Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > General Discussion

Let's Play 2023 - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete

<< < (2/56) > >>

VidKid369:
All's good, man! Sounds like you had a very festive Christmas, mine was pretty quiet. (as usual)

Yeah a lot of people love the monologue narrator's voice but after hearing it again I think it's just like ok. Don't get me wrong, I love all the voice actors from Working Designs but I don't think this character has "ThE BeSt VoiCe EvEr!1one" like some fans try to claim. Yep, this game is so late-90s - to - early-2000s style of JRPG. It probably has a lot to do with the anime cutscenes and little chibi character sprites. Yah, I noticed that the graphics weren't looking that good on a PS3 + 4K television setup, but I like old games so I think that adds a nice touch, at least the font looks ok to me... that's all that really matters to me.

I try to pick apart each scene. With Lucia, I wonder "Who is Lucia, anyway? Where did she come from? How is she related to Althena in some way?" She mentions that, "It isn't the time for her Awakening." So she knows that she's supposed to awaken from her deep crystallization but now isn't the right time and that something's gone wrong. Personally, I deeply think Lucia is just one of Althena's children that she left behind on the Blue Star to guard it. And along with that comes some of her powers. I don't think she's her 'sister' or anything, or 'another part of Althena' in some way.

Ok. Looks good that we both managed to at least get the game going! :) I'll try to play a little bit more tonight maybe a 30 min. sesh or something! ((I'm having so much fun, Boo!!!))

Edited: Oops! I forgot to touch upon Hiro and Ruby! So Hiro's definitely a lot more talkative compared to Alex in the first game, I think that's one of the major differences. Ruby is a lot like Nall like very smart-mouthed, maybe even moreso if you can believe that! I think they make a great duo too!! Ruby's very helpful in battles as she'll pick off enemies with low HP that're already near-death, so you can count on her as an asset in battles just like a regular playable character. She doesn't heal you like Nall though - she's strictly an offensive character, maybe because of her Fire-element? Don't count on her to heal you in battles if you got used to the first game!!! Hiro's also a really good attacker, just like any JRPG main character you're probably gonna rely on Hiro a lot to do everything like picking off groups or individual enemies! He's reliable-enough to get you through the early stages/portion of the game alone so don't worry! A cheat, - I would suggest just using your magic/skills all the time to pick off enemies quicker and just run back to the nearest Althena's Statue. I learned this after playing the game so much for such a long time.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:

--- Quote ---Yeah a lot of people love the monologue narrator's voice but after hearing it again I think it's just like ok
--- End quote ---

This is exactly how I felt. I struggle with it a little, in fact. Out of curiosity, I went back to watch a few cutscenes from Silver Star Harmony, and I think I like that VA for Ghaleon more. Some of the Harmony VAs were really off-putting, but putting them side by side, the Ghaleon VA for Harmony is probably better IMO. It's definitely a bit more generic, but it's also more commanding.

--- Quote ---Personally, I deeply think Lucia is just one of Althena's children that she left behind on the Blue Star to guard it. And along with that comes some of her powers. I don't think she's her 'sister' or anything, or 'another part of Althena' in some way.
--- End quote ---

I've played Silver Star Story, Silver Star Story Complete, and Silver Star Harmony probably a dozen times between the three of them, but I've only ever played Eternal Blue Complete once (and never have I played the original). I need to refresh my memory as I go through the game, but I definitely like the idea of Lucia just being one of what could be more "daughters" of the goddess.

Man, I wonder whatever happened to these VA? I used to love watching the behind the scenes DVDs of Working Design games. Same with Victor Ireland. A lot of them just never went anywhere in the industry and that's heartbreaking to me.

VidKid369:
I still have to play Silver Star Harmony. Oopsies! :) I have it on my PSP Go I think. I just like the Working Designs version that I feel I don't need to play any other copy. lol

Oh don't get me wrong I like that character and voice actor a lot for that ... character, sometimes I get put off by fans saying he's the best voice in the industry, woo woo woo. To be honest, I think that was just a bad reading for the beginning of Eternal Blue Complete. It sounded so rushed to me like they were trying to confine the lines within a short amount of time. That voice actor does a better job when they have time to really elongate and express the words and the loveliness of the sound.

You should definitely try to play Eternal Blue on Sega CD, I played it for the first time in 2016 and if you like the PSX version it's almost identical to the Sega CD version with just different lines of dialogue here-and-there and a different look to ea. character's character sprites. And there's a gameplay feature called Magic Points where you get to expend points on building up your skills and much to the chagrin of many players use them to save the game. (This didn't go over well with a lot of fans. But personally I had no problem w/ it.) Calling Lucia one of Althena's "daughters" is a good take, she definitely looks young and has that naivete about her that definitely fits the qualities of being almost a child-like.

Some of the voice actors have Facebooks. I know Jenny Stigile and Ashley Angel have one. Some of the others I tried to search for, but couldn't find anything. I know I usually save the Making of disc for after finishing the game it's like the cherry on top. Out of all of them I think Ashley was definitely the most successful.

VidKid369:
#2 session

I decided to wait for you. So before I even went near the Blue Spire, I decided to take Gwyn to the Salyan Desert because that's literally the only place to grind right now. There's no other option besides going to the Blue Spire and cont. on with the storyline. The monsters in the spire can be quasi semi-annoying so I decided to just level up a bit, while I wait for you, in the desert you passed through previously where you meet Leo for the first time. I always feel kinda bad just going through it once and not spending more time in there for gaining levels so I just backtracked this time cause I felt like doing so.

Hiro was at level 7 and I gained about three levels. I just went back and forth thru the two screens over and over, stopping at the Althena Statue ea. time. I made sure to always exit nearest to the statue so I can be refreshed to go through a pass again. It may not be important but it's a nice, early starting trick to stock up on Herbs (herbies... as I like to call them), as there is nowhere to buy them right now. Every-so-often after an enemy battle it'll drop 1 Herb so you're def. lucky if you can pick up a few right now lol. I made sure to go under Tactics in the menu and move Grandpa Gwyn forward towards the enemies as his range is pretty short- he mostly winds up missing a turn just getting closer. I did the pass maybe 3-4x it doesn't take that long to clear all the 2 screens.

You don't HAVE to do this but the monsters are just annoying to deal with in the Blue Spire especially at a lower level so it's a nice cheat to level up now, before moving forward with the story. I decided to just muck around a little bit. I usually leave an area when it isn't worth the time to level up one.

I did this for 50 minutes.

I'll look forward to your post hopefully tomorrow to see where you're at! :)

(If you want I can just go ahead and move forward-on before you see this post.)

Edit: #2.5 session

I got bored and had some extra time tonight so I went inside the Blue Spire. I'm at the Althena's Statue in the Blue Spire. The Spire isn't really a good place to really level as the enemies are imo tougher and give the same amount of exp as the ones in the desert. The spire is really tall with a lot of floors so I like to tackle it in one go (as in not leaving). I'm pretty sure you can leave if you want, but why would you? I'd suggest just making a b-line to the Althena's Statue and gathering your thoughts there, on how to proceed forward. Gwyn is a lot like Jessica in the first game he has heal litanies and hits with a mace so use him to heal Hiro before using up a Herb. I like to spend a lot of time with Gwyn as after this he leaves and doesn't join your party ever again. (The game is pretty linear.) He's pretty helpful doe for the most part.

Hiro calls him 'grandpa' but Gwyn has different ears than him, so who knows if they're even related? They just live in the desert together with all the cactuses and cacti. Gwyn's voice makes me gag he's so old. He only learns 2 more magic skills so you might want to level him up if you want to see them, and hear his cry during battle.

I'm in the Spire right now. I'll be waiting for ya! :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
Sylvan Desert

I encountered the Dragonship Destiny. What an entrance! I always loved the idea of the desert "sandship" -- such a cool motif that fits so well with Hiro (and Gywn) and the archaeologist archetype.

I like the concept of Althena's Guard and the return of the Four Heroes. Also, the character design for White Dragon Knight Leo are so awesome ("How amusing. Not only are you country folk rude and ignorant, but your pets are as well.") Ha! I love his character design, and it's nice seeing the beastmen of SSS show up here.

Random thought: Exploring the desert and leveling up, I hate the walking speed, and the dash mechanic is just so broken.

Gwyn's House

Onto Gwyn's camp, the song reminds me a lot of Meribia. In talking to Leo several times, Ruby mentions that he's 25 and never had a girlfriend. Bahaha! I take it this is moreso smart talk rather than fact, but funny none-the-less.

Reading the books in Gwyn's basement, a few comments:
(1) It's nice to see references to both Magic City Vane and Dragonmaster Alex;
(2) I always thought it was cool that they build on the lore of SSS by explaining that the people of Lunar actually come from the mother world, the Blue Star. I tend to forget that the world of Lunar is literally on a moon, rather than a planet.
(3) one of books mentions Althena returning multiple times,

--- Quote ---A Brief History of Althena Volume 1: Glorious Rebirth: Every few hundred years, we are blessed with the return of Althena, the Goddess of beauty and love. Althena leads her children into an era of peace and absolute harmony before returning to the heavens...
--- End quote ---
...so does this mean that there are possibly untold stories of another child of Althena (like Lucia) having returned between SSS and EB? Lot's of opportunity here for other stories, both after EB and before (but after SSS).

Random thought: I've always LOVED the world maps of Lunar and Chrono Trigger. There are no monsters, and you can really take in the scenery and just chew it up. I also like how, in both CT and SSS, you can see the shadows on the land from the sky. Such small details that I love.

Blue Spire

Now into the Blue Spire... it's always nice seeing familiar enemy types, like slimes and those clthuhu-esque one-eyed monsters (this one is called the 'brainpicker').

I also like how the musical theme of this game is used here again as the dungeon music. Something about the song is so quintessentially old school anime. It reminds me a little of Castle in the Sky for some reason. If you're not familiar with it, it's an old Studio Ghibli film from Japan in the 1980's.

I fought through and reached the garden, which is where I'm going to save for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version