Author Topic: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress  (Read 13499 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2021, 11:47:36 pm »
The Woosley translation lives on!

dclem

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 01:36:26 am »
The Woosley translation lives on!

Indeed. Now for a quicks important announcement. The 'Chrono Vendian' is slowly revealing its true nature:

The Materium Crystarium (character growth system) is now Dream Rift. The growth system has a new appearance, has its bugs ruled out, Ayla has her single techs and there are more player-enhancing nodes.

Added Ayla's Iron Fist.
Since its not possible to auto-change Ayla's weapon equipment based her level, the Iron First will become available after the second Prehistory visit. The Bronze Fist will be available later as conditions are fulfilled. The Iron Fist inflicts Confuse status, and the Bronze Fist as its similar abilities.

Frozen Flame Etymology
Fragments of the Frozen Flame are now simply referred to as 'Fragments' (not Materium) and Spekkio grants the party magic at the End of Time.
The concept of fragments, magic and the Frozen Flame remain the same.

Overview
Generally, things are progressing smoothly as they come. I hope to present a preview (first look) once Guardia Forest and the surrounding locations are complete, up to 600 A.D. Truce Canyon. There are a lot of cutscenes.

So far everything is inline, with the only absence being true double and triple techs, something Limits are here to make up for the inability.

The most consuming task so far are new animations. While it's okay to use the default, I seek to take things further and breath new life into the animation for the cast, especially since it has  diverse of characters who move and function differently.

Slower? Very much.
Worth it? Absolutely.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 04:03:46 pm »
The Materium Crystarium (character growth system) is now Dream Rift. The growth system has a new appearance, has its bugs ruled out, Ayla has her single techs and there are more player-enhancing nodes.

As much as I enjoyed the Materium Crystium's name (it's fun to say out loud - I had to do it a few times when you first announced it), I actually think Dream Rift is a better fit. The Chrono series likes to play with dreams, whether they be actual dreams (ie Enhasa), the planet's dream (discussed in both Trigger and especially in Cross), group names (ie Radical Dreamers), or the goals that one sets in life (see just about every character in Trigger/Cross, ranging from Schala to Cyrus to Orlha). Great idea!

Overview
Generally, things are progressing smoothly as they come. I hope to present a preview (first look) once Guardia Forest and the surrounding locations are complete, up to 600 A.D. Truce Canyon. There are a lot of cutscenes.

Man, the scope of this project really has changed/grown, hasn't it? I remember when it was all going to be limited to a single era (the Vendian period) and was just going to be a what-if scenario after the party beats Magus. Now it's a fully fledged sequel with the whole crew returning, and recreations of multiple Chrono Trigger locations. I can't wait!

This made me wonder... FFXII didn't have an overworld. Are there plans to have one at all in this game, or will the large zones just be connected like in FFXII?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:05:52 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

dclem

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2021, 01:35:37 am »

As much as I enjoyed the Materium Crystium's name (it's fun to say out loud - I had to do it a few times when you first announced it), I actually think Dream Rift is a better fit. The Chrono series likes to play with dreams, whether they be actual dreams (ie Enhasa), the planet's dream (discussed in both Trigger and especially in Cross), group names (ie Radical Dreamers), or the goals that one sets in life (see just about every character in Trigger/Cross, ranging from Schala to Cyrus to Orlha). Great idea!

That is precisely it as well. Its more fitting, Its interpretations beckons to the heart of player characters, those influences and dreams give the strength to fight and defeat Lavos. And new presentation suits it better.  No more orange-grid like boards!
The exciting part of the Dream Rift is the inclusion of more diverse nodes for character growth. It's a big game, but even bigger for the side content, which CTR of course will have.

Man, the scope of this project really has changed/grown, hasn't it? I remember when it was all going to be limited to a single era (the Vendian period) and was just going to be a what-if scenario after the party beats Magus. Now it's a fully fledged sequel with the whole crew returning, and recreations of multiple Chrono Trigger locations. I can't wait!

Yes, definitely. Before it was very narrow and restricted, and I feared a lot of assets where not going to be to make a presentation because of that factor. Now with the lifted restriction and freedom across the game's wider assets, a lot is more possible.
When it comes to logic, FFXII's virtual machine scripts are quite cumbersome. But like most things, it becomes much more tolerable and easier with dedication. To my surprise, and what I typically do is clear the field scripts of a map's zone and compose a brand new logic that is specific to the Chrono and handles all the events and functions, mapjumps and enemy spawns.

An quick example:

Code: [Select]
// File size: 43232 Bytes
// Author:    t-hirose/teamzodiac
// Source:    naf_a01.src
// Date:      00/00 00:00
// Binary:    C:\ctr\sdk\logi\naf_a01.ebp_unc\section_000.bin

option authorName = "t-hirose/teamzodiac";
option fileName = "naf_a01.src";
option dataFile = "naf_a01.src.data";
option spawnOrder = {-1, 2, 1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1};
option positionFlags = 0;
option unknownFlags1 = 65535;
option unknownScale = {100, 0, 0};
option unknownPosition2d = {0, 0};

//======================================================================
//                Global and scratchpad variable imports               
//======================================================================
import global   short   シナリオフラグ = 0x0;
import global   u_char  g_com_e3_flag = 0xa02;
import global   u_char  g_btl_ナルビナレモラ = 0xa41;
import global   float   mp_map_set_angle = 0x900;
import global   char    mp_last_weather = 0x940;
import global   u_char  EV_ナルビナ上層マップ進行 = 0x221;
import global   u_char  global_var_6 = 0x9dd;
import scratch1 short   scratch1_var_11 = 0x0;
import scratch1 u_char  scratch1_var_12 = 0xc4;
import global   u_short g_menu_telepo_dest[31] = 0xbf2;
import global   u_char  g_btlnmパック = 0xa43;

script setup(0)
{

function init()
{
fadeout(2);
fadesync();
g_btlnmパック= 2;
return;
}

function battle()
{
btlAtelSetupActorStart();
btlAtelSetEntryStruct(0x3000024);
return;
}
}

script クロノエントリー(6)
{
    function init()
    {
        return;
    }

function Main(1)
    {
wait(100);
//SetGameScenarioFlag
シナリオフラグ = 6110; set story flag (safest point in the game)
moviestandby(48); // preload a movie fmv with id48
        maskopenfast(0); // set mask movieplay
        moviestandbysync(); // asynchronous
        movieplay(48); // execute movieplay id48
        fadein(fadesystemtime()); // fade movie
        movieplaysync(); asynchronous movieplay
        movieend(); terminate movieplay
addgill(400); //StarterGelt money game starts at
//addstoryflagespers
additem(49170, 1); old board tile node precautions
        additem(49171, 1); old board tile node precautions
        additem(49173, 1); old board tile node precautions
        additem(49175, 1); old board tile node precautions
        additem(49177, 1); old board tile node precautions
//addgambits
btlAtelGetAllTgtChips();
//jumptogamemapstart
mapjump(0x21b, 1, 0); move to next location
return;
}
}

This is a common script used at the start of the game, in between events before mapjump and end game sequences. It helps a lot to keep things organized, readable and fluid in the project.

This made me wonder... FFXII didn't have an overworld. Are there plans to have one at all in this game, or will the large zones just be connected like in FFXII?

There will be overworlds. Just like CT, there'll be no encounters on those overworlds and the BGM is retained. Since FFXII TZA allows up to three music tracks in one zone, overworld themes such as Peaceful Days and Memories of Green can be packed into one and played! The original version and the reorchestrated version can be chosen by the player at will anytime.

Here's brief layout of how Chrono is shaping within FFXII's world structure:

Code: [Select]
Name: 1000 A.D. | World Map // Hub 1 - Guardia Territory | FFXII Map: Dreadnought Leviathan/Brig No. 1 | EBP: rsn_y01.ebp / rsn5201 | BGM: 74
Zones:
•Guardia Forest/Forest Trail
•Leene Square
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Guardia Forest (1000 A.D.) // FFXII Map :: The Feywood/Walk of Rifts | EBP: mfr_a01.ebp / mfr0101 | BGM: 89
Zones:
•Guardia Castle (1000 A.D.)
•World Map (Hub 1)

Foes:
•Mu - Roundillo
•Tartarus & Cerberus - Scarab
•Crypt Bunny - Roundillo Rider
•Deadly Nightshade - Green Imp
•Holy Elemental - Avian Chaos
•Golem - Blue Eaglet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Lenne Square // FFXII Map: Port Balfonheim/Sea Breeze Lane | EBP: var_a01.ebp / var0101 mapjump(0x337, 1, 0); | BGM: 99
Zones:
•World Map (Hub 2)
•Tent of Horrors
Name: Truce Canyon // FFXII Map :: Zertinan Caverns/Invitation to Heresy | EBP: ztc_a01.ebp / ztc0101 | BGM: 49 - Ambience
Zones:
•World Map (Hub 1)
•World Map (Hub 2)

Foes:
•Slime - Roundillo
•Speartongue - Fiendillo
Name: 600 A.D. | World Map // Hub 2 - Guardia Territory | FFXII Map: Banks of the Sogoht | EBP: glf_a01.ebp / glf0101 | BGM: 58
Zones:
•Guardia Forest (600 A.D.)
•Manolia Cathedral
•Zenan Bridge
Name: Guardia Forest (600 A.D.) // FFXII Map: Feywood/Walk of Stolen Truths | EBP: mfr_a02.ebp / mfr0102 | BGM: 89
Zones:
•Guardia Castle (600 A.D.)
•World Map (Hub 2)

Foes:
•Mu - Roundillo
•Tartarus & Cerberus - Scarab
•Crypt Bunny - Roundillo Rider
•Deadly Nightshade - Green Imp
•Holy Elemental - Avian Chaos
•Golem - Blue Eaglet
•Mirrorknight - Amanita
Name: Guardia Castle (600 A.D.) // FFXII Map: Royal Palace of Rabanastre/Cellars | EBP: rrp_a02.ebp / rrp0102 | BGM: 19 (TRIGGER)
Zones:
•Guardia Forest (600 A.D.)
Name: Manolia Cathedral // FFXII Map: Socehn Cave Palace/Mirror of the Soul | EBP: rui_a02.ebp / rui0106 | BGM: 92
Zones:
•World Map (Hub 2)

Foes:
•Imp - Naga-Ette
•Zombie Knight - Mad Bat
•Striker - Viper
•Gorgimera - Underling (Blue)
•Focalor - Diablo
Name: Manolia Cathedral (BOSS) // FFXII Map: Socehn Cave Palace/Hall of Shadowlight | EBP: rui_c01.ebp / rui0103
mapjumps:
•Guardia Castle (600 A.D.) ev_t (Event) | ev_movie

Foes:
•BOSS - Ahriman (GilSnapper_plcholder) - Yakra
Return-Route World Hub 1 (1000 A.D.)
Name: Guardia Castle (1000 A.D.) // FFXII Map: Royal Palace of Rabanastre/Cellars | EBP: rrp_a02.ebp / rrp0102 | BGM: 19 (TRIGGER)
PlayMovie:
•Court Guardia Castle Trial | ev_movie
mapjumps:
•Prison Tower
Name: Guardia Prison Towers // FFXII Map: Draklor Laboratory/68th Floor | EBP: dor_e01.ebp / dor0103 | BGM: Ambience

Foes:
•Imperial Hoplite - Decedent
•Imperial Swordsman - Guard
•Imperial Pilot - Omnicrone
•BOSS - Judge - Dragon Tank
PlayMovie:
•Guardia Castle (1000 A.D.) | ev_movie
•Guardia Forest (1000 A.D.) | ev_movie
•Bangor Dome (2300 A.D.) | ev_movie
Name: 2300 A.D. | World Map // Hub 3 - Badlands | FFXII Map: Banks of the Sogoht | EBP: glf_a01.ebp / glf0101 | BGM: 58
Zones:
•Trann Dome
•Site 16

Correct FFXII has no overworld. There is a lot of mapjumping from place to place based on factors such as complexity and structs. So to translate, there are separate maps reserved specifically for the World map in each individual area. They pose as hubs for those areas, as the player zones from one location to the next. The above breaks this down into a more readable format.
Yes, there will be actual CT enemies here too, not old FFXII enemies.

Like before, in these maps, I typically clear the default scripts and create a new script in its place where I can keep track of events and bits that occur as the game goes on. Ensuring previous event bits don't overlap current ones, or repeat whenever the hub is revisited at a later date.

Poor Robo, however, he is the only one restricted to the 'guest' slot, which means his abilities are limited, but I'm finding ways to keep his single techs intact as much as possible. Lately I've really been pushing FFXII's engine to its limits. My plans for custom animations, magic etc. are examples of those limits pushed. One of the bigger changes is the use of custom materials for assets, when original, it was restricted to using the same assets as before. Where there would be characters or locations using lots of textures, more than the default amount in FFXII's original maps, so when there's a need for more than the game knows of, it must be expanded to accept those extras assets, like expanding the SNES rom.

The pace of the project's true identity is very slow, because the game is long, I prefer it go at the slower pace, to ensure it flows as fluid as its original.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:56:33 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:24 pm »
Major reveal updates coming very soon.
One being Robo now a fully playable member now, making all seven characters fully playable.

Every single character has their techs! A milestone due to past limitations with the techs. It was tedious and time consuming as much as the next, but when I say it was worth it I mean it.

This is the same with other gameplay aspects such as equipment.

Everything is going according to plan and is operating very smoothly. The characters are moulding out perfectly, the transitions between maps are solid. This is a very sturdy progression I am pleased to see.  8)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2021, 06:02:07 pm »
AWESOME! Can't wait to see/hear more!

dclem

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2021, 12:58:30 am »
I have a Crono and Marle reveal coming by the end of the week, stay tuned.
There are about 34 total playable characters and NPCs; next in line are, Lucca, Queen Zeal and Schala. There are two versions, a CG version and an in-game model (game ready asset); incase anyone knows the quality of FF7R, should be quite familiar in terms of Level of Detail. Crono and Marle have been baking for the past three weeks, they are near ready.

Now for some, not-so-pleasant news.

In regards to the project's progress, namely, the engine's side it has now hit a rock in the road.
Members on the programming side leave to go on with other projects. A burn out of interest and usually occurs after so long.
Currently there are only two members on the team, one artist, and myself; atlas one of my best artist, I am grateful. The project's elements have been weighing very heavily me since I find myself not only working on fields much than logic scripts.

Call it an almost existential crisis approaching, but maybe its just the fear of progression reveal not being up to par with the audience whom sees it.

To try and alleviate some of the pressure, I've seek new team member for the code engine side of assets, however, since the project uses a very heavily modified FFXII engine, I could not simple add any programmer to the team, but a reverse engineer, and the difference bares in terms of the amount of incentive to scams.
Typically, there would be a upfront payment and when I'm not finding any other potential members, it's something that must be done. But atlas, the moment that happens, the next is when realize it's another scam added to the list.
This is very taxing on project at large since most demand prices from 500 to 1000 upfront to get started, when that much is lost, its hard to recover in situations like this, results lost in the project's budget. An amount that lost could have served better for project's assets elsewhere.

I also don't think I should call it Chrono Vendian any longer, since, its really not that and is something else, However, I don't intend it to end up like Resurrection too early too soon should it gain to much traction.

I'll admit, I'm overworked. However, that same overwork is what keeps me alive, if make sense.

I apologize if this put a damper on the air.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:14:23 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »
~Last Update~
Techs are obtained similar to the original.

• On the Dream Rift, each character has their respective techs to obtain throughout its course.
  • Magic only becomes usable when Spekkio is first encountered.
  • Non-magic techs are usable when Tech points (TP) is earned.

Due to the 255 TP limit, techs that are more than 255, will have Occlude Nodes just before them to equal the amount of their total cost.

dclem

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 09:20:07 pm »
This shouldn't come as a surprise, but the project has hit a dead end.
In other words, it's canceled.