Author Topic: Chrono Cross Remaster and Radical Dreamers Localization Announced!  (Read 31711 times)

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Remaster and Radical Dreamers Localization Announced!
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2022, 12:06:32 pm »
https://twitter.com/chronogame/status/1512083022631292928?s=21&t=OHd_L3cQMgoKOipjJsd7AA

Yuuki says that while he was careful to not drastically alter any portraits/character art, that some on the original game went in without his final approval, and he was sure to refine those ones more.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2022, 01:21:02 pm »
Been playing for a bit. Couple notes:

- You have Time Shifter from the start, not only New Game+… for some reason.
- There’s a toggle for no random battles and increased random battles. No random battles means you can run into enemies on the map, they’re still there, and when you touch them they do their “agressive / start battle” animation, but nothing else happens. Battles aren’t initiated. I don’t know what “boost encounters” does yet.
- In the start screen of the game you can choose old or new graphics. Old is what you know, and a more classic looking font. New means you get updated portraits, updated menu character art, a more modern font, and some texture touch ups on the character models. Serge gets a different, sharper face, in his overworld model as well as his battle model. Dunno about other characters, Poshul didn’t look too different.
- The dialogue text speed is a bit faster I feel like, and it also skips if you keep mashing A. New players will want to be careful to not miss anything.
- Music is unchanged, including Scars of Time, but the quality is higher and it sounds beautiful.
- There’s an autosave that saves whenever you enter the world map. It always takes up the first save slot, and it doesn’t seem you can disable it.

One more funny thing I noticed: I believe in the original, when you get the 200G from under Serge’s bed, it said “Serge took out his secret savings”. This time around, it says “Serge took out his not-so-secret savings”.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2022, 02:14:39 pm »
Also off-topic but, I've gone through several reviewers (who are self-proclaimed big time fans of the game) and all of them were mind blown by the fast forward and slow mo feature and none of them seemed to be aware this was actually a feature of the original...u just had to earn it by beating the game... @____@

Ignorance is bliss lol

Thanks sergecross73 for those links! Those were good reads! I am looking forward to experiencing the game again, especially for the fact that Kato-san said he cleaned up the original text. I wonder if a few things were added… hmm… but anywho I am also curious what this post-credits thing is … could it be a hint at something to come? or a thanks from the staff? Probably the latter, but I’m excited regardless.

@Beach Bum
Maybe boost encounters increases the encounter rate in the field when random encounters are turned on?

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2022, 03:58:57 pm »
Been playing for a bit. Couple notes:

- You have Time Shifter from the start, not only New Game+… for some reason.
- There’s a toggle for no random battles and increased random battles. No random battles means you can run into enemies on the map, they’re still there, and when you touch them they do their “agressive / start battle” animation, but nothing else happens. Battles aren’t initiated. I don’t know what “boost encounters” does yet.
- In the start screen of the game you can choose old or new graphics. Old is what you know, and a more classic looking font. New means you get updated portraits, updated menu character art, a more modern font, and some texture touch ups on the character models. Serge gets a different, sharper face, in his overworld model as well as his battle model. Dunno about other characters, Poshul didn’t look too different.
- The dialogue text speed is a bit faster I feel like, and it also skips if you keep mashing A. New players will want to be careful to not miss anything.
- Music is unchanged, including Scars of Time, but the quality is higher and it sounds beautiful.
- There’s an autosave that saves whenever you enter the world map. It always takes up the first save slot, and it doesn’t seem you can disable it.

One more funny thing I noticed: I believe in the original, when you get the 200G from under Serge’s bed, it said “Serge took out his secret savings”. This time around, it says “Serge took out his not-so-secret savings”.

I noticed that too lol. I know there's no new story content, but I kinda hope there's more little changes like that to find.

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2022, 04:01:56 pm »
https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/chrono-cross-radical-dreamers-edition-interview

Q: Finally, fans always ask so we have to - will we see a brand-new entry in the Chrono series?

A: There are no plans at the moment. I don’t know what the future holds either.

Kinda disappointed they went straight to "no plans" rather than a "let's see how the remaster sells" but I guess at least it wasn't a hard no...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2022, 04:24:37 pm »
About the "secret savings" line change...that could be a bug or mistake, as that variant originally displayed when using a different party leader.

One of the first things I checked for in videos was the name of the Arni restaurant/bar, as it turned out that the names we know (and therefore, the only mention of the chef's name) were a product of localization. For the remaster, they didn't recreate those background edits in the videos I've seen, so they've been reverted to the English text originally used in the Japanese version.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:39:11 pm by Vehek »

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2022, 04:56:23 pm »
Been playing the game for a bit. I was getting to the conclusion that they didn't enhance any of the 3d models asides from Serge, Kid, Guile(for some reason), and Lynx. However during Karsh's fight I noticed that his hair had updated textures and his face also had a texture touch-up where you could see some of his complexion between his eyebrows. (Solt and Peppor got no treatment sadly).

Looking at it side by side the texture in the clothing seems slightly different and the polygons also look slightly different. I'm curious to see what other models have been updated. From what I saw in a video it looked to me like Niki's face was also re-done.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:04:04 pm by Ema »

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2022, 08:02:39 pm »
There's a lot of talk going around that the game is really just an emulated version, even has the CDROM.dat files inside the data folder...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Phalk

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2022, 11:39:40 pm »
There's a lot of talk going around that the game is really just an emulated version, even has the CDROM.dat files inside the data folder...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just some dat files with the game files inside it.

Looks like this port has been in the works since 2019, going by the files timestamp lol.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:41:14 pm by Phalk »

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2022, 11:48:57 pm »
About the "secret savings" line change...that could be a bug or mistake, as that variant originally displayed when using a different party leader.

One of the first things I checked for in videos was the name of the Arni restaurant/bar, as it turned out that the names we know (and therefore, the only mention of the chef's name) were a product of localization. For the remaster, they didn't recreate those background edits in the videos I've seen, so they've been reverted to the English text originally used in the Japanese version.

Maybe, but there seems to be other differences. Earlier in the thread there's a quote that Kid said slightly different. And I could have sworn some of the early dialogue with Una was different too...

Bikkun

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2022, 12:10:38 am »
Hi, new user here.

So I preordered this game on Steam and cannot find the wallapaper they advertised. Anyone know where it is?

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:09 am »
Maybe, but there seems to be other differences. Earlier in the thread there's a quote that Kid said slightly different. And I could have sworn some of the early dialogue with Una was different too...

Quote from: Una (Original)
Don't tell her I said
so, but my sister's
a bit uptight, you know?
Could you, like, break
her in a little? You know,
make her act a little
more ladylike?

Quote from: Una (New)
Don't tell her I said
so, but my sister's a
bit too quick to lash out.
Could you, like, make
her be a little nicer
to me?

X4220

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2022, 05:14:40 am »
Dont know about PC, on PS4 I got theme downloaded along with game.
Anyway, entered Viper Manor through Shadow Forest, so far so good.I like improved visuals, replayed game last year on PS3 and this is significant upgrade.Refined art is excelent, Nobuteru Yuuki did great work, I was surprised with Marge and Zippa art, not to mention others.
Regarding dialogue, for the first time after 13th playthroughs I discovered that Zappa had to say something about Mojo's nail.Also, granny who reads fairy tales to sick child in Termina now comments how ''Guldove is in dark age'', sure it was different in original.
Now, I preffer using ''dynamic'' camera in battle, and with that camera, game now have tendency to...show Kid's underwear (3 or 4 times so far).Kid is my favorite character by far, but I returned camera back to normal, too much fan service for me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:19:46 am by X4220 »

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2022, 09:09:59 am »

Quote from: Una (Original)
Don't tell her I said
so, but my sister's
a bit uptight, you know?
Could you, like, break
her in a little? You know,
make her act a little
more ladylike?

Quote from: Una (New)
Don't tell her I said
so, but my sister's a
bit too quick to lash out.
Could you, like, make
her be a little nicer
to me?

Thank you, that's exactly what I was referring to. It stood out to me since I always thought her request to "break her in a little" and "make her more ladylike" was a bit weird/awkward phrasing to ask of a teenage boy... and now it's not there anymore. Not that I'm complaining, the new wording probably makes more sense. I wonder if it's a more or less faithful translation? Or they thought it was weirdly worded.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:46:38 am by sergecross73 »