Author Topic: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress  (Read 13512 times)

dclem

Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress
« on: January 29, 2021, 04:31:13 pm »
Chrono Vendian can be downloaded here upon release.

This will be the thread where general updates to progress will be posted. Both this and original thread will be updated as such as they come.

Update: ~01/29/2021~
~75% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.

~Visuals~
Crono, Lucca and Marle 3D models are still being worked on. There have been a lot of tribulations and conflicts between style and art direction. With these character remakes to be and remain faithful to the original design to present an accurate, HD realistic rendition. Once completed, first round of screens will come.

~Maps~
New maps are expected to be merged into one single zone, as zones are currently limited at this point. This is and the general scripting and logic are the real time consumers and can expected quite more months before completion.
There are a variation of set maps (combination of smaller maps from Chrono Trigger) , and instead of them being randomized, there're fixed, so entering will always be the same.

Once the first set map is done, screens will be posted.

(rendering disabled to prevent spoilers)

•There a few placeholder models for normal encounters and NPCs including Dalton and the antagonist's :kz dual forms. These are in queue after Crono/Marle/Lucca.

•FMVs are expected to be included to. As of now two are planned, one for the intro and one for the final cutscene. Going this route is easier when hitting limits and avoiding cutting content end game, especially that of cutscenes that were originally in game, but are now executed as FMV.

•There are voices, playable characters are newly voiced, with the exception of Crono. While he has interactive cutscenes in game, he is not voiced in battle or in FMVs.

~Gameplay & Tech Grid~
Tech Grid is utilized in both game modes. By default, the Tech Grid(s) consist of only varying Stat, Strength, Magic, and Special nodes servering as extra stat boosts, with general character development retained via Level Up & experience (EXP).

Characters are predefined with their own abilities, allowing the player to simply buy and/or find new techs/abilities and have it readily available at their disposal.

This is same for weapons:
  • Crono uses Katanas.
  • Marle uses Bowguns/Bows.
  • Lucca uses Guns, a hammer and Hand-Bombs.

Second Tech Grid mode, character stats and HP do not grow with each level up. Instead, their entire growth is situated on the Tech Grid. The tech Grid is one large field divided into three main quadrants, where each character begins are situated there based on their strengths in battle:
  • Crono is situated at the north quadrant of the grid, where strength nodes lie, excelling him in physical-based combat.
  • Marle is situated at the Southwest quadrant of the Tech Grid, where magic and defense magics nodes lie, excelling her in magic-based/defensive combat.
  • Lucca is situated at the Southeast quadrant of the Tech Grid, where offense magic nodes lie, excelling her in offense-magic based combat.
  • Crono's quadrant connects to the Northeast quadrant, where HP and Celerity nodes mostly lie, excelling Crono in HP and speed.
Stats that still grow with Level Ups are:
  • MP
  • Vitality
  • Speed
Character's will always have their own techs in both game modes.
i.e. Characters already have access to Equipment/Techs/Armor etc. There are no Licenses anymore.

For Techs:
  • Crono gains only lighting-based magic.
  • Marle gains only Ice-based magic.
  • Lucca gains only Fire-based magic.

Advance Techs (currently) compensate for Double and Triple-techs from the original as we work with out the bugs of a new mechanic more suitable. Special techs can have a double or triple tech executed as a cinematic ability or a normal ability with special features, such as Megaton Bomb executing a special effect when Lucca fires her weapon, or throws a hand-bomb. i.e. Lucca can either fire a Megaton Bomb or throw it via a hand bomb; the spell animation changes based on Lucca's current equipment.

~635000000 Era (Main Hub)~
Exploration is key, as the encounters going forward in story expect your party to have gained significant experience. The open world has much new events and tribulations so they feel fresh and rejuvenated. Some locations are more dangerous than others, simply being being there, and the party will frequently engage with this locations. They are about half the load of the events going forward; exploration is key to not only gaining experiencing, finding equipment but also with the lore going forward.

•The world is big, the era the game begins at is massive in itself, and the latter eras within the story going forward are too, large, with many new actions and logic. Approximatively 15+ hours exploring without tribulations, and many new and cameo foes appear.

Are there side quests? Yes, however they've been changed.

Achievements (in game) are different, Bestiary entries are different and the Celestial Tower are different.

Almost all can be be done with the game, and with that the game is very huge with a lot of different formats, binaries and sections. For a game of this extent, it's unique how it managed to become modifiable. As complicated as it's scripts and binaries, it still a lot better than and massive time saver from starting from scratch—which is why coming up with unique methods for gameplay and logic is key in the project as to make it not feel like original game, but rather a engine that powers Chrono Vendian.

~Further Update Notes~
•The main game will be heavily modified to be able to run right out of the box.

•The two game modes for the Tech Grid will need to be installed separately as of now.

•All abilities have been revamped to classic Chrono Tech abilities. With characters retaining their original techs from Chrono Trigger.

•All abilities/items and the like follow closely to that of the (DS) translation of Chrono Trigger. Subtracting the use of tier-magic suffixes (ra/ga/ja).

We're currently looking to remove the use of gambit targets (done); reverse such targets for A.I (done), controlled allies, halting specific actions between the caster (player character) and enemy via A.I. and lessen the general automated feel of gambit target usage from the original. It's a massive task and we're testing the waters to see how far we can get with method in keeping the gameplay fluid and balanced; changing every aspect of the game to present a new yet similar feel.

•There is an bug that (expectedly) arose when attempting to force an action-in-queue command to wait until one another action of the party ally is charged before executing the ability. This is to make abilities such as Cure Wind, Double Cure, Delta Force and Antipode Bomb require more than one party ally to execute the ability (i.e. Dual/Triple tech). Currently, this has not been fully implemented and the initial caster will soft-lock in a loop of the casting animation. close, but no cigar. :|
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 12:52:50 am by dclem »

dclem

Re: Chrono Vendian Updates & Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:17:49 am »
Update ~01/30/2021~
~77% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.
-Gameplay updates-

~Gameplay~
With the removal of the gambit targets, players are now to execute commands traditionally, be it Techs/item usage, etc. PC A.I. have been set to enter auto attack mode only when an action is firstly executed.
This is only valid for regular attack commands. This is to reduce the tediousness of having to execute the Attack command for minor foe encounters while maneuvering the player character about the map.

Here's a brief test example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3a2FIMkrHE

(using temp. placeholder models for demonstration purposes)

•The ATB option (ON/OFF) only affects the use of auto-attack. With it off, your player characters will not auto-attack after their first execution, and will need to have the attack command executed for each turn.

•With this revamped system, it turns the once automated feel of FFXII's gambit system into a more natural Turn-based feel; i.e. allowing the player to be more interactive with each fight rather the latter completely automated via gambit setups.

•The ATB menu is kept in player menu to also toggle function ON/OFF, however as mentioned before, this setting only affects the 'Attack' Command. Turning it ON allows a pseudo 'Auto-Battle' mode, similar to the function in the PC releases of Chrono Trigger, where auto-battle effects only the attack command all party allies.

•This system is dubbed ATB 3.0 and Gambits are now classified as 'Auto-Battle', effectively Attacks only respectively.

•This is huge leap in gameplay overhaul for Chrono Vendian as gambit targets and License/Jobs where the main barriers that would prevent the theme of the gameplay design from reaching full potential becoming less and less FFXII-esque and more different and unique, classical battles inspired.

•In addition to this, many actions/tech and abilities will utilize the Effect Capacity, which originally was a system in FFXII on PS2 that prevented multiple actions/spells being executed at once. It was removed in this remastered version, and will now return to aid in the ATB 3.0 system of Chrono Vendian, offering a turn based feel as executed actions will have to wait their turn before being executed.

•Locations of the Vendian Era (that is 635000000 B.C.) were initially merged in old Ivalice locations of the original game. They replaced FFXII's 'The Feywood' map, where the game would start at initially. These Vendian locations are new and have been moved elsewhere to explore. Space now used in FFXII's original maps, hence the now limited to six (6) zones as of late. The start location remains the same, and is just before the new ones (safety measure).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:47:51 am by dclem »

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
Can I join the project?  :lol:

dclem

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 03:21:40 am »
Can I join the project?  :lol:

As we love more members on the team, concepts, design and programming (base) have been completed, with the main areas left being art assets and improving gameplay mechanics to feel less as FFXII's automated gambits, and more interactive real-time turn based akin.
Nevertheless the door is always open! What do you have in mind for Chrono Vendian? An open door allows critique, improvements and overall better experience going forward.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:22 pm »
Just watched the video -- it looks amazing! WOW WOW WOW! The Chrono Compendium is definitely doing to support this project as much as we can; please make sure you continue to communicate both progress and any needs we can do to assist with marketing, etc.

I am loving the look and feel of combat. I enjoyed FFXII, so there's obviously a lot of continuity with combat there, but I can definitely tell the AI and general battle flow is scripted differently to appear more turn-based.

In addition to the new menu design, I did notice the 'Murk' option in addition to abilities. Just curious, what is that?! Sounds fascinating!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:57:44 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 03:57:57 am »
Just watched the video -- it looks amazing! WOW WOW WOW! The Chrono Compendium is definitely doing to support this project as much as we can; please make sure you continue to communicate both progress and any needs we can do to assist with marketing, etc.

I am loving the look and feel of combat. I enjoyed FFXII, so there's obviously a lot of continuity with combat there, but I can definitely tell the AI and general battle flow is scripted differently to appear more turn-based.

In addition to the new menu design, I did notice the 'Murk' option in addition to abilities. Just curious, what is that?! Sounds fascinating!

Definitely. I expect after February to reach a percentage goal of at least 85%, as 3D models, foes and maps are completed, and finishing touches being events scripts. That is goal for next month. Baring release date thereafter assisted marketed will be inline. Thank you @Boo the Gentleman Caller!

Murk is the limit-break system. It has also been revamped. Originally in FFXII, performing a single Quickening could either do zero (0) or very little damage (200 - 5000 damage range/stats dependent) It did not fit the visuals, concept and term of limit-break, with animations seemingly breaking reality and such, only to result in little damage.

These should inflict more damage than regular abilities could inflict, so, the formula has been changed and now Limit breaks always break the damage limit, no matter what. Which also means, if you incur a high Limit chain, the resulting damage will be massive. All Limit animations have also been changed, being unique to each character, their element and magic-affinity. Not to worry balance-wise, FFXII's engine has the capacity to allow foes (in these cases, bosses) to have up to 95 million HP.

To name a Few:

Crono
Cyclone
Blitz Frenzy
Lightning Luminary

Marle
Ice Twister
Antipode Bomb II
Icefall

Lucca
Phlegethon
Flare Tornado
Antipode Bomb III

EDIT: I accidentally selected Modify post of your post, @Boo the Gentleman Caller, when I meant to select 'Quote'.  :oops:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:07:47 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:58:57 pm »
**Insert drooling here**

I was and continue be a HUGE fan of FFXII, so this is all sounding better and better to me!

Although I think your assessment of the Quickening system is spot on. The Quickenings were difficult to earn on the License Board and were, at least visually, very grandiose (and, as you said, seemingly reality-breaking)... with damage being all over the place.

I love your new implementation of the Murk system! Any reason 'Murk' was the name chosen for these awesome attacks? I'm not familiar with the word.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:58:53 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 06:58:59 am »
**Insert drooling here**

I was and continue be a HUGE fan of FFXII, so this is all sounding better and better to me!

Although I think your assessment of the Quickening system is spot on. The Quickenings were difficult to earn on the License Board and were, at least visually, very grandiose (and, as you said, seemingly reality-breaking)... with damage being all over the place.

I love your new implementation of the Murk system! Any reason 'Murk' was the name chosen for these awesome attacks? I'm not familiar with the word.

Yes, Limits are much easier to obtain now, and are the only abilities that need to be obtained via the Tech Grid.

Murk is an alternative word for 'Mist', and meaning dark or gloomy allusion to a specific character.

*If I can get around solving the current loop-locking bug with action-in-queue commands, we may have just cracked dual tech capabilities.

To refresh on Dual-Tech Mechanic:

•Player character selects a specific command (e.g. Antipode)
•Character charges up ands waits for the next character to take that same action(Antipode) •Once both have taken action, the agility is executed

Currently, the action will loop forever when both parties have selected the action, not executing the ability. This is where this mechanic is currently stands.

EDIT: Whoops, did it again. :oops:

dclem

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 05:48:53 am »
Update ~02/3/2021~
~79% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.

~Scenario changes~
As mentioned previously with the maps in the last update, the scenario has changed dramatically for the first-world era (i.e. where the game begins).

•The player will stranded and will need find nearest land.
•The player will embark on a long journey to get to the key location nearest to the next section.
•Despite the open-world, if the player ventures off the path too far for their ability, it might not end well.
•Prepare to enter the next section on arrival+events, which is the point of no return and the longest section.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:51:12 am by dclem »

brifye19

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • The black wind howls again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 12:22:10 am »
Update ~02/3/2021~
~79% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.

~Scenario changes~
As mentioned previously with the maps in the last update, the scenario has changed dramatically for the first-world era (i.e. where the game begins).

•The player will stranded and will need find nearest land.
•The player will embark on a long journey to get to the key location nearest to the next section.
•Despite the open-world, if the player ventures off the path too far for their ability, it might not end well.
•Prepare to enter the next section on arrival+events, which is the point of no return and the longest section.

Hmm, this is interesting. I will be keeping an eye on this.

dclem

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:16 pm »
Update ~02/12/2021~
~84% Overall. Progress is calculated between the pace of the first-world era events/locations/scripts/actions etc. and the events ahead of it. Going forward after exploration marks the point of no return. With newly reserved space, it would not go to waste.

~Visuals~
One of the main characters that has gone through tribulations was Crono himself. For him it was especially strict on design and style in which would be the base. Initially we seek the rendition of Raf Grassetti as seen concept here:

However, due to unavailability another artist on the team, eWhitewolf as taken the mantle—creating most of the characters and NPCs, with the design style heavily inspired by that of Tetsuya Nomura.

Crono's progress under supervision:

This is ~25%. The game texture limit that will be used is 6K. Capability goes up to 16K/standard DX11 render texture, but for now limited to no higher than 6K textures, 4K textures for maps.
The remastered engine is already quite heavy averaging peak of ~8GB VRAM.
So far there are two variations of characters models, one for in game and one for FMV. We hope to ear the availability of Grassetti to have initial rendition for cutscenes, if it not it will be used this game model instead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:02:00 pm by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the update! I'm loving the Crono model!

dclem

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 03:06:07 pm »
This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the update! I'm loving the Crono model!

eWhitewolf is doing an amazing job in retaining the design and rendition. Very open communication.
Before topology and before textures. Now entering topo, at the end, will bring updates Crono as well as to Marle and Lucca.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:09:29 pm by dclem »

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 09:26:51 am »
Wow you guys worked so fast on it.
TBH
I was working with SE after the C&D letter we got from CE to revive Chrono Break. But they told me the story I wrote for it was too mature. And now the make FFXVI that's like so dark.
It kinda bugs me. So I ended up quitting.
I am just good at writing stories. If you need any help with the plot and time travel mechanics if you wanna change anything just say it. I am no longer affiliated with any game company. I just wanna write stories.
I figured something out that Serge was Crono and Magus at the same time. Somehow their souls got thrown into another universe. While Lynx was Magus and Serge was Crono.
They were just reincarnations of them after aeons in an alternate timeline.
Especially how Magus was sent after Chrono Trigger DS. I am pretty sure he was sent to Cross dimension as Lynx. I am not sure if anyone had a theory like that in here.

dclem

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 01:03:48 pm »
Wow you guys worked so fast on it.
TBH
I was working with SE after the C&D letter we got from CE to revive Chrono Break. But they told me the story I wrote for it was too mature. And now the make FFXVI that's like so dark.
It kinda bugs me. So I ended up quitting.
I am just good at writing stories. If you need any help with the plot and time travel mechanics if you wanna change anything just say it. I am no longer affiliated with any game company. I just wanna write stories.
I figured something out that Serge was Crono and Magus at the same time. Somehow their souls got thrown into another universe. While Lynx was Magus and Serge was Crono.
They were just reincarnations of them after aeons in an alternate timeline.
Especially how Magus was sent after Chrono Trigger DS. I am pretty sure he was sent to Cross dimension as Lynx. I am not sure if anyone had a theory like that in here.

It is almost shorter than planned due to implementation and pacing of the game and having events execute as expected. CV is has been the testing ground for what's possible to which extent, and anything after that defines further capabilities as everything about the game is familiarized well.
If after things are set in stone; in terms of additional content for CV, which is typically a must to prevent much linearity, this could be arranged indeed.