Author Topic: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress  (Read 13497 times)

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 06:12:39 am »
I am glad you liked the idea, I studied in the field of quantum physics a lot so I guess we can set stuff up for time travel mechanics to be realistic if you would like.

dclem

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 04:25:22 am »
I am glad you liked the idea, I studied in the field of quantum physics a lot so I guess we can set stuff up for time travel mechanics to be realistic if you would like.

With the main scenario complete, now's the time for extra side content.

dclem

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 04:46:18 am »
Update ~03/18/2021~
~87% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.

~Scenario changes~
This was mentioned previously, however as it is redundant, there are additions
As mentioned previously with the maps in the last update, the scenario has changed dramatically for the first-world era (i.e. where the game begins).

•The player will stranded and will need find nearest land.
•The player will embark on a long journey to get to the key location nearest to the next section.
•Despite the open-world, if the player ventures off the path too far for their ability, it might not end well.
•Prepare to enter the next section on arrival & events, which is the point of no return and the longest section.
•Party begins with three allies: Crono, Lucca and Marle. However, other party members can be found by exploring the open world so as long as the point of no return isn't crossed.
•New locations can also be accessed be side content in Chrono Vendian. This will also link back to the first-world era, so there are no accidental point of no return entries.

Visual Update for March is on the horizon. I'll refrain from revealing small tidbits of environments & PC models of the greater update but I will list the remaining key updates:

•Through the tribulation, more player characters have been added. In particular one who will control differently than the rest.
•Scythes are an official weapon discipline in game. Its objects are completed. It utilizes the user's magic power into the damage calculation formulae.
•ATB 3.0 sees major update & some reversions.

•Gambit targets make a return, however in contrast of ATB 3.0—the functions are inversed, a result of the following changes (mentioned below):

*Party formation (in beta) subject to change
ATB OFF : Activates Gambit Target, disabled Auto-Battle (PC's do not repeat commands after the first action, and also re-enabled PC auto-movement towards target (if within a certain distance from said target)

*Party formation (in beta) subject to change
ATB ON: Deactivates Gambit Target, enables auto-battle, and disables PC auto-movement toward target of a given distance.

This reversion came to those who prefer, so it is optional.

•Internal changes to gameplay including real time simulation (not in the façade of command charge time zero) however, at the cost of some lost functionalities of other abilities (i.e. Summons).

It's a tribulating factor, which going through rigorous debugging, how far it can go without breaking too much of game's flow of operations.
The battle menu is rearranged to have less sub-menus and lists, and one option for single-inputs to the player character's immediate action.

•Original ATB 3.0 subtraction of automated gambits will remain an option.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:48:01 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 10:23:57 am »
This is so awesome. I love how you've tweaked the gambit system, and seeing the original spells is just... *chefs kiss*

Also... I see what characters you have hidden there. :D

dclem

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 12:33:01 am »
The original route headed for removing the gambits required much more to have the gameplay feel fluid, rather cumbersome (especially over a period of time, and natural grinding). dig deeper, but also having more options is always a plus, so despite the extra it was decided to keep all types of gameplay.

The gambit functionality is in fact inversed and the PC's responsive movement is affected too because of the initial changes, the resulting outcome.

This is so awesome. I love how you've tweaked the gambit system, and seeing the original spells is just... *chefs kiss*

Also... I see what characters you have hidden there. :D

On that—he controls are in fact different than the rest. Since the sfx attachment is on this specific slot, the weapons too will have the effects attached. It makes sense given the sprint animation in Chrono Trigger is different than the rest.

dclem

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 04:08:40 am »
Update ~05/31/2021~
~STASIS

This is an official update of the state of Chrono Vendian. The project is not dead or dying but is otherwise in stasis. As most of my projects varying in time, none ever go dead, rather they become completed and declared closed with no further updates, they are improved, if old and dated, or are put into temporary stasis; this is currently where Chrono Vendian remains until further notice.

CV's source is retained when the project's cogs are ready to be turned again.

For the project's stasis was the time needed to work on the assets and structure of maps in the game, and the structure of the scripting to provide more (in game) content to flourish, with some major fixes to the 3d model structure, design, material and shader aspects, all of which have seen a significate progression, I am pleased to say.

With a significantly higher budgets I am excited to announce more can be done in terms of graphical assets and event sequences (FMVs). The higher budget, the more character, map remakes in honor of the original.

Second was the re-working of the game's battle system into something entirely new, fresh and actually tangible from the previously announced ATB 3.0, which is now derelict. Completely scraping the ATB 3.0 concept has a whole for a more, thoroughly and thought out mechanic.

While it's still a bit too early to spoil too much for Chrono Vendian in particular, I will say that it will utilize two new battle systems, Action-Esque Mechanic and Action Time Battle, two core mechanics working intertwined each other to completely present a whole new feel and flow to, what was FF12, no longer.

In short, these are the key points:

• There are no Gambits
  • There is no training the game via Gambits to play itself, and feel very automated.
  • There is no license board, or job system (this allows to flesh out each CT character to their unique abilities from the original, without having the mechanics of FF12 get in the way of it).
  • The game loses any resemblance to an MMO, and presents a very action-orientated style of gameplay, reminiscence of the FF7 Remake.
  • More canon characters are playable including Ayla and Frog. There are not optional add-ons, but are main PC as originally where.
  • Heavy scenario changes to honor these significant updates.
  • Ayla retains her original weapon of choice, her Fists, and also retains her signature Bronze Fist.
    She has her original techs, along with Limit Breaks for her high-tier tech skills.
  • Frog retains his original weapon of choice, swords, now more versatile, using single and 2-handed greatswords for extra power.
  • Frog has his original techs, along with Limit Breaks for his high-tier tech skills.

Whilst double and triple tech compatible may be the only aspect of Chrono trigger that couldn't be fully replicated, it will be without a doubt be presented as closely as possible, without omitting these techs. Even as some Double/triple techs have become Limit Breaks, it is much better than removing it completely.

The the compatible of magic editing, breathing fresh air into these abilities solely for Chrono Vendian is a plus, something I envisioned, instead of re-using the same old common magic in vanilla FF12.

*This is the update for the status of Chrono Vendian going forward.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 11:56:43 pm »
For the project's stasis was the time needed to work on the assets and structure of maps in the game, and the structure of the scripting to provide more (in game) content to flourish ...

Do you have dedicated resource(s) working on these assets and the 3D level maps?

While it's still a bit too early to spoil too much for Chrono Vendian in particular, I will say that it will utilize two new battle systems, Action-Esque Mechanic and Action Time Battle, two core mechanics working intertwined each other to completely present a whole new feel and flow to, what was FF12, no longer.

These sound really interesting. ATB3.0 sounded awesome, but these sound cool, too. I'm definitely curious and patiently await until more can be shared/showed!

More canon characters are playable including Ayla and Frog. There are not optional add-ons, but are main PC as originally where.

Not gonna lie, this probably excites me more than anything. Is Robo the only Chrono Trigger PC not making the party this time around?

dclem

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 02:49:58 am »

Do you have dedicated resource(s) working on these assets and the 3D level maps?

I have one. I seek to get at least three for now for maps and at least two for character designers.

However, there is quite high standard for the quality of the assets being created. In terms of style and execution, creating realistic renditions whilst remaining faithful to original art style.

These sound really interesting. ATB3.0 sounded awesome, but these sound cool, too. I'm definitely curious and patiently await until more can be shared/showed!

ATB 3.0 was an interesting concept at glance, however it wasn't as tangible as AEM is now, which made it become derelict very fast.

Not gonna lie, this probably excites me more than anything. Is Robo the only Chrono Trigger PC not making the party this time around?

I have Robo on the reserve, however he would occupy one of the guest character slots, since the six main player character slots have been filled with:

• Crono
  • Marle
  • Lucca
  • Ayla
  • Magus
  • Frog

I also must point out that Ayla and Frog are the PC with the most focus, purely due to their animation, as I seek to keep their original movement animations as the original; something that is especially critical for Frog. While he has the features of a bipedal and walks as one, animations such as running and attacking are of amphibian, this is an animation aspect that simply cannot be overlooked. Thankfully, animation is also a field that can be modified, so that area is clear.

The Battle System
The thought for the battle system was created when I was on break and working on another side project, whilst looking at my past projects; one in particular from 2017. I was thoroughly impressed my own self when I saw just how I managed to implement an ATB system in an game that wasn't even an RPG or had RPG elements.
And of course, studying the foundation of FF7 remake system, which I was shocked to find out didn't even had a name. So, I figured, what would ATB stand for in the FF7 Remake? Since it's not turn based, I figured SE would dubbed ATB in that 'Action Time Battle', so I dubbed it that here.

For a detailed run down of the two battle systems introduced can be found here and here.

In par, there are two systems that both work with each other to complete the gameplay design. The best part about it is that it actually works and works well and is very reminisce of FF7 remake. There are only two minor features that are to be implemented:

• Slow-motion
  • Evading

Slow-motion
Slow motion makes the battle run in slow-mo while in 'Wait' mode just as in FF7R. Interesting, the Active Mode here brings about a new challenging to the system that FF7R does feature, which is having the battle go one unstoppable while you house commands, bringing this extra emphasis and adrenaline to battles.

Evading
This feature is bit of stretch, as (at least currently) the key button (on the controller per se) all all reserved with other functions such as the AEM, menu cycling, and other key functions, so controlling the player's evade for blocking incoming enemy attacks is bit more complex to work in, but, for now, the original auto-evading works well with everything else. In short, evading is the only action the player doesn't have to control, everything else, is.
Even the summons behave the same here as in FF7R. However, since it's not Chrono Trigger esque, they too are removed, but the optional bosses as reminiscent of them are still encounterable.  :kz :kz

Just as in FF7R, the ability switch characters and issue commands to allies align the gameplay functionality so much that feels new, fresh, unique, intense and finally, engaging.

I do plan on adding variety to the way A.I. allies are handled and controlled by you the player.

For instance, I will have Marle or Magus (magic users) use their magic whilst a.i. controlled (if you're controlling as Crono) and when you using Marle/Magus as the leader, they're action execution patterns change from (Crono) making their actions be e.g., ranged magic attacks, whilst Crono's actions are physical.

To simplify:

• Player controls as Crono.
  • Crono's action key execution is physical attacking.
  • Player controls as Marle
  • Marle's action key execution is magic attacking/ranged.
  • *Marle can be controlled and action executed from afar, whilst Crono, now a.i. controlled, is close-ranged, physical attacker.
  • Player controls as Lucca
  • Lucca's action key execution is ranged physical.

I plan this to be the standard, as currently, as of now, any ally you control, their action execution will always be attacking.
With the above, it would add variety and diversity to whom you control in battle and as a.i. controlled.

*This is the update for the status of Chrono Vendian going forward.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:00:23 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 08:23:18 am »
I am currently preparing the first battle trailer for Chrono Vendian. Despite what I said before, I cannot hold it entirely in. The passion driven from the battle system is thriving, thus allowing the project to flourish as well.

What this trailer will present:

• A few battles, and one boss
  • Showcase the new battle system in its element
  • Preview the new, yet familiar Chrono locations
  • Get a glance of the party formation and the character models who follow.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:24:06 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:17 am »
I am currently preparing the first battle trailer for Chrono Vendian. Despite what I said before, I cannot hold it entirely in. The passion driven from the battle system is thriving, thus allowing the project to flourish as well.

There's a lot of excitement here, too! If you post it to r/chronotrigger on Reddit, let me know and I can sticky it. I am a mod over there (u/ghost_from_tomorrow).

dclem

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2021, 06:39:18 am »

There's a lot of excitement here, too! If you post it to r/chronotrigger on Reddit, let me know and I can sticky it. I am a mod over there (u/ghost_from_tomorrow).

Definitely, I will know accordingly.

dclem

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »
small, but important update. I won't be able to release the trailer as planned. I haven't been feeling too well, actually battling a lot of despair of late.
I will post an update, at best (of some sort) if I survive which is quite unlikely, fortunately.

I'd like to take a moment to thank all who supported and backed the project since its initial announcement. You have my utmost gratitude.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 04:40:33 pm »
small, but important update. I won't be able to release the trailer as planned. I haven't been feeling too well, actually battling a lot of despair of late.

Please don't give up hope! Your mental and physical health are more important than any hobby project!!!

If you ever need need someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to me here. You can message me and I can give you additional channels to contact me at.

Stay strong. We are here for you if you need us!

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 05:01:10 pm »

Please don't give up hope! Your mental and physical health are more important than any hobby project!!!

If you ever need need someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to me here. You can message me and I can give you additional channels to contact me at.

Stay strong. We are here for you if you need us!

seconded.

dclem

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 11:00:43 am »
thank you everyone.
I think I'll be ok for some coming weeks. I can pick up where I left on, working on Marle.
I'll try my best to keep a stable update scheudle.
Thank you everyone—my sincerest gratitude top you all.