not to put Japan on a pedestal by any means, but the religious elements I encountered there (namely Buddhism and Shinto) felt much more raw and palpable than anything back home. Not that I put any stock into any of it, but I did stay at some temples and visits lots of shrines, and I almost *felt* something in my cold, analytical, agnostic frame of reference. I don't know about spiritual power between countries and I don't know how any of that would really work, but I do get where you're coming from.

After all, America is a very young country. You go back a few generations, and every single American (outside of the Native American population) is a non-native. We've tamed the land rather than adapt alongside it, which sort of drives (IMO) a lot of the American concept of conquest. We tame and conquer everything we touch, everything is so fast pace, and things just don't seem to always follow the slow, timely, natural course of things.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 07:13:25 am »
Thank God, Boo--I was worried how you would react when I posted my thoughts last night. Sometimes I go on philosophical rambles and I was hoping you'd 'get it' or 'get me.' I think there's more to RPGs/and JRPGs sometimes, and I try to hunt down or find that meaning. Sometimes when I talk to my "friends" about being Asian and playing RPGs and thus having a somewhat little bit different experience than the rest of the gamer population it's usually almost always met with a bit of gaslighting and disregarding my experience through Asian eyes. They usually say something to the effect of, "We're all the same." or, "We all have the same experience no matter what." I- It's really weird.

I love how you're just like I'm whitebread and I love it. lol I always got a good vibe from you, Boo, and to me you just seem like a good guy. You seem really, totally pretty smart too (I've seen your posts/thoughts on Philosophical Ramblings in another thread) I just don't have as good of a vocabulary or maybe writing comprehension as you do. I'm a pretty simple solid writer. Kinda akin to like the Bible or something.

I would love to know more of your thoughts on politics and thoughts on America as a whole if you don't mind sharing them, Boo, I don't mind at all!!! I think it's very normal to have thoughts that're leaps away from the actual storyline + gameplay we're experiencing. Lol I mean only if you're willing to divulge. :p Sometimes I think we're just at a bar and just shooting the shit like guys do. ("I always love pubs in RPGS.")

I love all that stuff you said about Japan/America and how we're a young country. Sometimes I feel a lot of people I've met try to downplay my experience living there,--where they come from generations of "true Americans" / and I'm just a first-generation immigrant who wasn't even born there and only went with my parents when they came looking for work and I can go to school. I felt that way a lot when I went to HS in Nevada a lot of the Caucasian kids never even really pretended to know I existed to them.
-
So I turned to RPGs as a sort of escape from my horrible HS experience going on (I actually played LUNAR 2 when this was all happening). I figured I don't watch much sports, news or any football or other "American"-thing people usually do and Japanese RPGs was more for me. Kinda of like FUBU ("For Us, By Us."). I turned to something I related to more than others my age and something that I felt was one of the few things,- hobbies,- an Asian kid can have in America at the time that he can relate to in some way shape or form.

RPGs mean a lot to me as it was one of the very few things where American writers/translators um gave to me... obviously it was a Japanese game in its heart and core. I found more in the 90s that they were more obviously "hiding" that it was a Japanese game like say the Breath of Fire series they took the time to change items especially food to fit a more American palate, rather than say a Japanese one. I kinda of preferred that way. Compared to now where everyone's jumping down Persona's hole and they want an authentic Japanese game. Japanese names give me a headache. Either that or they make me laugh insanely.

A lot of people say the cultural things in America aren't authentic but I like our translations. I kinda do wanna teach myself Japanese one day too. Just to play Japanese RPGs in Japanese. And to see if I can.

Anyway, Boo--I'll probably talk to everyone in Pentagulia tonight but I won't continue the story. Yeah that's the plan.

Anyway thanks for having an open mind and being understanding, man. Sometimes it's hard for me to find other people, other gamers that get me. Laters! :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 03:05:30 pm »
Thank God, Boo--I was worried how you would react when I posted my thoughts last night.

I'm pretty open-minded and generally accepting of opinions different than my own. Every single human on earth has a unique perspective and equally unique experiences, simple as that. Even if I disagree with an opinion, I try to be respectful and understand where they're coming from. I'd rather reach across the aisle and focus on what we DO have in common than the things we don't. I think the vastness of humanity as a whole, as different as all of our languages and cultures are, has much more in common than we don't.

All that being said, I have a low tolerance for blind hatred, racism, intolerance, that sort of thing. I may or may not not confront the person directly (depends on the circumstances), but I will absolutely shut a person down if they get into bullshit-tery and either ignore them or tell them to fuck off. If they're open to conversation, I may do my part to steer them to positivity, but often times, I don't know how much value is really in rhetoric... especially when you don't know the person (ie online arguments).

I love how you're just like I'm whitebread and I love it. lol I always got a good vibe from you, Boo, and to me you just seem like a good guy.

I mean, I have to be self-aware and recognize what I am and am not. We all should! I have been lucky to have a lot of wonderful life experiences (and some not so good), but I am what I am. I'm a middle class white guy born into a middle class white family, and that formed the backbone of how I was raised and thus the majority of my experiences, haha. I'm absolutely whitebread, though...

...except for my palette. I'm super adventurous with what I eat and usually prefer non-American food over American food. It drives my wife up a wall because I'm always wanting to go to often-questionable restaurants that are of a different ethnicity. I don't mind hole in the walls! The only flavor profile that I've never really been huge on is the entire fermented food profile: kambucha, balut, fermented fish, natto, stuff like that.

Sometimes I think we're just at a bar and just shooting the shit like guys do. ("I always love pubs in RPGS.")
We absolutely are! Haha

I love all that stuff you said about Japan/America and how we're a young country. Sometimes I feel a lot of people I've met try to downplay my experience living there,--where they come from generations of "true Americans" / and I'm just a first-generation immigrant who wasn't even born there and only went with my parents when they came looking for work and I can go to school. I felt that way a lot when I went to HS in Nevada a lot of the Caucasian kids never even really pretended to know I existed to them.

I have one memory of visiting Scotland back when I was in college as part of a cross-cultural experience. I sat on a parkbench by this church and saw a plaque on it -- the parkbench was something like 400 years old and was quite literally older than the United States. It was a really sobering thought regarding the histories of the world, and how small the United States really is on a historical scale.

But yeah, there's definitely some tribalism that happens here. I think it's natural and comes with the territory of being "the melting pot" of the world. We have so many cultures and unique perspectives, and like tends to gravitate to like. But I do believe we're stronger when people can come together in peace and just enjoy those differences rather than hone in on them being dividers.

For example, I grew up being told that anyone who was LGBTQ+ was going to hell and were bad people. I moved halfway across the country between my Sophomore and Junior year of high school, and the first people to reach out and befriend me (when I was sitting alone at lunch) was a closeted (but quite clearly) gay dude and his super emo best gal pal. We became friends and it was a real wake up call that, in reality, he was no different from me.

Regardless, it's still a shame how we tend to gravitate towards tribes that are similar: religious or the color of our skin. It's so stupid.

Anyway, I'm going back heads down into work. I'm on my lunch break and had to step away a little just so I wouldn't have to deal with work for a bit. I manage a big team and it can be exhausting some times. I'm going to explore Pentagulia tonight and move the events along.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2023, 01:12:57 am »
Pentagulia

The music here is pretty stellar. Imposing, slightly sinister, full of religious overtones. It also reminds me of some of the end-game SSSC music.

The people here are of course major elitists, full of hypocrisy and vanity. Also, according to one citizen, some of them are also full of Prozac (as they pass it out like candy in Petagulia, haha). Not surprising, seeing that this is now the world's centralized theocracy. I never really thought about the world having a singular government back in SSSC, I figured it was moreso just each "Zone" ruled themselves (ie Stradius Zone; I can't remember what they all were).

If you go the Dragon Towers, you can see unique scenes in most of them. Interestingly enough, they seem to be fairly new -- or at least Borgan's is, as it was built specifically for him as the wielder of the Black Dragon's aura.

Also, one of the residents mentions Hiro sacrificing Ruby for Althena... are animal sacrifices part of the Althena religion at this point in time?!

One thing that I have a love/hate relationship about EBC is how it handles Althena and her ability to become human. Before I played this game, Althena choosing to become human because of her love for Laike and all of humanity seemed like the ultimate sacrifice. A god giving up godhood to experience mortality and weakness, all in the name of love. Then, is EBC, we find out that she does this pretty regularly - and can even have "children" like Lucia that both are and aren't Althena incarnate, and can exist entirely separately. I dunno, I love it and it opens so many doors for storytelling, but it also cheapens the sacrifice of both Althena and Luna in SSSC. Just my two cents.

As for fake Althena... fuck her. I'm a bit disappointed that Hiro and Ruby were so quick to silence Lucia when she expressed concern. I can expect that out of Leo, but surely that's a bit much to have come from her trusted friends.

In the boss battle against Ghaleon, Ruby didn't bother to help Hiro, haha... But at least it was nice seeing Ghaleon at least admit that the title of Dragonmaster doesn't suit him. I remember little of the plot in this game, but I do remember that Ghaleon is actually a turncoat and is working against Zophar this whole time.

White Dragon Tower

After Hiro and Ruby wake up in the White Dragon Tower, I love the piano song that plays. The theme song of ESB really is peak LUNAR soundtrack. This rendition is particularly nice.

Also... Mystere says, "Never give up, never surrender!" This is a quote from the movie Galaxy Quest. How hilarious. Galaxy Quest came out in 1999 and EBC came out in 1998, so I wonder if it's just random change. Probably, as normally a movie is filmed a year or two before release.

Mystere is such an idiot character and I secretly like it. He's like the super dumb jock in a a movie that finds his heart in the end. Although his theme is pretty lame, haha...

I don't know if you ever noticed but both Leo and Mystere have sprites where they stand around and wiggle their ears. A nice little character addition to the spritework of the game.

Black Dragon Tower

I tackled this tower first in order to rescue Lemina, as her group magic attacks will probably make combat easier. I'll probably rescue Ronfar next, as I need his healing magic to make my life easier.

Alas, I gotta stop here. It's bed time and I have to be up in less than 6 hours for work.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2023, 02:58:49 am »
Boo, I'm really glad when I meet ppl like you either offline or on. It makes me re-think that hey maybe everything's alright in this world and there are still good ppl left. You're a really grounded, down-to-earth dude it's no surprise you've got your life together already and you're just a family man now. Like I wouldn't expect anything else.

I'm actually super skittish to tell ppl my true opinions on video games / RPGs and such bec I see it thru such "Asian eyes" that maybe it kind of puts ppl off at first when I start listing out the things that I relate to it so much. I don't really buy the "We're all the same." and "We all have the same experiences." thing. Like what you said different people, are different people. To me it just seems like they're just disregarding my own personal experience w/ the game being that I am Asian playing a Japanese RPG. It's kinda almost like they don't want to accept that hey they are playing a Japanese game (even though it's trans. into English) and that they enjoy that. A lot- Some of the gamers I've encountered who say they like to play JRPGs seem to like just the superficial on-the-surface stuff: the video games, the anime, some of the food. But when I interact w/ them more and more and see what they have to say it seems to me that they don't even like the people that much. (Asians)

I don't have much to do these days so I spend most of my time analyzing text/lines in RPGs, and sorta thinking about my own life a little bit more and why I like to do this. (play RPGs) Some ppl might think I'm digging for something that's not there, or trying to find more meaning to a [cough] video game but I just like words, and esp. the English translation. I just find it fascinating that that's a job. lol Translating RPG's from Japanese-to-English. Sometimes I wanna translate an English game into Tagalog, and then translate it back--and sometimes I get a different line. :shrug:

Oh, I get you about the food thing. I'm kind of the opposite. I just like home food. Either my Mom's cooking / or stuff I can easily make by myself using the microwave or what-not. My friends when I was 19 asked me "Have you ever tried pho?" and I was like no, I just like home food. And they were shocked and took my out to a Vietnamese restaurant immediately. They think I'm very un-Asian for someone who was born in Asia. I actually don't really like the cilantro used in that kinda way like a soup. I kinda prefer it in the Mexican-style where it's in salsa it seems more fitting like that. They started taking me out to more cultural or ethnic places like Indian / Pakistani / Etrinean type places too. I'm actually not a very big foodie though I did keep the Food Network on in the background on the T.V. in my room growing up. I actually find eating kinda annoying. The dishes. The flossing. Having rancid breath while going out-and-about. So, yeah. I mean, I'm glad they wanted me to be more Asian but that was that.

I'm perfectly happy having a saltine cracker with no salt. And calling it my lunch.

I've never really been that interested in American culture: politics, sports, news. That tri-fecta / or, trinity I have absolutely NO, ZERO interest in,-at. all. I never see anyone like me on T.V. ever anyways growing up so it was hard to relate to the country and its people. I never had any real heroes or ppl to look up to growing up cause I never saw my own face anywhere. Sports is probably the easiest thing to fall into and it was all the same you just never see too many Asians playing sports or a Filipino. I just feel like everyone else has something to relate to when they turn on the boob tube and I never see representation of my own people. So I try not to consume too much American media anymore. Now they're starting to get more minority representation but I figure it's a little too little, to late for me. lol Where was all that when I was growing up and really needed it the most? 36-year-old me just doesnae care anymore.

So yeah all the promises America had for the immigrant "The American Dream," "land of milk and honey," "if you can make it in Detroit you can make it anywhere." It's not really all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I feel people just don't have connections anywhere else outside of the country and they're pretty much stuck there grown adults with no passport. It's just out of the question moving or traveling to other parts of the world. I just found a lot of people I've interacted w/ very sheltered and they just kinda see what's around the corner at the house, and that's it for their daily adventure? Just staying at the house. Not really looking at applications for new friendships.

At least you were approached in High School. I was never, lol. Was the emo girl your future wife? You mentioned you were High School Sweethearts? I went to a private Catholic school Freshman year of HS and it was like 97.8% Caucasian kids. Soph-Sen year I moved back to San Francisco and went to a HS with a majority of minority kids and it was just normal. :shrug: I dunno why Freshman year w/ all the Caucasians was such a bad experience. Fwiw, for a private Catholic school we never went to church, and no one (even the adults) even ever asked me about my religion. I figured that's why we were there. Such a terrible school. I want my tuition money back. I did get straight-A's that schoolyear though, but the social experience was an F-. Or Incomplete.

I feel blessed everyday that I'm not in America anymore and I can not think about that stuff if I wanted to.

BUT ANYWAYS BOO- So I talked to everyone in Pentagulia and I'm about to go meet with Althena. I was gonna say I LOVE EBC because all of Althena's priests are so hilarious to me. They're like old, brown-haired bearded, and frothing at the mouth for Althena the Goddess that grants them their every wish and desire. They long to be gods themselfs and for to be granted immortality. I think Working Designs was really driving the nail home with how annoying, stupid and crazy the religion had turned into in EBC that I just adore what they did with these characters and it makes me laugh so much. I dunno if they're trying to make social commentary about religious ppl in general in America? Being so one-dimensionally about God IS kinda of hilarious. Having no other part to you as a person.

So yeah- I kinda of wanted to wait for you to update on where you were and I'll just try to catch up I prefer it that way. I kinda wanted to take a break today but I can't NOT play LUNAR so I might just see what happens next after you meet w/ Althena and to see what's up? I think it's just the Mystere thing anyways. And how fruity Leo really is and all that stuff.

Thanks for just listening and not immediately judging.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2023, 11:07:43 am »
As for the game... hehe. I went and talked to Althena... woo woo woo all that drama happens. Another jail scene that's two for EBC. Hurrah! And Mystere pops up. I actually like Mystere I think it's Leo's way of helping Hiro and the group out of the predicament without feeling like he's going against his duty and Althena. :shrug: I've seen weirder things in JRPGs especially now. I tried to use all his spells/skills cause he has new voiceovers for them. "You need a spanking!" was definitely one of my favorites. I'm trying to categorize Leo's character-personality into a box, now that Mystere has arrived on scene... I guess he's one of those soldier/guard-types that's conflicted over following (fake) orders and wants to do the (obvious) right thing, ...without breaking his oath. Works for me!! This's the part in the game where you see Leo make a turnaround so I like that a lot. His overly fanatical, pompous first act act was really um bad for me. I just didn't like it. But now the whole Ronfar/Mauri/Leo relationship has come to the surface and if I remember correctly they make a cute threesome.

I always save Ronfar first I just make a b-line down the red hallway. I dunno how you managed to save Lemina first without having a lot of healing items. I always forget about this part in Pentagulia so for the next time I play I'm gonna definitely buy Healing Herbs and Nuts when it's just Hiro and Mystere on their own. The enemies hit hard and neither has a healing spell so. It's good to have just in case.

I stopped here for now I want to go on but I like when we're somewhat at the same part. Good day to you, Boo! :D Cheers!

Edit: I have more to say lol.

So I went ahead and rescued all three of Hiro's friends and I stopped right in front of the Althena's Statue in the center hallway.

I think it's interesting the juxtaposition of the Four Heroes in this game compared to the last game. In this game, when I was thinking about everything when we first started playing, they're just evil. In SSSC they were kinda exalted as REAL heroes who saved the world and Mel, Lemia, Ghaleon and Dyne all had interpersonal relationships with each other and backstory that involved all four members.

In EBC, they don't really show the Four Heroes: Borgan, Mauri, Lunn and Leo interacting all that much and they don't really seem that close to me as the Four Heroes in the first game. They're just bad people being controlled by Fake Althena and want to revive Zophar. I guess they're searching for ultimate power... or whatever?

Anyway, it seems out of the bunch Leo is the only one that 'sees' what's really going on. Go fig.? He of all, people. It's a little weird Fake Althena doesn't really have a grasp on Leo as much as the other three. He seems free of her binding power. .......... So yeah that's all I came up with? Have fun Boo!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:39:00 am by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2023, 11:41:09 am »
So I didn't get to play at all yesterday. I got home from work pretty late and the power at the house was off. We're having bad ice storms where we're at, so we were without power until this morning. Temperatures are below freezing, so it made for a very chilly night!

It makes me re-think that hey maybe everything's alright in this world and there are still good ppl left. You're a really grounded, down-to-earth dude it's no surprise you've got your life together already and you're just a family man now.

I think there's a lot more of us than we realize, it's just hard finding each other. That's why I love little corners of the internet like this one. I have found that the best online communities are small and somewhat isolated. I've got a few little communities I participate in, but namely it's here at the Compendium and there a Discord for an author/Youtuber I watch who calls himself Softypapa. I got really into him in the early days of Youtube when he would hike in the mountain of Japan and explore old, abandoned tea farms. He eventually moved back to the United States and has spent a lot of time exploring the deserts of California and he talks a lot about living a good life (and he even wrote a book about it). These are my main two online communities that enrich my life rather than take away from it. I feel energy spent in these communities is energy well spent.

As for having my life together... Only by necessity and luck. I got lucky in that I married a girl I met in college (I saw you ask about that later in the post). We actually dated my sophomore year / her freshman year of college but it didn't really work out. We reconnected a few years later and both had grown a lot, so we gave it another shot and we were much more successful that time around.

I think we've both pushed each other a lot in good ways, so I'm grateful for that aspect of the relationship. If not for her, I probably wouldn't be here. I would have zero aspirations and since I struggle with chronic depression (and I'm in a much better place now), she helps keep me present and in the moment before I descend too far down. I was seriously in a dark place about ten years ago, and I probably wouldn't have made it had I not had her and my kids as lampposts to keep me focused on the big picture. Even though I hate being a cog in the corporate world (I want more meaning in life and wish I was doing something that made more of a difference in the world), I am very grateful for the opportunities I've had and the support structure I've been able to build for myself.

I've never really been that interested in American culture: politics, sports, news. That tri-fecta / or, trinity I have absolutely NO, ZERO interest in,-at. all. I never see anyone like me on T.V. ever anyways growing up so it was hard to relate to the country and its people. I never had any real heroes or ppl to look up to growing up cause I never saw my own face anywhere.

I will say -- Asian representation is a huge problem in the United States. There's very little Asian presence in politics, television, movies, sports, etc. It's just as you said, unfortunately. When you're not represented, I can see how it can be culturally demoralizing. I'm not even Asian and I can see it. There's a lot of focus on African American and now LGBTQ+, but there's been next to so attention or effort to stand up more Asian Americans as pillars of our communities and culture. It makes zero sense to me.

So yeah all the promises America had for the immigrant "The American Dream," "land of milk and honey," "if you can make it in Detroit you can make it anywhere." It's not really all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I feel people just don't have connections anywhere else outside of the country and they're pretty much stuck there grown adults with no passport. It's just out of the question moving or traveling to other parts of the world. I just found a lot of people I've interacted w/ very sheltered and they just kinda see what's around the corner at the house, and that's it for their daily adventure? Just staying at the house. Not really looking at applications for new friendships.

America has two huge problems regarding travel, not to mention the American Dream.

First, we're a geographically MASSIVE country. It's very hard for an American to travel to another country from a logistics perspective, so we don't get that exposure to other cultures that we so desperately need. Because we're so geographically large, the logistics just aren't there to accommodate travel, and we sure as heck don't have a good transportation system (ie high speed trains) that can even easily facilitate inner-national travel, let alone international travel. The only countries we border are Mexico and Canada (and the Caribbean islands are nearby), but that's it. It's not like Europe or even some parts of Asia where you can just catch a cheap flight or train ride and head to another country for a day or two. As a result, many Americans just aren't aware of the true larger landscape of the world. If you've never left your small town, state, or country, your worldview is likely going to be somewhat limited on that larger world-community scale. The internet is all many Americans have, and quite frankly, it's not enough. Real experience and real exposure is so necessary to build respect and a healthy worldview, but it's really difficult for Americans to get that.

Second, there's the financial aspect. Everything is so damned expensive nowadays. It goes hand-in-hand with the logistics problem, but the costs of travel are also pretty wild. Moving, visiting another state (let alone another country) are insane. The costs of living keep raising and inflation is pushing up the prices of, well, everything. Right now, so many Americans can hardly put a roof over their head, let alone have disposable income that can permit travel and leisure.

For example: I make six figures in USD and we live almost entirely paycheck to paycheck. We drive two old cars (one is 12 years old, the other is 20 years old), we have a hefty mortgage and some land (for farming), and we have next to nothing leftover for vacations or large purchases (such as much-needed house repairs). And we have it good! An example of these needed repairs or house enhancements: we need to run electricity to the barn we built. The barn itself was $30k, and just to run and install electricity is another $5k+. We don't have that kind of money lying around, so we save and scrounge and I'm try to save up so we can finally put in the electricity. Once again, that's such a first world problem and I have it better than most. I am able to make ends meet, but then again, with what I'm bringing home, I should be having TONS of leftover money that, quite frankly, we don't.

I do believe that twenty years ago things were different. I think there was a time that the American Dream was much more tangible, especially in the first few decades after WWII. Sure there were other cultural problems (racism and there were a lot of cultural gaps that were extremely problematic), but financial stability was at least more tangible. All one needed was a high school diploma and could have a house, two cars, and you could even survive on one income. None of that is realistic now.

I legit blame a lot of it on de-regulation and "Reaganomics." Since the 1980s, the quality of life for the middle and lower class has gone down considerable, while money is being pushed to and hoarded at the top. We should not have a society where people cannot afford healthcare while billionaires have pissing contest hobbies about being the first to space. Fuck this version of the system that is failing so many people. And I don't think this is just an American problem, but we're leading the pack.

I obviously have really strong opinions. Food, healthcare, personal freedoms... all of these should be attainable to all. Period. I don't really subscribe to Republican or Democrat political ideologies (because both parties are systemic in holding down the populace), but I do lean liberal and with more humanist approaches to societal problems.

To tie all this back together, I feel it's even harder for minorities to attain the same chances that a man of anglo descent would receive. Not to mention that women aren't even afforded the same chance as a man (at least some of the time). It's just such an unfair, rigged system, and it happens all over the world. There's generally always a power dynamic with majority and minority (look at the Uighur Muslim crisis over in China right now).

Your experiences growing up in the US were very unfortunate. There are so many minorities that have had the same type of experience. Sure, their experiences were unique and different, but the fundamental struggles are the same. It's a damn shame, and it's not just limited to minorities in the US.

What's it like for minorities in the Philippines? Are they afforded the same experiences that native Filipino are? Is there racism against those with darker complexions or of African descent? Just curious.

My thought is -- I can't change the systematic issues. But I damn well can be an agent of change to EVERY SINGLE PERSON I MEET. We gotta lift each other up, because even if we're different, the core fundamentals are the same. We all feel pain, and love, and have hopes and desires.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:48:11 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »