Author Topic: Backpedaling on Closing down the PS3 and PS Vita Online Stores  (Read 3331 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
You may have seen that news some time ago. Where on July 2 the PS3, PSP, and Vita online stores would finally close down. Well, not anymore. At least for two of them:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/playstation-store-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/

Due to the outcry, they've decided to keep them open. Except the PSP store. That one will still close down. So if there's anything you thought you were on a timer to get in there, well, no need to worry anymore. At least for the time being.

On that subject, the PSN remains today the most [legal] accesible way to get Chrono Cross. So... good news there, huh. Unless you can also buy PSX games on the newer PS's.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:40:55 pm by Acacia Sgt »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Backpedaling on Closing down the PS3 and PS Vita Online Stores
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:04:48 pm »
This's great news!!! Since I don't live in the U.S. anymore I was hoping to just d/l games from the PS store since I don't have access to Amazon anymore. I almost cried and was severely disappointed when I heard they were shutting down for good, so this's just great. I'm lucky to have most of the good, must-have PS1 RPGs already on physical but I definitely am missing a few.

Awesome!! 🙂

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:16:33 pm »
Good to know! I still use my PSP a lot. I hacked it a while ago and use it for emulation. It's actually my go-to console for playing ROM hacks.

I also bought some of the PS1 greatest hits to show support for franchises (including Chrono Cross), so even if I can no longer download them on the PSP, I still have access to them on my PS3.

I also kept their .iso (or whatever format they are on for PSP) archived on my PC, so I can always manually transfer them back to the PSP. Such as Breath of Fire III (which I am eventually going to re-play and finish; I swear!).

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:12:23 pm »
Boo, I should point out the PSP store is still closing as planned. They only walked back PS3 and Vita.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 12:43:06 pm »
Yeah, I saw that. I actually re-wrote my initial post and I lost my original thought in that rewrite, haha... I was trying to say that I use my PSP as a mobile emulator, and that even then I archived my PSP .iso files for the games I've purchased. Plus I can always use my PS3 if necessary, haha... my bad!