Author Topic: The Chrono Vendian Project  (Read 12387 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: The Chrono Vendian Project
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 04:18:26 pm »
•The Party is apprehended after confronting Queen Zeal/battling the Golem.
•Once the Prophet insists they to show how they came to be, and Schala seals portal shut.
•The trio is not sent back to Prehistory, instead the Vendian period (~635000000 B.C.).
•They still question why the prophet let them go however, the gate that sent them to this era has dissipate.
•Timelines are ran in parallel.

Nice! So this isn't a full sequel to Chrono Trigger, rather an alternate timeline (a la Radical Dreamers) branching off the banishment from Zeal. I like it! Sounds interesting!

I will avoid asking any further questions regarding the plot, although I definitely have many... but only due to excitement! :D

I continue to be very impressed by this project and can't wait to see how in continues to advance. This is shaping up better and better every time you post!

dclem

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 03:46:54 am »
Nice! So this isn't a full sequel to Chrono Trigger, rather an alternate timeline (a la Radical Dreamers) branching off the banishment from Zeal. I like it! Sounds interesting!

Yes—precisely!
*Currently it is not possible to remake Chrono Trigger entirely.

Chrono Vendian acts as sort of the testing ground for maximizing capabilities in the game, familiarizing its file formats, knowing limits and how to effectively work around them without hindering or cutting content and reserving space sufficiently to add more assets.

I will avoid asking any further questions regarding the plot, although I definitely have many... but only due to excitement! :D

I continue to be very impressed by this project and can't wait to see how in continues to advance. This is shaping up better and better every time you post!

The extension to include more NPCs such as Dalton the hooded figure took up quite a bit of space. Nice feature with scripts, events can be well divided from each within each zone preventing bugs/glitches from occurring due to event triggers intersecting each other.

I also did not want to cut art assets for 3D models (and especially) maps, which would then beckon the need to merge maps into one zone, as typically each map is per-zone. But now limited to only 6 available zones, instead of cutting these extra locations, I decided to merge into one, and block out any scripted events to prevent bugs.

A new accessory has been added to the party's inventory that was created specifically to aid to the revamped gameplay mechanics. The tutorials in game have all been updated to this new system.

After a bit of testing (bosses/superbosses) I can assertively say the feeling of automation is completely removed, with these battles feeling much, much more engaging from start to finish.

The new attack A.I. working quite well for the preference; and battles having a greater feeling of intensity as the fight progresses (specifically in "Battle Active Mode"), enemy a.i. revamps, their actions shift, statuses change, augments added as the foe's HP drops, the need to strategically prepare your party for the shift in the battle.

Battle Mode "Wait" for when the fight becomes much more intensive and foes act much faster, allowing the player character to take their time to execute their commands, especially if the battle is going wrong.

I tend to halt updates until significant progress has been made in either visual, or gameplay categories. I expect February to be quite busy, thus a bigger update.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:42:34 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 09:48:36 pm »
I tend to halt updates until significant progress has been made in either visual, or gameplay categories. I expect February to be quite busy, thus a bigger update.

I take it this was the 'battle system' update! :D

dclem

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 06:46:20 am »

I take it this was the 'battle system' update! :D

Exactly right.

dclem

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 04:47:19 am »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 10:20:40 am »
Woohoo!

dclem

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 07:54:03 am »
That is one hell of an update on this project. I'm exceptionally curious on how everything looks and flows now as it sounds very interesting.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 11:49:47 pm »
**drooling**

dclem

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 02:55:04 am »
**drooling**
That is one hell of an update on this project. I'm exceptionally curious on how everything looks and flows now as it sounds very interesting.

Definitely—an article + video have been posted show casing both systems.

Updated; updated 8)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:56:31 am by dclem »

kaionaziozeno

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 05:24:08 pm »
I'm really excited about this project. Looks absolutely beautiful.

And I hope that this one can be finished without a C&D.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 05:47:01 pm »

I know, right? This project has re-invigorated me in regards to fan projects.

kaionaziozeno

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 07:20:35 pm »

I know, right? This project has re-invigorated me in regards to fan projects.

Exactly. And I hope that this one makes the community thrills, just like CT:Resurrection did (but I expect that this one could have a different end). I can't say that i'm not concerned with SQEX forgetting the franchise year after year.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 12:09:01 pm »
Exactly. And I hope that this one makes the community thrills, just like CT:Resurrection did (but I expect that this one could have a different end). I can't say that i'm not concerned with SQEX forgetting the franchise year after year.

It seems the biggest way to get around Square's C&D is just to not publicize and release when ready. Once they get wind of things, it's all over.

kaionaziozeno

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »

It seems the biggest way to get around Square's C&D is just to not publicize and release when ready. Once they get wind of things, it's all over.

Yes. But I don't know how hard they search after fan games. If they only catch projects who gain media visibility, we're safe. Compendium is the biggest community of Chrono Series and I don't know if they keep this forum on radar. I hope not.