Kajar Laboratories - Fan Works and Submissions > Kajar Laboratories

The Chrono Vendian Project

(1/8) > >>

dclem:

Information and Updates can be found via this thread.

I have been working on a project as of late, Chrono Vendian. It is a pseudo 3D remake of Chrono Trigger, telling a new story in an alternate timeline before fall of the Kingdom of Zeal. Focused on the Vendian geographical period and emerging temporal oddities; introducing the ATB 3.0 and the Tech Grid, a new character development system; along with the music featuring countless orchestrated scores courtesy of Malcolm Robinson Music.

The project uses a heavily modified Final Fantasy XII as its core engine.

I know the lot may wonder why the project wasn't just made from scratch in Unreal Engine or Unity, etc. and while it initially was to be, it was better to be safe than sorry—going an indirect route to avoid potential C&D from SQEX, as we all know their track history with shutting down fan remake projects, particularly with Chrono. Also cheaper without needing to hire extra members to program functionalities and mechanics that are already there. FFXII was chosen mainly of its (gameplay) similarities to Chrono Trigger, such as:

* Interchangeable party members (active/reserve).
* Max of three party allies.
* Party allies that follow the leader.
* Exp and tp earned to party allies on the reserve.
* Removal of random-battle transitions for battles.
* The ability to manipulate abilities to pseudo CT's tech/abilities.
* AoE (Area of Effect) range
* Weapon types such as: Katanas, Bowguns, Bows, Guns, Unarmed, Greatswords and the ability to create new weapons such as Scythes.To add, much is possible with the game:

* Actions
* Scripts
* LUA support
* Logic
* 3D models
* Maps
* Voiceovers
* Music
* Sound effects
* Sfxs
* Textures
* shaders
* Custom Font
* gameplay mechanics etc. the list goes on.It really lifts the workload of the latter from otherwise creating such functionalities from scratch.

The game can modded to the point of starting and feeling as a new game inside of another preset game engine, which is exactly what Chrono Vendian does. Most of these unlocked features and capabilities are courtesy of the Zodiac Engine 3.0, which aims to remove a bunch of limitations the game engine had on character models, animations and environments.

In Chrono Vendian, there are two gameplay modes:

* 'Original'
* 'Tech Grid'Anyone who knows FFXII knows its character development system situates on the License Board and Job system, where characters must pick a board and use that to achieve the use of equipment, armor and abilities. In Chrono Vendian, this is no longer the case.

See here for Tech Grid system.

The project is ~77% complete and can be found here when completed.

Check here for updates.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
Hey hey! I've seen this on Reddit a while back!

So glad to see you made if over here to the Compendium! This is an exciting project for sure. Beyond the tech and job grid changes, I do have a few questions. We experimented with a Magil/Magus hack for Chrono Cross ages ago, so I always love seeing these sort of hacks.

Will you be having any unique character or enemy models?

Are you utilizing existing FFXII maps and story events (sort of just swapping out dialogue and characters in the existing FFXII story to make it turn into a Chrono story)?

I am more than happy to get you a workshop space set up. Would you like it public or private?

dclem:

--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on November 25, 2020, 10:14:36 am ---Will you be having any unique character or enemy models?

--- End quote ---

Yes! It is not complete without all types of foes. To name a few who'll be encounterable:

* Lavos Spawn
* Mammon Machine
* Mother Brain
* Steel, Alabaster, and Crimson Shades
* Red Ghaj
* Deathcreeper
* Searcher
* Iron Maiden
And much more.

--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on November 25, 2020, 10:14:36 am ---Are you utilizing existing FFXII maps and story events (sort of just swapping out dialogue and characters in the existing FFXII story to make it turn into a Chrono story)?

--- End quote ---

No. The game starts on its own course and FFXII's original story events are completely removed, allowing such space for custom event triggers. In short, the whole world is open to explore, gain exp/tp, do side quests, all the like.
*i.e. the game's original script has been wiped to allow a custom one instead.

A lot of post-locations have been redone, reconstructed and the have new events triggers. The choice is up to the player once they select 'New Game':

* Explore the open world.
* Go on with the story exploring all new locations.
So effectively, none of FFXII's story events exist. Effectively making the world free to explore or heading straight into the Chrono story ahead.

Making old 'Trial Mode' into a mode more interesting. Officially dubbed: The Celestial Tower, to do on the side, that effectively rewards the player for reaching its end, and allowing them to save that data and carry it into the main game, doable at anytime during the game and good for preparing for superbosses.

For now, only a portion of FFXII maps have been reserved for new locations, as we still encounter some issues with other maps. FFXII's capacity for maps per zone is quite large, which allows us to effectively have new locations in a single zone, and transport (move instantly) character positions via the script traversing from one location to the next—all to compensate with the limit there, without having to cut content.

With abilities, it's interesting how well we can manipulate FFXII's abilities and create new ones parallel to CT Techs. While it's nice to introduce limit breaks to the party, the main goal is to make Techs close to the original as possible while remaining fresh and action-based.

--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on November 25, 2020, 10:14:36 am ---I am more than happy to get you a workshop space set up. Would you like it public or private?

--- End quote ---

I would love that, public yes.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
This sounds amazing! I can't wait to see screenshots and more info.

Also, I've set up your forum space with you as moderator. :)

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?board=109.0

dclem:

--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on November 26, 2020, 03:04:50 pm ---This sounds amazing! I can't wait to see screenshots and more info.

Also, I've set up your forum space with you as moderator. :)

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?board=109.0

--- End quote ---

Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version