Author Topic: Chrono Cross Remaster and Radical Dreamers Localization Announced!  (Read 31704 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Remaster and Radical Dreamers Localization Announced!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2022, 07:18:34 pm »
https://twitter.com/chronogame/status/1495043242584207360

Quote from: Kid
   Sorry, mum.
   I don't believe in
   fortune-tellin' at all.

"Mum" has become "dearie" for some reason. Does this mean there is going to be a new translation? If so, why was it not mentioned along with the other changes? Will we have the option to play with the original script, like how we can disable the graphics filters?

If the game isn't getting a remake, I want the original translation. One of the things that excited me about the remaster's announcement was that there was no mention of any changes in that regard. Now I'm worried about a repeat of the Chrono Trigger DS hackjob.

They also changed Kid's portrait for some reason, though that art looks incredible so don't mind that change.

It's weird that they're changing some of the terms in the script, I doubt there will be major differences tho. Then again, what was wrong with Chrono Trigger DS's script? It was much closer to the original japanese than Woolsey. I understand the frustration at changing some terms for nostalgic people, but I liked it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 07:20:10 pm by Beach Bum »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2022, 07:35:41 pm »
I'm guessing they don't want to give the impression Kid is referring to the fortune teller as her mother, since that's what mum can mean. Other than a term for silence. Also, in context, Kid is likely talking down on the fortune teller, which "dearie" as a slang term can be used for condescension.

Also, gonna say, CTDS is hardly a hackjob.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 07:41:53 pm by Acacia Sgt »

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2022, 08:03:49 pm »
It's weird that they're changing some of the terms in the script, I doubt there will be major differences tho. Then again, what was wrong with Chrono Trigger DS's script? It was much closer to the original japanese than Woolsey. I understand the frustration at changing some terms for nostalgic people, but I liked it.

There were a couple of places where the new translation added clarity. Gaspar's infamous line
One of you is close to someone who needs help... Find this person...fast.
caused so much confusion over the years that I was glad to see it changed.

There was also the part where an old man gives you a hint for the Masamune fight, but it's no help because he refers to "EnergyWhirls" when he should be warning you about tornadoes.

Outside of those two occasions, I can't think of anywhere the new script was an improvement over the original. It was incredibly dry overall, and in places it was downright stilted.

But I didn't mean to derail the conversation, which should be about the Chrono Cross remaster. I'm just worried about why they wouldn't announce a retranslation when they've been upfront about other changes (and giving players the ability to revert those changes).

I'm guessing they don't want to give the impression Kid is referring to the fortune teller as her mother, since that's what mum can mean. Other than a term for silence. Also, in context, Kid is likely talking down on the fortune teller, which "dearie" as a slang term can be used for condescension.
I suppose that's possible, although I doubt anyone would get that impression. I hope I'm just overreacting and this is the only change they've made to the script.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2022, 09:25:53 pm »
I suppose that's possible, although I doubt anyone would get that impression. I hope I'm just overreacting and this is the only change they've made to the script.

I mean, the game is being officially released worldwide at last. I'd think they are minding the non-US Anglo audiences who could be able to get a bit confused with the mum being used.

EDIT: Forgot it was more than just the UK...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 09:37:52 pm by Acacia Sgt »

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2022, 12:11:43 am »

Sorry, mum.
   I don't believe in
   fortune-tellin' at all.

"Mum" has become "dearie" for some reason. Does this mean there is going to be a new translation? If so, why was it not mentioned along with the other changes? Will we have the option to play with the original script, like how we can disable the graphics filters?

If the game isn't getting a remake, I want the original translation. One of the things that excited me about the remaster's announcement was that there was no mention of any changes in that regard. Now I'm worried about a repeat of the Chrono Trigger DS hackjob.

They also changed Kid's portrait for some reason, though that art looks incredible so don't mind that change.

They're making new portraits for all the characters. Kids is much more noticeable than others though because it's more different from her original than most characters.

But yeah, this is exactly why I'm excited to replay the new version. I doubt there's major changes, but I'm interested in seeing what minor things they may have changed like this. Even a minor translation change could alter the theories we've discussed so much over these years.

Epiphron

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 07:38:01 am »
Apart from the mum/dearie thing, I haven't seen any other examples of the script diverging from the original, so it's just going to be some very minor changes here and there, and nothing resembling a complete retranslation. If the latter were the case it would have been obvious everywhere, as with the new RD translation.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 02:12:58 pm »
Yeah, it's very likely that any script tweaks will be mostly small, and relegated to fixes and/or up to date to the 2020's or so...

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 01:14:37 pm »

Sorry, mum.
   I don't believe in
   fortune-tellin' at all.

They're making new portraits for all the characters. Kids is much more noticeable than others though because it's more different from her original than most characters.

But yeah, this is exactly why I'm excited to replay the new version. I doubt there's major changes, but I'm interested in seeing what minor things they may have changed like this. Even a minor translation change could alter the theories we've discussed so much over these years.

It looks like they’re using the updated character art for the new portraits, which for most characters their portraits were already based off of that, but Kid’s was completely unique in that regard, and also that she had two portraits, one where she’s smiling and one where she’s not. I guess that latter trait is now lost, but like I said the artwork looks so good I don’t really mind.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:15:31 pm by Beach Bum »

Tirion

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2022, 04:39:18 am »
This news has roused me from my internet slumber.  And I'm pretty excited!  The dialog font looks nice.  I wonder how they went about the HD aspects technically, and if the required 4GB of storage is indicative of any specific method.

Lina・Takezawa

• Iokan (+1)
  • TwitterID @sananoboyaki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2022, 12:52:00 pm »
Long time no see.  Today, the Japanese Chrono Cross official has started accepting questions about the work on Twitter.  If you understand Japanese, why don't you use "#クロノクロスクエスチョン" to ask a question?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2022, 05:51:29 pm »
Would be awesome if someone could compile the answers too, much in the same way AcaciaSgt has been on top of those character bios. We're getting steady little pieces of lore...

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2022, 02:50:00 pm »
Long time no see.  Today, the Japanese Chrono Cross official has started accepting questions about the work on Twitter.  If you understand Japanese, why don't you use "#クロノクロスクエスチョン" to ask a question?

Do you have a link to their Twitter page?

I think this should be of highest current priority, as our Japanese counterparts may be asking legit questions, and I know for a fact there are fans over there just like us who have been waiting AGES for anything Chrono-related.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2022, 04:18:54 pm »

Here's their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CHRONO_CROSS_RD

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2022, 04:36:41 pm »

Here's their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CHRONO_CROSS_RD

Thanks! I’ll do some digging.

It’s crazy but I just noticed Starky at the top of the sail in the newest CC promotional art… hmm…

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2022, 06:11:47 pm »
We'll have to wait, as they replied saying they will answer questions at a later date. Right now, the vast majority of questions are asking whether there will be a physical edition or additional features not yet talked about. There are a couple of interesting ones, such as if Kid and Harle are the same person, and who the talking statue at Terra Tower is supposed to be.