Author Topic: Is Leena Adopted?  (Read 3798 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Is Leena Adopted?
« on: October 01, 2020, 07:12:41 pm »
Una is her "brother" but this can't be true—Miguel left for the Sea of Eden in 1006, when Leena was only 2 years old. Una, by appearance, is much younger than her, meaning that Miguel is not Una's father; Miguel also doesn't mention Una's name when he dies, only Leena's. So either their mother remarried years later, or Leena was adopted by a family in the village.

I'm leaning on the latter if only because another father is never mentioned. For that matter, their mother is only mentioned, never shown. Which is odd. We see their grandmother but not their mother?

Hm. I suppose it could be Una who is adopted instead.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Is Leena Adopted?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »
He doesn't look that much younger. He reaches about up to Serge's chin, for instance. Or just slightly smaller than the 14 year old Van's height. Unless he was just tall for his age, whichever one was it.

If Una was conceived just about before the demon panther incident, that would make him about 13, almost 14 at the most, by the time of Cross, so... still plausible to be Miguel's biological son, I'd say. Which can also explain why Miguel only mentioned Leena. Tragic as it could be that he may legit not know he has a son, as he left before finding out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:01:19 am by Acacia Sgt »

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:48:35 pm »
Leena is 100% adopted.  It's really the only explanation that makes sense.  And the fact we never see her mother is more than suspicious.  I think there may have been a major plot thread here that was simply abandoned by the developers.  Hmmm...  Can no one see it?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:24:02 pm »
I mean, Leena being actually Crono and Marle's daughter who ended up in El Nido after the Fall used to be a popular theory, though also going hand in hand with the "Miguel is Crono" one.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 10:27:35 pm »
I believe this might have been originally intended.  The only thing that really wrecks the theory in canon is Miguel's appearance and how the Dead Sea sequence played out.  Everything else fits.  Huge missed opportunity by the devs.  Might this have been a consequence of a reduced budget?  It really saddens me to think of what might have been.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 04:18:55 pm »
Miguel is Leena’s biological father, although Una has similar hair color to Miguel… It is possible he fathered Una before he left with Wazuki but I’m not sure if Una’s age was ever referenced anywhere. He does look young, but he seems to be older than Mel in the sense he talks mature. Also, he may be a few years younger and just hasn’t hit a growth spurt yet  :D as far as both of them in Home or Another, they may be adopted by the old lady (Leena’s grandmother?) opposite the docks where Leena babysits the children swimming.

Not to change the subject, but aside from her and/or Una being adopted, Leena doesn’t get a lot of love… she is a top-notch character in terms of stats, but I’ve always felt she got the short-end of the stick both story and relationship-wise  :(  after Serge was teleported to Another World, she just states he shouldn’t play magic tricks on her after the deep conversation and marriage she alluded to him on Opassa Beach. It’s like all that serious talk went out the window. Kid comes into play and Serge just seems to forget about his childhood friend (and future spouse) altogether. I feel like there should be a case for Leena here… I kinda wish you had the option to choose who you wanted to be with at the end, or Leena would just challenge Kid to an Arni-style tribal fist fight or something lol (that would make amazing fan art haha)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 04:44:32 pm »
Personally I stand that Una was indeed conceived shortly before Miguel left... so the guy has no idea he has a second kid back home. I'm pretty sure Una is of similar height to Van, who is 14 himself. I've always pegged Una as being 12-14, certainly a preteen at least. Which would match as Miguel was gone in 1006AD, so the dates could match.

Not to change the subject, but aside from her and/or Una being adopted, Leena doesn’t get a lot of love… she is a top-notch character in terms of stats, but I’ve always felt she got the short-end of the stick both story and relationship-wise  :(  after Serge was teleported to Another World, she just states he shouldn’t play magic tricks on her after the deep conversation and marriage she alluded to him on Opassa Beach. It’s like all that serious talk went out the window. Kid comes into play and Serge just seems to forget about his childhood friend (and future spouse) altogether. I feel like there should be a case for Leena here… I kinda wish you had the option to choose who you wanted to be with at the end, or Leena would just challenge Kid to an Arni-style tribal fist fight or something lol (that would make amazing fan art haha)

I'd say, I feel the same. Would've been interested if there was an option to choose... though I fear it could've ended up like the Bianca/Nera choice of Dragon Quest V.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:45:20 pm by Acacia Sgt »