Author Topic: One Sunny Day When We Met (PSX/DS Bonus Track) SPC  (Read 2139 times)

Reld

• Guru of Time
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
One Sunny Day When We Met (PSX/DS Bonus Track) SPC
« on: January 10, 2021, 11:27:08 pm »
I tried creating an SNES version of another official-but-not-in-the-SNES-version song. "One Sunny Day When We Met" is my favorite of the four PSX/DS bonus tracks, so that's what I went with.

I can't say for 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure it was made to sound like an SNES track, but without strictly observing the SNES's eight channel limit. I know the PSF version uses more than eight channels (I think it was using around fourteen, but I'd have to double-check), but due to the way the channels are managed it's hard to say for sure if more than eight are ever playing at once. I would asssume so, because I think the way it works is that the channels are dynamically assigned as needed, so there wouldn't be more than eight used if they weren't all needed, but I really don't know much about the PSX sound hardware. At any rate, I had to do some channel juggling and corner cutting to get it all in there.

I didn't bother with an IPS patch this time, but I can make one if somebody wants it.

I don't know if I'll do more of these or not. If I do I'll probably rename this thread and keep them all in here so I don't spam the board up too much.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: One Sunny Day When We Met (PSX/DS Bonus Track) SPC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:58:36 pm »
Awesome work. I didn't realize the PSX tracks break the rules like that; I suppose that settles the matter of conceptually "native" SPC versions. This sounds wonderful.

Reld

• Guru of Time
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:23 pm »
Thanks, Z! Like I said, I'm not totally sure if the PSX songs break the SNES rules or not. I believe they do, but it's possible I just wasn't able to put the puzzle pieces together in the right way when trying to recreate it with only eight channels. I am like 99% sure that the PSX tracks aren't just SPCs though. For one thing the channels seem to be dynamically assigned on a per-note basis like I mentioned, whereas on the SNES each channel has its own track data (some of them share data actually, but that's more of a space saving trick). There's also the fact that some of the SNES songs seem to have been rewritten for the PSX version, with actual structural differences like changed notes/durations. I suspect they were recreated by hand for the PSX version's sound driver.

PowerPanda

• Guru of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you for this. I am including this SPC in a music expansion hack, which will be used by Chrono Trigger Plus. This is going to be the town theme for 1999 AD. I am also including your rendition of Frog's Theme, with the Intro. I have listed you in the credits for both for "Arrangement and Sequencing".

Reld

• Guru of Time
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:33:47 pm »
Cool! I'm glad somebody found a use for them. Thanks for letting me know! Now I'm curious to hear how the other tracks came out.