Author Topic: Magic in Mystic Society  (Read 3624 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Magic in Mystic Society
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:00:38 pm »
Something I've thought about recently is how magic is stratified among the Mystics. They're said to have magic, and that's true, but not the whole story. Most of the Mystics you fight in the game don't use magic, and even the Mystics in the cathedral use costumes to disguise themselves.

So who does? We see magic wielded by the highest ranking individuals in Mystic society, including Ozzie, Flea, and Slash...and of course, Magus himself. I don't think this is a coincidence. Magus grew up in a society that was segregated between the upper caste magic users and lower caste non-magic users. I think, once he rose to power in Mystic society, he replicated that structure, assigning positions of power to those who had magic and lower ranking positions to those who didn't.

inuksuk

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Magic in Mystic Society
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:02:34 am »
I think that's a good insight. In terms of game mechanics, I associate Mystics much more with being vulnerable to magic (or invulnerable to your weapons) than I do with being magic users. That helps explain why Magus is so fearsome he can become their leader, even as a young boy.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 02:57:29 pm »
Spekkio said that after the Fall of Zeal, humans lost the ability to use magic, with only Mystics retaining it. those lines were mangled in our version.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 11:15:55 pm »
Spekkio said that after the Fall of Zeal, humans lost the ability to use magic, with only Mystics retaining it. those lines were mangled in our version.

Only Mystics. Not every Mystic.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:33:27 am »
Wait, weren't the disguises magical in nature?