Author Topic: Let's Play 2023 - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete  (Read 19066 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 09:07:30 am »
#3 session

So this's a combination of what I managed to get done late last night and today. I was super busy all day running around but I managed to get some playtime in. :)

So my thoughts after the Althena's Statue in the Blue Spire Garden: I always forget that Hiro is pretty much just a young, horny teenager(?) that's lusting after Lucia in the worst way like a total pervert skeeve throughout the whole game. Compared to Alex who was much more standoffish in a way.

I love Zophar's voice. I know it's autotuned or whatever in some way but I really like him/it a lot. I might like him more than the baddie in the first game - voiceover-wise. I think he sounds so maniacally evil.

I was like level 14 when fighting the Guardian so s/he/it didn't give me a problem at all.

This's the beginning of Hiro and co. always giving Leo the slip!

So Lucia getting cursed by Zophar is the main plotpoint or reason why Hiro is instructed to leave the desert and look for a specific priest named Ronfar in Larpa? (I'm paying a lot more attention this time rather than just enjoying the game and letting it overtake me.)

Ruby may seem like a smart-ass but her affection for Hiro really is her weakpoint. I think it's funny she thinks of herself as his girlfriend or something!?

I'm stopped at the boat dock near Larpa. I really couldn't play that much today and get a really good, deep session in but I kept in mind we're going slow due to our life being so hectic haha. I'll see you soon, homie!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 12:37:45 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 08:07:37 pm »
First off, I just noticed that the title on this thread had "Eterenal" -- whoops! Fixed! Now on with the show!

Blue Spire (cont'd)
I leveled up a bit, got to 13 before the Guardian. I generally do minimal grinding, but try to fight every enemy in a dungeon. I feel like this is a game you have to grind a bit to stay ahead of the difficulty curve, so it's very possible I'll use an EXP cheat before long. :D

Also, I love little scenery like this:

There were quite a few that I loved in the first LUNAR; the grave of Dragonmaster Dyne comes to mind. So serene.

Random Thoughts:
Poor grandpa Gwyn - alas, he's only a temporary character! I like his character and non-traditional jRPG trope archetypes, and old man explorers are definitely unique. Grandia III was unique in that the lead protagonist's mom joined the party, about half of the Chrono Cross roster was strange characters, etc.

... I always forget that Hiro is pretty much just a young, horny teenager(?) that's lusting after Lucia in the worst way like a total pervert skeeve throughout the whole game. Compared to Alex who was much more standoffish in a way.

Alex was just so freaking good-natured. He was raised with Luna, and their relationship, despite eventually being one of romantic love, was certainty steeped in having growing up together in an almost sibling-like fashion. Alex also grew up with a mom and dad (a rarity in jRPGs) and a pretty solid community in Burg, so I'd wager he had a very stable childhood.

Hiro, on the other hand... I can't recall much backstory for him, but he was raised by who may or may not be his grandfather / blood relative (but no parents), in the desert, and in constant search of history (and treasure) in pursuit of archaeology -- what I would expect would be a pretty adrenaline-fueled upbringing. Without over-analyzing, he is probably a bit less tempered emotionally and his approach to sexuality and romanticism (and Lucia) would be very different from how Alex saw Luna.

tldr; Definitely like you called it with Hiro being "a young, horny teenager." Hahaha!

I love Zophar's voice. I know it's autotuned or whatever in some way but I really like him/it a lot. I might like him more than the baddie in the first game - voiceover-wise. I think he sounds so maniacally evil.

Agreed. I think he has some of the best VA in the game so far. Reminds me a little of the villain of the film Legend. But I find Lucia's VA far less impressive, especially considering the importance of her role.

I also did a little bit of cheat exploring with the game... For example, Gwyn has abysmal stat growth even at level 99. His max HP ends up being like 70. And even if you are level 99 in the battle against the four Guardians, they still automatically beat you after several rounds. You can wail on them all you want and they either have insanely high or infinite HP.

Outside the Blue Spire
Leo somersaulted off the Dragonship Destiny. He's such a dolt and I apparently stan him. :D

Ruby may seem like a smart-ass but her affection for Hiro really is her weakpoint. I think it's funny she thinks of herself as his girlfriend or something!?

You know, she may (eventually) be able to assume a human form like Nall does. I wonder what that would mean for Ruby...? And if there's a possibility for half-dragon humans out there! Since Nall can transform at will between his young form, full dragon form, and human form, the nature of the dragons tends to transcend just the body. Food for thought and imaginary sequel fodder.

Larpa
I've arrived in Larpa and am gonna stop here. I may play later tonight (my time) if I'm able.

Before I go, though -- I'm trying to piece together the world map and compare between SSSC and EBC. This is obviously in a desert region in the SE corner of the known LUNAR world. I'm trying to remember what was down here in the original SSSC. All I can find online of SSSC world maps is the cloth map, which looks like a pretty good fit, but doesn't tell me much. I can see the cloth map has a village down in that area, but it isn't named. Is it Lann, maybe?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 01:36:28 am »
First off, I just noticed that the title on this thread had "Eterenal" -- whoops! Fixed! Now on with the show!
I actually did notice the typo in the title of the thread a few times but didn't say anything cause I thought that might make me look extremely OCD & anal-retentive. :p If I was truly being nitpicky I'd say it should read "LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete" being that 'lunar' should be capitalized because it's referring to the video game. But, no worries! :p

but try to fight every enemy in a dungeon.
I try to do that too. Not because I'm trying to be extreme but I feel it keeps me up to level with the game's difficulty at that point. Plus the battles in this game are just fun!

Re: image in the Blue Spire.
Yeah that's my favorite scene in the Blue Spire too! Sometimes I pause and just take a look around and enjoy myself. To try not to take life too seriously!

Poor grandpa Gwyn - alas, he's only a temporary character! I like his character and non-traditional jRPG trope archetypes, and old man explorers are definitely unique. Grandia III was unique in that the lead protagonist's mom joined the party, about half of the Chrono Cross roster was strange characters, etc.
Yeah one of my criteria for an RPG I'd want to invest time in is, is good characters. Some games I flat-out hate on for having bad character designs like Final Fantasy 6's Cyan, and The Legend of Dragoon's Haschel. I guess ponytailed samurai dudes aren't my thing! :p Always hated those two characters as a kid. -- Yup! I loved Grandia III when the mom joined and I do enjoy how you put that that CC's characters were strange. I like unique characters a lot too! Especially if they come with unique, unconventional weapons. This makes me think of Nina the old grandmother that joins in battle in SaGa Frontier II.

But I find Lucia's VA far less impressive, especially considering the importance of her role.
Yeah Lucia sounds even mouse-ier than Luna. Tbh, Lucia's voice kinda evolves as the game goes on. She's goes through such a transformation that you can tell in her speaking lines that she's going through some growth. Lucia is like my 2nd-favorite character cause I find her kinda dumb sometimes, lol - and I think the whole "Huh? What is a rock? What is water running through a stream?" thing so hilarious!! Her actual voice though I think they were going with icy, cold ice princess type of flatness or see-thoroughness.

I also did a little bit of cheat exploring with the game... For example, Gwyn has abysmal stat growth even at level 99. His max HP ends up being like 70. And even if you are level 99 in the battle against the four Guardians, they still automatically beat you after several rounds. You can wail on them all you want and they either have insanely high or infinite HP.
Lol, that's good to know. I usually just stop leveling at around 13 in the Blue Spire cause Gwyn doesn't get anymore skills and he leaves soon so that's like the game telling you that you can move on... Usually when I fight the four Guardians I just hurry up and try to get myself killed quickly but this time Gwyn was left standing and the screen blipped off signaling that the battle was over, -- usually I get killed pretty right away.

Leo somersaulted off the Dragonship Destiny. He's such a dolt and I apparently stan him. :D
Lol the quintessential loser dismount! :p

You know, she may (eventually) be able to assume a human form like Nall does. I wonder what that would mean for Ruby...? And if there's a possibility for half-dragon humans out there! Since Nall can transform at will between his young form, full dragon form, and human form, the nature of the dragons tends to transcend just the body. Food for thought and imaginary sequel fodder.
I could spoil you right now about whether-or-not Ruby ever gets a human form but I don't see a spoiler tag I dunno if you'd wanna know or not.

Re: the map.
I've never really taken a look at the two maps side-by-side before, but I think since it's 1,000 years after the events of the first game a lot of geography has been changed around. I might have to take a look at my SSSC cloth map later on to give you a proper answer.

I'll try to cont. on into Larpa. I'll take my time. Finally! A town! It's really just gonna be a lot of talking to NPCs and story moments so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Edit:

Note: do not bother climbing back up the Blue Spire to talk to Leo and the Guard, they're not there.
Note(2): when Lucia's sick on the couch, go downstairs into the basement to talk to Gwyn for an extra line, and Ruby will have an extra line if you check the lookout upstairs.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:36:08 am by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - Lunar: Eterenal Blue Complete
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 12:37:20 pm »
I could spoil you right now about whether-or-not Ruby ever gets a human form but I don't see a spoiler tag I dunno if you'd wanna know or not.

I've played the game before (only the PSX Complete version), but it's been probably ten to fifteen years. I remember it was right after I got married, so maybe 2008 or 2009? I actually don't remember Ruby ever being human, but I do remember her turning into full-on adult red dragon.

Note(2): when Lucia's sick on the couch, go downstairs into the basement to talk to Gwyn for an extra line, and Ruby will have an extra line if you check the lookout upstairs.

Haha, I did just this!

I've never really taken a look at the two maps side-by-side before, but I think since it's 1,000 years after the events of the first game a lot of geography has been changed around. I might have to take a look at my SSSC cloth map later on to give you a proper answer.

Yeah, it's 1,000 years. The geography is definitely a little different but you can tell that they are roughly the same landmasses. There's definitely continuity there.

Here's a hires map scan of the cloth map: http://psxdatacenter.com/images/hires/U/L/SLUS-00628/SLUS-00628-M-ALL.html

I'm surprised no one has bothered to make an export of the SSSC world map, but that may be because the worldmap doesn't seem to be a continuous thing. I think in SSSC they were just several smaller maps just stitched together, which may explain why such a thing doesn't seemingly exist (or at least not that I could find with Google-fu).

I just can't remember what was down in the lower right corner of the map in SSSC, but I swear you go there in the story.

I'll try to cont. on into Larpa. I'll take my time. Finally! A town! It's really just gonna be a lot of talking to NPCs and story moments so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Sorry this is such a slow and arduous play-through. Unfortunately, this is just how gaming is for me. It took me 4 months to beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and another 2 months to 100% it. (side note: I'm a bit of a completionist, so I try to 100% every game I play, if I can).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 07:30:46 pm »
Larpa

I explored town. Despite the mayor and some of the townsfolk being immoral criminals, it seems like there are some decent folk who legitimately want to make the town a better place. I especially feel bad for the lady and her daughter in the Mayor's house (who I assume is the mayor's wife?).

After visiting the Sancuary, I also feel bad at seeing the shape of Althena's religion. It's turned into a greedy, bastardized religion that takes advantage of people.

Also, lol at the guy at the bar with a birthmark on his butt in the shape of the Blue Star. :D

I met Ronfar, who is surprisingly old friends with Leo, from his days with Althena's Chosen. Poor Mauri - sounds like he broke her heart after he tried to save her and was only partially successful. I don't remember his background much, so I'm eager to get the full story. I also like his play against character archetype - a handsome, gambling priest-turned-swinder-with-a-heart-of-gold, and the party's main healer.

I am about to take Lucia to the Sanctuary, but I must take a break.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - Lunar: Eterenal Blue Complete
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:11 pm »
I've played the game before (only the PSX Complete version), but it's been probably ten to fifteen years. I remember it was right after I got married, so maybe 2008 or 2009? I actually don't remember Ruby ever being human, but I do remember her turning into full-on adult red dragon.
Well if you don't mind, I was gonna say that they never really show Ruby as a human girl, like how Nall gets a human form, in the game but there's a lot of fanart for it floating around the interwebs!

Here's a hires map scan of the cloth map:
Oh wow, that makes it seem like the SSSC world is so small. ^_^; Well I don't recall either off the top of my head what's in the lower-right corner of the map in SSSC but I'd probably guess something like Myght's Tower or perhaps Pao? Since you go to it late in the game...

Sorry this is such a slow and arduous play-through. Unfortunately, this is just how gaming is for me. It took me 4 months to beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and another 2 months to 100% it. (side note: I'm a bit of a completionist, so I try to 100% every game I play, if I can).
Oh no, don't worry! I don't have too many responsibilities I have to do right now everyday, but sometimes I have a hard time finding time to get gaming time in so I think our pace is really nice. I actually try to exercise everyday (even if it's just walking, or doing something lame like a stationary bike) and I get tired some nights, LOL! It's also really hot here in the Philippines and after 5 years I'm still not used to it as an American and it just ZAPS me of energy some afternoons. I try to play at night when it's cooler.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So I like to explore every single area for stuff you can click on, or seeing if there's extra bits of dialogue if you talk to this person x first... Or even just grinding a little bit. Don't worry mate! Even if it takes us all year I'll hang on with you! :) I'd hate to leave things unfinished.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 03:33:12 am »
#4 session

So sometimes I like to go ahead of the flag just to check how the game stops you from progressing further. I skipped Larpa and went through the western desert and entered Dalton. It's like a port-town and the big story here is the Chosen have broke the Althena's Statue at the entrance to town so all the townsfolk are forced to use the one in the Sanctuary.

Like what you said about how Althena's religion has drastically changed since the first game. There's definitely something amiss with the Chosen. One of the little girls even saw the person who broke the statue and he was wearing a robe like one of the Chosen does! Anyway the town is pretty small so I left.

I went up north towards the woods and Ruby has a line telling you to go back, but you can keep going on so I did... but the monsters are pretty powerful for just only Hiro alone and I simply don't have the funds right now to buy all the new weapons + armor at Dalton, so I just headed back to Larpa for the flag.

Larpa

I talked to everyone. The funniest NPC to me is the little girl in the Mayor's house. For some reason she just makes me laugh!!! :) Now these are my kinda people haha. A town with no police force? Awesome! Anyway I just made the rounds and I stopped in front of Ronfar where I saved and stopping for now.

I might play some more later when/if the heat here dies down. But all in all, that was a pretty good sesh for me just talking to townspeople and NPCs and no fighting. Cool!! :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2022, 02:31:36 am »
I've had some PC troubles today, so it took some time to get going today. For some reason I've lost the ability to use the d-pad on the mapped controller I'm using, but I can't figure it out, so I pressed on.

Larpa
For some reason, I always think that when Althena becomes human, Althena is outright no more. And I was thinking this at the beginning of this playthrough, as well, as Lucia can't feel Althena's presence when she wakes up at the Blue Spire. Even one or two of the NPCs in Larpa talk about feeling like Althena isn't there...

...but in the Sanctuary Ronfar is able to pray to Althena's statue and at least partially lift Zophar's curse. Unless the power is entirely within Ronfar and the statue is channeling it, who is granting that power if not Althena...?

There's so much I can't remember about this game, which is why I'm glad we're playing it!

I lol'd when they all went to sleep and Ronfar just laid down on the floor, following by Hiro and Ruby.

It then took me about 10 minutes to find Lucia by talking to the mother with the baby. It was literally the last house I looked in. Doh!

Re-entering the mayor's place, I realize his wife (the little girl's mother) is mean, haha... She called her child ugly and stupid.

Finally reunited with Lucia, just to lose her.

Desert Shenanigans
I spent some time leveling here. It's nice to finally get some decent silver.

Dalton
Explored the town and talked to the bartender to hear all his dialogue; interesting to hear that Dalton used to be a small village until recent years, and back then it had more of a community feel with people drinking and fighting and coming together.

I also caught the lore around who the current Four Heroes are. I completely forgot that Mauri was affiliated with the red dragon.

Last, it's nice to see that Ruby loves fish as much as Nall did. :D

I saved right before confronting Leo to save Lucia. Now it's bed time here!

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2022, 10:13:16 am »
#5 session

It's about 2-hours until the new year, for me here. I thought I'd get a good session in for tonight for our project.

I ignored the talking to Ronfar flag in Larpa and decided to see how far I can get before the game stops me from progressing. The woodsman in the Illusion Woods won't open the entrance because it's for "skilled, experienced travelers" so I have no choice but to go back and talk to Ronfar.

If you buy the weapon + armor upgrades for Hiro in Dalton, you can easily make it through the woods to reach the woodsman. Unfortunately he won't let you through. At this point I'll probably force myself to talk to Ronfar in the bar-tavern as there's literally nothing else I can do. Note: If you run from a battle you might get lucky with one of Lucia's spoken lines.

I kinda just wanted to mindlessly fight a few battles and relax but I guess I have to read some more text.

I'll probably be playing a fair bit tonight since I'm waiting for the neighbors to stop firing off firecrackers + poppers. My 2 dogs are scared to death, in my room right now. lol

Edit:

#5.5 session

I have to apologize. I was so busy yesterday running around the house doing some end-of-the-year last-minute Spring Cleaning and was partially exhausted plus with the New Year's Eve festivities going-on in the neighborhood it was hard for me to really get some time in alone with both my dogs refusing to leave my room cause of the fireworks/poppers + noise outside all night long. lol

I actually did get some decent sessions in but I wish I had more time to put more effort into my write-ups in on here.

So I cont. and finally talked to Ronfar. Ronfar's always been one of my favorite characters in all of RPG lore, - I think you touched on it in a previous post but he's pretty much a male healer and you don't get too many of those. Usually you rely on the Ninas and Jessicas to be the nurse in battles. Anyway it's nice to see a different change of pace, with just things.

Leo is very persistent. Almost to the point of being annoying. It annoyed me that I forgot what "LM" stood for; I knew it was Leo but I have no idea off the top of my head what his last name is. At least we know it starts with an "M." LUNAR really does have a lot of world and game-lore attached to it and a lot of backstory so it might get confusing when they reference so much stuff from the previous game especially.

I feel so bad dragging Lucia's cursed self all around the island. Lol

Anyway I have a little less cleaning to do today but I'll probably be able to play some more. I know I can reach Dalton (Don't worry it might seem like I'm doing a lot of extra things but I'm right behind you!), but I'll probably try to do a little more after, just cause I have the extra time, and maybe I can reach the Illusion Woods/Carnival and meet Jean.

I hope you're doing well man, and Happy New Year's! :D

#5.501 session

I lol'd when they all went to sleep and Ronfar just laid down on the floor, following by Hiro and Ruby.
Yeah, that was funny. Sometimes I take a close look at the little nuances in Japanese RPGs that make it a Japanese RPG, like sleeping on the floor. I remember in Star Ocean: The Second Story I noticed that a lot of the tables in the hotels you stay in are very clearly for sitting down on the floor as they are very low to the ground and there are floor cushions. I mean, some things the American-side of things just can't or don't bother taking out, do they?

A personal story: Back in Freshman year of High School when LUNAR 2 came out for me, we got our first dog a German-Shepherd, and I named her Mauri. :p
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:03:14 am by VidKid369 »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2023, 08:21:41 am »
#5.502 session

Sorry for my unorganized posts. I try to just type everything out. So I'm on my way to Dalton don't worry. A few notes:

Larpa
- Am I the only one that finds the citizens talking way too fast and the adults sound so awkward, and creepy? For example, the old lady at the entrance to town has the most awkward, creepy line. I don't mind the children though. Sometimes I go into full-on analytical mode and question/analyze the translators that wrote the script to the game's dialogue and their choices. Maybe it's always (just) been Working Designs's style and I never noticed til now.
- If you go to the Mayor's House first you'll find Lucia but one of the maids is blocking the stairs. I think you're supposed to go here first and see this anyways.
- Did you get the bromide from the artist-dad in the farthest-rightmost house? There's only a couple you can get in the main game but they're pretty easy to find if you talk to everyone and explore everything. Unfortunately you can't equip them like you can in SSSC.
- The mom in the mayor's household is pretty funny. I like her honesty.
- The baby thinking Ruby's a cat is pretty funny.
- This's the beginning of the Lucia dumbness that I find so funny about her. "What is a rock? What is the water flowing through a stream? Does it have lifes?" LMAO.
- The women in this game are pretty annoying. Especially the Chosen. They always have annoying lines. I wonder if they were always like this in the first game SSSC? (I can never say anything bad about that game though.)
Larpa's my kinda town. I love how it's just adults who love to drink recreationally at the pub after-work and they mention how annoying the police is. (My personal experience in America speaks a lot to this.) I kinda just want to live in this town, and never leave. (I lived in San Francisco.)

I think Lucia's decision to independently look for Althena is very strange after we helped her so much. I just found that, her leaving, kinda strange.

- So Althena's missing. But some of the Chosen say she's alive and well somewhere in our midst. I thought it was interesting the scene where Ronfar lifted the curse on Lucia first--the Althena's Statue "worked"; but wasn't powerful enough.

I think that was all Ronfar and his past experience as a priest you can tell it came from within him.

Lucia just left. And I'm on my way to Dalton. (Right behind you!) I'll probably stop here for tonight. It's like 8pm right now and I plan to stay up for 4 more hours so I could squeeze another session in if I find myself with enough time. But I feel I've already played for long enough today. Cheers, mate! :D

Note: I need to get an avatar. Sorry.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2023, 04:53:41 pm »
I have to apologize. ...
Sorry for my unorganized posts.

No apologies! You never need to apologize. For either disorganization or for either going behind or jumping ahead! This pace is working well for me. In fact, I go back into the office this week, so I'm going to have a few days when I know I'm just not going to have time to game. The in-office days in the city end up being like 14-hour work days (when you include drive-time).

I also didn't get to play at all since I arrived in Dalton, which was Friday night my time. It's now Sunday afternoon. I plan on getting some time in tonight.

Am I the only one that finds the citizens talking way too fast and the adults sound so awkward, and creepy? ...  Maybe it's always (just) been Working Designs's style and I never noticed til now.

I definitely think jRPGs of the 1990s were pretty light on dialogue, which was tight and lacked much nuance. It was all pretty literal. I definitely think they were all a little like this, but Working Designs is pretty bad for having sort of punchy dialogue that always feels like a wink and a nudge. Whether it be creepiness, overly direct, or just (dated) pop culture shenanigans.

Did you get the bromide from the artist-dad in the farthest-rightmost house? There's only a couple you can get in the main game but they're pretty easy to find if you talk to everyone and explore everything.

...No. I can't believe I missed it. I even caught some of his dialogue earlier in which he talks about painting Lucia. I wonder if I permanently missed it or can go back for it? I may just need to play with a walkthrough, as it really bugs me when I miss things like this (I'm definitely a completionist).

EDIT: I got so frustrated about I just fired up the game for 15 minutes just to see if I could pick it up. Luckily, I could. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 04:59:41 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2023, 09:37:24 pm »
No apologies! You never need to apologize.
(was about to apologize again) Ok, I have no idea why I'm so apologetic in nature, maybe it's because I'm Asian. LOL It's just that I really like messageboards and since I'm new here, I wanted to contribute something really good to your board, is all. :)

This pace is working well for me. In fact, I go back into the office this week, so I'm going to have a few days when I know I'm just not going to have time to game. The in-office days in the city end up being like 14-hour work days (when you include drive-time).
Ok. I'll probably use that time to grind or something. Or just muck around.

I definitely think jRPGs of the 1990s were pretty light on dialogue
I've found some RPG games to be quite stoic or stilted, like Breath of Fire,--It's almost like they compressed the text down cause it didn't fit in the memory so they only spoke when they needed to. *shrug*

Working Designs is pretty bad
I remember I enjoyed the Working Designs RPGs as a kid/teen cause there was so much text and I enjoyed reading. Now that I've grown up some, it's fun to go back and look at what I was really doing at that age. LOL I think it's nice I even actually have a thought on this now than the game just overtaking me and being all blitzed-out throughout the experience.

To be honest, whenever I think of Working Designs's localization/or translation, I think a lot about how California it sounds. Like if you can pick which regional dialect of America it most sounds like California would probably be it. There's a lot of surfer lingo, and Valley Girl-speach. I think a lot of California-isms is pretty popular, and has spread throughout the states a bit too. Like I've heard people from the Midwest use "hella" and that's distinctly a Northern California/Bay Area slang word. *shrug*

When I mention "creepy" I mean like when you get into the suburbs and everyone kinda talks all the same type of deal.

(I'm definitely a completionist).
Don't worry I'm a bit of a completionist too as well, so I'll let you know if there's an important item or something that's missable. I got'yo back, homie! :D

EDIT: I got so frustrated about I just fired up the game for 15 minutes just to see if I could pick it up. Luckily, I could. :)
Lol, good.

Edit:

#6 session

I'm gonna miss Larpa.

So I finally made it to Dalton and just in time too to save Lucia. I think it's interesting that Lucia states that her and Althena's "purpose" is one in the same - and what could that be to defeat Zophar? Leo awknowledges that Lucia is saying that she and Althena are somewhat on the same level or pedestal. Lucia is definitely in the same tier as the Goddess Althena, in my opinion.

I didn't get too much gaming in today just to catch up with you I'm still in the midst of cleaning my farmhouse here. Also,--I'm really excited tonight because tomorrow I'm planning to take a trip to the mall (abt. 45 minutes away) to buy a PS4 Pro. I'm sooooo behind the times, man. Anyway, can't wait to hear from ya! :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:22:47 am by VidKid369 »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2023, 09:15:28 am »
#7 session

Notes:
-Do you know who my favorite NPC is? The guy-dude with the blue hair and yellow shirt? I really like his lines a lot. For some reason he always seems a bit "different" or stands out from the rest of the other NPC characters a lot. I'm 100% certain they use the same char sprite in SSSC as I recognize it so much. All of his lines there, were funny as well.
-A lot of the characters' lines in Dalton have changed, I'm 100% sure. If you bypass speaking to Ronfar and just go straight to Dalton everyone has different lines for the most part (so are you actually supposed to do that)? The Dragonship Destiny is now parked there and that changed everyone's focus to that now.
-I'm surprised Althena's Guards can drink?
-I love, love, love the Chosen sub-plot where everyone talks about how Althena's church is doing shady things like asking for a lot of donations? Why do they need so much of the money for?
-Dalton is a really nice town, compared to Larpa. Why do all the women always seem to be fawning on the men so much? I wish it were like that around me in real-life? :D
-Sometimes I don't really understand the kids all that much. O_o;

So I'm in the hangar right before you board the Destiny and save Lucia. I'll wait for you, bro. I can def move further ahead but I like when we're right caught up w/ each other. :) I'm prob gonna play a little bit each day though.

Personal story: I went to the mall today and the three stores I went to said they don't carry the PS4 Pro anymore. Bumsville. I suspected as such cause I checked the PS4 launch date and it turns 10 this year so they likely took it off the shelfs. My Dad's friend in Manila said he found it there though so I have to see what the deal is. Last resort is getting a used one online but I'd rather get a brand new one still in the box. It costs more but whatever.

Oh well.

To be honest, I'm more invested in this LUNAR project I have going on with you, man. Take care and cheers!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2023, 10:06:53 am »
Sorry I haven't been able to play any the past two days. I've got the flu (started Sunday night) and haven't been well enough to do anything but lay in bed. I'm a little improved today and have some critical work meetings I have to attend virtually (I have to help onboard a new operations team here at work), so I'm going to have time to dive in and play.

I went to the mall today and the three stores I went to said they don't carry the PS4 Pro anymore. Bumsville. I suspected as such cause I checked the PS4 launch date and it turns 10 this year so they likely took it off the shelfs.

Daaaaang, the PS4 is 10 years old?!?! I've not owned a console since the PS3 and Xbox360... although I do have a Nintendo Switch. I love the Nintendo and the portability, but it's super frustrating at the price model. First-party exclusive games are excellent (such as Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario, etc), but those that are available on the PC are almost certainly more expensive on the Switch than any other console. Truth be told, I'm tempted to get a Steam Deck, both for emulation and PC gaming.

Are PS4 cheaper in the Philippines than in the US? Are they region-locked? Worst case scenario is that I could try to track one down here and ship it to you. Seriously, I would!

So I'm in the hangar right before you board the Destiny and save Lucia. I'll wait for you, bro. I can def move further ahead but I like when we're right caught up w/ each other. :) I'm prob gonna play a little bit each day though.

I plan on playing daily - or as close to daily as I can - so don't be afraid to go a little past me. I'm apt to catch up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:12:03 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2023, 07:31:22 pm »
Back on it.

Dalton:
Talking to a guy in the pier, Ronfar ends up saying "that bastich of a boat." I thought he meant to say 'bitch' but looked it up, and it's a word meaning "An obnoxious or contemptible person." I learned a new word today! Haha

I found it interesting you can find another Dagger in the upper room of the pier.

Dragonship Destiny
You can also chat with the soldiers on the ship after you defeat them. Some of them are hilarious:
"I think...I popped...a 'roid..."
"This is even worse...than the time I...unleashed an air biscuit...right in front of...Lord...Leo..." <-This is a phrase I haven't heard in years!
"Perhaps...I should have explained....the definition of..."surrender" to you..."

I also got an Iron Shield as a drop from one of these guys. Nice!

I like that even after capturing Lucia, Leo (and his men) feel compassion and aren't quite confident in their decision to capture and execute her.

Starlight Woods and the Star Dragon Tower
After rescuing Lucia, I came here to scout out. Got some character building that was fun. Ruby being Ruby and jealous of Lucia... Hiro opening up to Lucia about his thirst for adventure (and that he learned very young that life is short and precious, which I am guessing ties back to his parents).

Illusion Woods
You think these guys would be sick of playing dice with Ronfar, but they never learn. At least be smart enough to use your own dice, geeeeez!

I obtained the Snake Crest... I completely forgot about this element of the game! Items that, when equipped, grant certain magics. Ronfar got this one.

Finally, at the heart of the forest... the caravan. :)

I'm saving and stopping here for the day.