Author Topic: Enhansa Edition  (Read 4620 times)

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Enhansa Edition
« on: November 01, 2021, 05:07:25 am »

Hello friends,

I am happy to present Enhansa Edition, a mod of Chrono Trigger that I've been working on for over a year now. Follow this link to download it!

Enhansa Edition aims to improve Chrono Trigger's battle system to make combat more fun. The inspiration for the mod was, "What if Hypno Wave was actually useful?" and from there it spiraled out of control to rewriting enemy AI, redesigning items and equipment, modifying Techs, and more. My goal was to give the player more choices about how to grow and gear your characters and to have those choices be felt in battle.

In addition to an overhaul of many of the battle mechanics, character advancement through the Tabs has been reworked. Instead of Power, Magic, and Speed Tabs, a new NPC at the End of Time will offer stat upgrades to all characters in exchange for Soda Tabs (which have replaced the old Tabs one-for-one).

If you're looking for a vanilla Chrono Trigger experience with an all-new feel to the combat, this is the mod for you. This is not a "difficulty hack". That is to say, the game has not been made frustratingly difficult on purpose. Let me be clear that the mod is more difficult than vanilla Chrono Trigger; it was a game originally designed for children, after all. In redesigning the battle mechanics, my interest is in increasing the number of options that the player has to consider. One major way this is achieved is through status effects in battle. Full functionality has been restored to many status effects that go largely ignored in vanilla Chrono Trigger.

Improving on Chrono Trigger is a daunting task. The original game gets so many things right. I have endeavoured to keep the quick pace of combat from the original while still presenting challenges for the player to overcome. Thank you for your interest and I hope to have you playing Enhansa Edition very soon!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:52:53 pm by inuksuk »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Enhansa Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:54:20 am »
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing all the changes and playing this hack.

When you're ready for release, please let me know. If you grab one or two screenshots showcasing anything new visually, I can write an article and post it on the front page.

Also, if you use Reddit, I can also create or pin a post on r/chronotrigger to aide in visibility.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 08:10:41 pm »
Thanks, Boo! I'll take you up on that.

On an unrelated note, and speaking to everyone in general now, I just wanted to mention that the title of my hack is an intentional misspelling of "Enhasa". I'm just making a bad pun with "enhanced" and I know the spelling is a common point of confusion.
:)

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 09:47:36 pm »
On another note, here's some teasers for what this hack is bringing.

Marle getting her stats upgraded at the End of Time:
https://youtu.be/et58Zu8YN5E

Marle performing her new Tech, Sky Shot:
https://youtu.be/hbHzxrp4Yfw

Note these videos are from earlier builds and may look different from the release version.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 11:43:24 am »
This is awesome!!!!  :D  :D

Xeregs906

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 11:56:34 am »
Wow! Awesome Work! I'm excited to see the finished version  :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »
Moving to the site updates forum to get it on the frontpage, if that will attract more beta testers. Let me know if you'd rather keep it stashed here, though. I can always move it back here after the beta test period (in lieu of the final release).

Doc_Cigarette

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »
This is some good news, i'm glad i logged in today.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:46:42 pm »
I appreciate the enthusiasm and support, but could you move it off the front page for now? I'm winding down the Beta phase so a full release won't take much longer. Mainly I need to consolidate the changelog which I've been dreading!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 10:28:34 pm »
Been there. Crimson Echoes's bug tracker Agent 12 maintained was literally hundreds of items  :cry:

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 10:42:27 pm »
Enhansa Edition v1.0 is now available, hot and fresh! Check it out at the link below:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6440/

Zeality, if you'd be so kind as to make it a news post again I'd appreciate it. :-)

And Boo, you mentioned the r/chronotrigger subreddit--I've submitted a post there as well.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 05:28:08 pm »
Would someone kindly move this topic back to Kajar Laboratories? Thank you in advance!

AuthenticM

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 09:48:21 pm »
Hello!

First, thank you for your work on this mod! It sounds fantastic all around and I very much intend to play it.

That said, I have a question. Would it be possible to release a variant of the mod that incorporates Chrono Trigger Complete? I really want to use both hacks, and I don't want to have to choose between one or the other. I would super appreciate it!

Thank you again!

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 05:05:43 pm »
Looks like an interesting mod! It's a considerable amount of work to make two mods so large in scope work together though, sorry.