Author Topic: The Chrono Vendian Project  (Read 12385 times)

dclem

The Chrono Vendian Project
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:39:07 pm »

Information and Updates can be found via this thread.

I have been working on a project as of late, Chrono Vendian. It is a pseudo 3D remake of Chrono Trigger, telling a new story in an alternate timeline before fall of the Kingdom of Zeal. Focused on the Vendian geographical period and emerging temporal oddities; introducing the ATB 3.0 and the Tech Grid, a new character development system; along with the music featuring countless orchestrated scores courtesy of Malcolm Robinson Music.

The project uses a heavily modified Final Fantasy XII as its core engine.

I know the lot may wonder why the project wasn't just made from scratch in Unreal Engine or Unity, etc. and while it initially was to be, it was better to be safe than sorry—going an indirect route to avoid potential C&D from SQEX, as we all know their track history with shutting down fan remake projects, particularly with Chrono. Also cheaper without needing to hire extra members to program functionalities and mechanics that are already there. FFXII was chosen mainly of its (gameplay) similarities to Chrono Trigger, such as:
  • Interchangeable party members (active/reserve).
  • Max of three party allies.
  • Party allies that follow the leader.
  • Exp and tp earned to party allies on the reserve.
  • Removal of random-battle transitions for battles.
  • The ability to manipulate abilities to pseudo CT's tech/abilities.
  • AoE (Area of Effect) range
  • Weapon types such as: Katanas, Bowguns, Bows, Guns, Unarmed, Greatswords and the ability to create new weapons such as Scythes.
To add, much is possible with the game:
  • Actions
  • Scripts
  • LUA support
  • Logic
  • 3D models
  • Maps
  • Voiceovers
  • Music
  • Sound effects
  • Sfxs
  • Textures
  • shaders
  • Custom Font
  • gameplay mechanics etc. the list goes on.
It really lifts the workload of the latter from otherwise creating such functionalities from scratch.

The game can modded to the point of starting and feeling as a new game inside of another preset game engine, which is exactly what Chrono Vendian does. Most of these unlocked features and capabilities are courtesy of the Zodiac Engine 3.0, which aims to remove a bunch of limitations the game engine had on character models, animations and environments.

In Chrono Vendian, there are two gameplay modes:
  • 'Original'
  • 'Tech Grid'
Anyone who knows FFXII knows its character development system situates on the License Board and Job system, where characters must pick a board and use that to achieve the use of equipment, armor and abilities. In Chrono Vendian, this is no longer the case.

See here for Tech Grid system.

The project is ~77% complete and can be found here when completed.

Check here for updates.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:24:38 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: The Chrono Vendian Project
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:36 am »
Hey hey! I've seen this on Reddit a while back!

So glad to see you made if over here to the Compendium! This is an exciting project for sure. Beyond the tech and job grid changes, I do have a few questions. We experimented with a Magil/Magus hack for Chrono Cross ages ago, so I always love seeing these sort of hacks.

Will you be having any unique character or enemy models?

Are you utilizing existing FFXII maps and story events (sort of just swapping out dialogue and characters in the existing FFXII story to make it turn into a Chrono story)?

I am more than happy to get you a workshop space set up. Would you like it public or private?

dclem

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 09:02:01 pm »
Will you be having any unique character or enemy models?

Yes! It is not complete without all types of foes. To name a few who'll be encounterable:

• Lavos Spawn
  • Mammon Machine
  • Mother Brain
  • Steel, Alabaster, and Crimson Shades
  • Red Ghaj
  • Deathcreeper
  • Searcher
  • Iron Maiden

And much more.

Are you utilizing existing FFXII maps and story events (sort of just swapping out dialogue and characters in the existing FFXII story to make it turn into a Chrono story)?

No. The game starts on its own course and FFXII's original story events are completely removed, allowing such space for custom event triggers. In short, the whole world is open to explore, gain exp/tp, do side quests, all the like.
*i.e. the game's original script has been wiped to allow a custom one instead.

A lot of post-locations have been redone, reconstructed and the have new events triggers. The choice is up to the player once they select 'New Game':

• Explore the open world.
  • Go on with the story exploring all new locations.

So effectively, none of FFXII's story events exist. Effectively making the world free to explore or heading straight into the Chrono story ahead.

Making old 'Trial Mode' into a mode more interesting. Officially dubbed: The Celestial Tower, to do on the side, that effectively rewards the player for reaching its end, and allowing them to save that data and carry it into the main game, doable at anytime during the game and good for preparing for superbosses.

For now, only a portion of FFXII maps have been reserved for new locations, as we still encounter some issues with other maps. FFXII's capacity for maps per zone is quite large, which allows us to effectively have new locations in a single zone, and transport (move instantly) character positions via the script traversing from one location to the next—all to compensate with the limit there, without having to cut content.

With abilities, it's interesting how well we can manipulate FFXII's abilities and create new ones parallel to CT Techs. While it's nice to introduce limit breaks to the party, the main goal is to make Techs close to the original as possible while remaining fresh and action-based.

I am more than happy to get you a workshop space set up. Would you like it public or private?

I would love that, public yes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:49:22 am by dclem »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 03:04:50 pm »
This sounds amazing! I can't wait to see screenshots and more info.

Also, I've set up your forum space with you as moderator. :)

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?board=109.0

dclem

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:28:15 pm »
This sounds amazing! I can't wait to see screenshots and more info.

Also, I've set up your forum space with you as moderator. :)

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?board=109.0

Thank you!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:52:52 pm »
This sounds awesome!

I know you're using Malcom's  music for this, but I'd be interested in supplying a song or two if you find any need for some custom music. (Time permitting) Look up Cross Symphonic on Spotify if you want to hear some references!

Either way, good luck with everything! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

dclem

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 07:11:25 pm »
This sounds awesome!

I know you're using Malcom's  music for this, but I'd be interested in supplying a song or two if you find any need for some custom music. (Time permitting) Look up Cross Symphonic on Spotify if you want to hear some references!

Either way, good luck with everything! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks!
A custom track could serve as the theme of the unnamed character who would join the trio—on the reserve of one character that is; no assigned theme atm.
Progress is coming well and steadily, good balancing and pacing.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 11:29:35 pm »
I won't lie, some screenshots would sure help the hype train, haha...

dclem

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 04:24:47 am »
I won't lie, some screenshots would sure help the hype train, haha...

Will come in due time.
Crono, for one is being completely redone from the old initial version here:

Originally done by WBS in the days of old.
Now being remade by artist 노승훈 (roh seung) for the other two.
Maps will be a long while as they are more cumbersome to get in game and TZ to prefer to show in game screens than simple renders for maps. The last test map took a considerable amount of time to do in itself.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 10:29:32 am »
Holy moly. This gets my PUMPED UP!

I've seen this character model elsewhere and just thought it was borrowed art; I never realized this was the actual model! What a fun, invigorating, and boss interpretation of Crono! I am loving it.

Your 3D sculptor is awesome, btw. I am so excited for ya'll!!!

dclem

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 03:44:14 am »
Holy moly. This gets my PUMPED UP!

I've seen this character model elsewhere and just thought it was borrowed art; I never realized this was the actual model! What a fun, invigorating, and boss interpretation of Crono! I am loving it.

Your 3D sculptor is awesome, btw. I am so excited for ya'll!!!

Thanks. The issue with this initial model was its bind pose and incomplete hair.
confident roh will do the trio justice. The game engine has never handled hair cards of such a scale until just now, so it wasn't surprising the game reacted strangely to it, needing certain diffuse correction if vertex colors where copied from the mesh and introduces much more aliasing.
Speaking of performance I should note TZ states models and maps will use 4K textures, which will use about 6 - 8 GB vram. And driver based/game native AA (MSAA) has a much more performance hit (MSAAx8) at a fraction of removing some aliasing of objects, including hair. The goal is to not remove the game's MSAA option, but introduce better SMAA implementation (offer SMAAx4, instead the game's native SMAAx1) and removing the game's FXAA for TAA, at the cost of blur, but works well as a alternative for removing aliasing at a fraction of the performance hit than SMAAx4 or (MSAAx8 + SMAAx1).
A lot of jarring jagging and aliasing was also seen in a few test sample maps, on grass and leaves, so this supplement to combat the aliasing.

More screens when the trio is completed along with some first glances at gameplay and tech grid.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:52:51 am by dclem »

dclem

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 03:26:51 pm »
This is looking fairly interesting and I'm happy to see visual progress like that. The battle system, to me, feels a lot like Seiken Densetsu where you wander until an enemy appears then you're able to attack. I'm guessing that's how later Final Fantasy's are like? I haven't played a single FF since FF6 so anything new is beyond me.

Either way, you're doing fantastic work. This is far above and beyond what I ever expected.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 08:10:58 pm »
BTW I figured something out. Turns out Magus was split into two when get went through the wormhole in Trigger DS I am sure you know that. I would like to help out with the game design as I studied.
So Magus is both Serge and Lynx. Pretty much like his darkside. Like a shadow in the persona games.
I analyzed the story over and over again and it all makes sense.

dclem

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 04:12:17 am »
This is looking fairly interesting and I'm happy to see visual progress like that. The battle system, to me, feels a lot like Seiken Densetsu where you wander until an enemy appears then you're able to attack. I'm guessing that's how later Final Fantasy's are like? I haven't played a single FF since FF6 so anything new is beyond me.

Either way, you're doing fantastic work. This is far above and beyond what I ever expected.

Most of them were like. FF7/8/9 all were same turn based. FFX changed the formula up by being Conditional-Turned-Based, which was an excellent representation of an upgraded turn-based mechanic. FFXII is based around the Gambit system, which is series of A.I. controlled if/then statements. A character would have 12 Gambit slots, and select an gambit such as
"If a Foe has >10% HP, then Attack them" or "If a Foe has "haste" status", then use Debuff/Dispel on them to remove Haste status". etc.

With this, many players have felt FFXII like an offline MMO, and/or very automated, and that is exactly what it is. It makes the game play on auto too much, with hardy any interaction. Even for bosses, with the right automated gambit set up, there would be little to no interaction at all.

This is why it was key to remove the gambits entirely and work internally with the system to remove automation and give a feeling of interaction. And returning turn-based concepts to the game by re-introducing the Effect Capacity—with this allows skills commands used to be halted if another foe/party ally is casting a spell, thus a feel of turn-based.

Everyday new ways to improve gameplay shifting more and more away from FFXII's automated system into something fresh and interactive, even if it's not 100% changed to turn based, however close we can get that is the goal.

Lots of work ahead beginning on February 1st and beyond.

BTW I figured something out. Turns out Magus was split into two when get went through the wormhole in Trigger DS I am sure you know that. I would like to help out with the game design as I studied.
So Magus is both Serge and Lynx. Pretty much like his darkside. Like a shadow in the persona games.
I analyzed the story over and over again and it all makes sense.

Yes, and this is alluded to at the final gate.
You're welcome to aid in the game design.

In Chrono Vendian, setting takes an indirect route before ever reaching the Ocean Palace.

I briefly mentioned the synopsis of the plot, but not much before. Here's a little more without spoiling too much.

Arrival and connection to Chrono Trigger:

•The Party is apprehended after confronting Queen Zeal/battling the Golem.
•Once the Prophet insists they to show how they came to be, and Schala seals portal shut.
•The trio is not sent back to Prehistory, instead the Vendian period (~635000000 B.C.).
•They still question why the prophet let them go however, the gate that sent them to this era has dissipate.
•They meet a idiosyncratic individual along the way. Affinity to magic, not specifically dark either.
•While being inevitably trapped in the Vendian Era, finding oddities (premature spawns) throughout the era, they eventually find another time gate.
•This gate is a temporally unstable zone and acts as the point of no return in game.
•Timelines are ran in parallel.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:32:02 am by dclem »