Author Topic: Crimson Echoes Plus  (Read 10655 times)

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Echoes Plus
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 04:22:40 pm »
Something I noticed on my version I gave you is that several of the character's pallets have been altered to make them feel more unique from the original game.

Characters like Crono and Lucca might just have different colored outfits which look pretty cool but you may not like all of them.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 06:30:04 pm »
A few ideas:
1.) New techs as originally intended.
2.) Triple techs for Magus!

I wrote a module for the CT randomizer (https://github.com/Anskiy/jetsoftime) which allows duplication of characters (i.e. Magus may become a copy of Marle with all her techs, etc).  So in a roundabout way I've given Magus triple techs and more generally mangled the tech data.  If needed, I would be happy to share what I know.  There were some ordeals involved that are best not repeated.

I've done the tech expansion thing pretty well at this point, including some hurdles with Magus specific restrictions.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 07:01:47 pm »
Something I noticed on my version I gave you is that several of the character's pallets have been altered to make them feel more unique from the original game.

Characters like Crono and Lucca might just have different colored outfits which look pretty cool but you may not like all of them.

That's more than okay!!! I'll check it out when I get to play it, but I actually wanted to change most of the sprites to show the passing of time.

For example, a few ideas I've had (and ya'll please chime in):

Crono with more regal clothes on, making him somewhat more akin to the wedding ending we see in the PS1 anime ending? (side note: A while back I made a prototype sprite for a 40+ year old King Crono using his original color palette, and although I don't quite have that in mind, something along those lines could be cool - see attached.)

Marle also with more regal clothing for Marle with a different haircut (a bob, or perhaps Queene Leene's updo?). Or maybe go the complete opposite direction and give her more of a casual, traveling-style outfit (similar baggy pants, long-sleeve shirt, maybe a waist-bound bolt quiver and satchels or something).

Lucca: Not sure what do here, really. Maybe just ditch her helmet and make tweaks to her outfit? Something to have showed her progression over the past five years.

Glenn: I like the idea of human Glenn (even though anyone who knows me knows that I have this story scenario of Frog becoming Glenn due to an amphibian plague occurring sometime between 600AD and 605AD, in which he was dying and was only able to be cured by finally finding a cure for the curse and reverting to human). I do think we should revert his hair to short and spiky to match the anime ending (plus, I'll be honest, I think I like it better short and spiky).

Ayla: I can't remember if Alya has already had kids or is pregnant in Crimson Echoes, but a pregnant sprite seams feasible if we want or need it. Regardless, we could make her outfit covering more of her body to show that the ice age is encroaching on prehistory due to the ash of Lavos' fall.

Also... Ayla is someone I'm torn on... I've heard that early scenario development of Crimson Echoes actually swapped out Ayla for Schala. This is something that we could possibly revisit, and I honestly think a playable Schala would make fans go crazy in the best way, even if it means losing my #1 waifu Ayla. I can't remember if she's already had kids or is pregnant in Crimson Echoes, but a pregnant sprite seams feasible. Oh, and we could make her outfit covering more of her body to show that the ice age is encroaching on prehistory due to the ash of Lavos' fall.

Robo: Man, I've been unsure what to do here. I honestly can't recall where and how he rejoins the party in CE/FoE -- is he already working with Balthasar? If so, perhaps he should have some minor upgrades courtesy of 2400AD? A new arm, maybe his steam backpack has been removed, etc. I dunno, but I am open to any ideas.

Magus: I haven't seen what IHBP created yet, but I love the idea of a bearded Magus. This, plus making him more unkempt overall - wild and consumed by years of searching for Schala to no avail. I could even see him having short, cropped hair with the beard, as crazy as that sounds. No matter how his face looks, I think making his cape tattered is a good direction.

EDIT: IHBP, do you happen to have a save file for your version of the mod? I want to skip to late game once I have all characters, so I can see all the changes. I just fired it up and I see Crono and Lucca's color palette changes. Can't wait to see Magus, too! :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:18:47 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Pseudoarc

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 08:30:05 pm »
A few ideas:
1.) New techs as originally intended.
2.) Triple techs for Magus!

I wrote a module for the CT randomizer (https://github.com/Anskiy/jetsoftime) which allows duplication of characters (i.e. Magus may become a copy of Marle with all her techs, etc).  So in a roundabout way I've given Magus triple techs and more generally mangled the tech data.  If needed, I would be happy to share what I know.  There were some ordeals involved that are best not repeated.

I've done the tech expansion thing pretty well at this point, including some hurdles with Magus specific restrictions.

That's great!  When I went looking for what had been done I only found bits and pieces.  I would love to compare notes sometime since I've probably missed a thing or two.  The only Magus-specific thing I found was related to how the game chooses to display "Tech" or "Comb" so it sure sounds like I'm missing something.

The most obnoxious issue that I found is that when there are more than 0x40 dual/triple techs it's possible for some tech data (mp values used by the menu) to overflow into Crono's animation pointers.  There's another break point at 0x7F total techs where tech ids 0x80 and higher trigger a BMI that's only meant to trigger for a value of 0xFF.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 09:50:07 pm »
This isn't the sort of stuff I'd want to get involved with, but I read this:

Marle also with more regal clothing for Marle with a different haircut (a bob, or perhaps Queene Leene's updo?). Or maybe go the complete opposite direction and give her more of a casual, traveling-style outfit (similar baggy pants, long-sleeve shirt, maybe a waist-bound bolt quiver and satchels or something).

... and the first thing that came to my mind was suggesting you could make Marle pull a Rosa. As in, like her appearance change from the original FFIV to The After Years. Both are archers with healing magic so it could even double as a reference, hehe. Like trade the ponytail for a bun, like Rosa did.

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »
I don't have a save file but most characters are available very quickly on a new game.

For Robo what I did was give him a fresh coat so he looks like polished bronze.
Crono has a white gi.
Lucca has a blue tunic and green helmet. (Saw it in some fan art I liked)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 12:46:36 am »
For Robo what I did was give him a fresh coat so he looks like polished bronze.
Crono has a white gi.
Lucca has a blue tunic and green helmet. (Saw it in some fan art I liked)

Funny enough, I played through the intro and got to where I name Magus, but the ROM froze on me. I got to see Crono, Marle, Lucca, and Robo. :D

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 01:20:03 pm »
That's great!  When I went looking for what had been done I only found bits and pieces.  I would love to compare notes sometime since I've probably missed a thing or two.  The only Magus-specific thing I found was related to how the game chooses to display "Tech" or "Comb" so it sure sounds like I'm missing something.

The most obnoxious issue that I found is that when there are more than 0x40 dual/triple techs it's possible for some tech data (mp values used by the menu) to overflow into Crono's animation pointers.  There's another break point at 0x7F total techs where tech ids 0x80 and higher trigger a BMI that's only meant to trigger for a value of 0xFF.

That might have been all I found for Magus specifically.

I know I ran into that tech ID issue before. I've had to shuffle a few things around to avoid data collisions.

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 02:20:58 pm »
I doubt it froze from anything I did, all my work with Magus was done in Tile Layer Pro. I could have turned him into a Missingno and it should still load.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 03:08:27 pm »
I doubt it froze from anything I did, all my work with Magus was done in Tile Layer Pro. I could have turned him into a Missingno and it should still load.

Yeah, it was the emulator, not the ROM. No worries!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 11:59:55 pm »
So I've started playing with making some mockups of the characters with tweaked palettes...

Crono is up first; I'm...
  • adding his crown as seen in the anime ending (and you can see it on the King Crono sprite above)
  • making his hair slightly less spiky
  • tweaking his outfit with King Guardia's colors
  • experimenting with a non-gi outfit; I'm currently interested in something Locke-esque (from FFVI) -- I dig the vest/adventurer look.

Can someone remind me -- can I create a new palette that can be inserted into the game, or do I have to use an existing palette? I think it's the prior but want to double check.

And is there documentation for what shares palettes? For example, do the seven main playable characters all have unique palette's that aren't shared with monsters or bosses?

EDIT: I'm looking at various 2D character sprites for inspiration on what outfits could/would look good on Crono, and I am shocked by just how many games don't have sprites ripped from them. Star Ocean on the SNES, I'm looking at you!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:39:52 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2021, 05:03:41 am »
PCs have dedicated palettes for themselves.

I believe we have some room for brand new palettes, but I'm not sure how many.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2021, 08:06:37 am »
Did somebody say Lucca?

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2021, 08:29:16 am »
Just load up the npc editor in temporal Flux and scroll through the palettes, any that turn the whole character gray are empty. Pcs sort of share their palettes Magus/Prophet is one palette, and any room that starts reaching the limitation starts having objects share with pcs the End of Time does this in Vanilla.

TheMage that Lucca looks great.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:49:36 am by IHBP »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 05:57:02 pm »
Nice Lucca.