Author Topic: Would a Chrono Cross "demake" be possible now using MSU-1 and other chips?  (Read 2387 times)

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Hello. Long time no see!

I'm in a vibe to watch videos about retrogaming and i stumble across several nice quality homebrews for Super Nintendo and Genesis, and in a talk in quertymodo server on Discord i was told MSU-1 can load additional data (not only music/FMV) to the game (and the MSU-1 support can be checked as well). Also i discovered some devs started to add enhancement chip support for games who doesnt have it by default, like Super Mario World using SA-1 (relevant links: Reddit, Github 1, Github 2, Github 3).

Once i read on these forums a "demake" of Chrono Cross could only be done in FF6 due to simpler combat style and chibi graphics, and maybe to the ROM space issues.

But with MSU-1 around and further knowledge about the other enhancement chips of SNES, i was thinking if now, considering only technical points and not SE nibbing fans feets, it would be truly feasible to make a hack for CT, using MSU-1 and other chips if necessary, to make finally a Cross demake for CT engine.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Would a Chrono Cross "demake" be possible now using MSU-1 and other chips?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 02:35:34 am »
The big limitations to CC in CT haven't changed. The SNES can only display 8 palettes at a time, and CT characters all use different ones. FF6 has multiple PCs sharing a palette, so they can get more on screen at a time.

CT has data structures to handle up to 8 PCs. Since FF6 has way more than that, it would be easier to cram more characters in.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 11:30:49 am »
Those limitations can't be dodged using enhancment chips (like SA-1, SuperFX, Cx4 or DSP)? Well, SNES even had pseudo-3D (Star Fox and Yoshi Story) thanks of its chips...

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 01:01:21 pm »
The palette one can't be worked around at all. Well.. maybe if there was some hardware that attached to the bottom port on the SNES and had its own video output. Nothing in the cart though.

The data structures don't need new hardware, just extensive recoding. At the moment there isn't a reason to look into it.