Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > Welcome / Birthday / Seeya! Forum

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a gamer, or a bowling ball dreaming...

(1/2) > >>

Kitt:
...I'm a rolling stone?

Hi, everyone!  I guess I should take a moment and introduce myself, since there is this nifty section here to do so.  I'm Kitt, sometimes Kitt Chaos.  There was a time when I was sort of a rare bird, as I am a woman and older than the 'average' gamer, but, I am glad to realize there is no such thing as an average gamer, anymore.

***One gamer's long and detailed personal history of gaming and related hobbies cut to spare readers (some) and get to the relevant stuff***

Years and years ago, my younger brothers discovered FuncoLand and bought an SNES console.  They traded and played games a lot -- Ranma 1/2, any and everything Mario (to this day I fail hard at any sort of Mario-esque timed jumping platform game), car racing games, fighting games...

Then they got Chrono Trigger.  I was entranced.  It was like the best part of a really good D&D adventure without having to deal with that one gamer who just wanted to get drunk and act stupid, or the girlfriend of the week hanging around, pouting about how 'boring' it was, and breaking up the gaming session early.  The look and feel of Chrono Trigger, the music, the story flow, the characters, the emotional impact -- all of it so balanced -- it was an entire, amazing world contained in that cartridge and I couldn't wait to delve in and explore it myself.

My brothers found it 'boring' and traded it in.  The very next day, I bought my own SNES console and a copy of Chrono Trigger.  After completing it that first time, I went back to see what, if any other games might be like it and discovered Square did indeed have other titles.  Final Fantasy III (which we know now is FF6) was my second ever video game, followed by Final Fantasy II (FF4) (wherein Cecil Harvey claimed a hold on my heart as deeply entrenched as Glenn did in Chrono Trigger).  On the strength of these three games, I bet that the upcoming Final Fantasy VII would be awesome enough to be worth it to get the Playstation console, a decision I have never regretted.

Relevant to this forum, I have only ever played the SNES version of Chrono Trigger, and just recently started a playthrough on the PS1 version (up to 'Unnatural Selection' currently).  I haven't played Chrono Cross or any of the interquel or fan generated games so the sum total of my knowledge of the Chronoverse is contained in the first SNES game. 

As I have always had a soft spot for knights and chivalry, as well as redemption arcs, Glenn is my favorite character.  It's a quirk of mine (that got me into no end of grief when I first started posting a CT fanfic) that I intensely dislike playing characters whose names are merely what they are, so I do change the character names in my fan fiction.  As another HUGE fandom for me is Gen One Transformers, I used that as the basis for a naming theme for my story, only changing two of the girls' names to something more suitable (Lucca had been 'Gears' and Ayla 'Brawn' during my playthrough the second and subsequent times) but soon discovered that to some fans the names are absolutely sacrosanct.  That, coupled with an immense writer's block once I completed a pivotal Magus-centric sub-plot stopped that story cold back in 2006 and I have never completed it.

However, playing Chrono Trigger again, finding that all of those balanced, beloved game elements have retained their charm and power even after playing more modern games -- I want to finish that story again.  I want to bring it to the proper ending that the story, the characters, and the readers (if any still look at it) deserve.  Searching to confirm memories of events later in the game than I have yet to play up to this time around to brought me to this Compendium and this forum, and I am delighted to discover that a vibrant community of members who appreciate Chrono Trigger is still active.

And, if you made it through all of that --
Hi, I'm Kitt.  It's very nice to meet you!  >^o^<

ZeaLitY:
Welcome tot he party!

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
Indeed! Welcome tot he party!

--- Quote ---I was sort of a rare bird, as I am a woman and older than the 'average' gamer, but, I am glad to realize there is no such thing as an average gamer, anymore.
--- End quote ---

You're in good company here; we have a good mix of ages! Especially since Chrono Trigger is a series now 25(!) years old, there's a lot of us that grew up on it and are in our 30s, 40s, and above. Just goes to show how this game stands the test of time!

--- Quote --- ... my younger brothers discovered FuncoLand and bought an SNES console. They traded and played games a lot -- Ranma 1/2, any and everything Mario ...
--- End quote ---

I miss FuncoLand. This is where I bought my favorite RPGs besides Chrono Trigger. Games like Lunar: Silver Star Story, Secret of Mana, etc... I don't think I realized they had anime, though!

--- Quote ---Relevant to this forum, I have only ever played the SNES version of Chrono Trigger, and just recently started a playthrough on the PS1 version (up to 'Unnatural Selection' currently).  I haven't played Chrono Cross or any of the interquel or fan generated games so the sum total of my knowledge of the Chronoverse is contained in the first SNES game.
--- End quote ---

Ugh... The PSX version is by far the worst version of Chrono Trigger, lol... Those load times are abysmal! Although the anime cutscenes were a nice add. :) If you ever want to change it up and don't mind using emulators, there are quite a few hacks that you can play that add some new content or change things up. A few years back the Compendium also sponsored a re-translation of Chrono Trigger directly from the Japanese script, without all the Woosley-isms.

And there's Crimson Echoes / Flames of Eternity, our own fanon ROM hack sequel to Chrono Trigger that helps bridge the events of Chrono Cross. It's a great game in it's own right and carries on the Chrono legacy even as Square Enix has essentially abandoned the franchise.

--- Quote --- ... As another HUGE fandom for me is Gen One Transformers ...
--- End quote ---

Right on! Same here. Who are your favorites? Even though he's technically Gen Two, I admit that I love Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime. Judd Nelson was the man back in the 80s! I also enjoy Beast Wars and how it ties back into Gen One (loosely).

--- Quote ---Searching to confirm memories of events later in the game than I have yet to play up to this time around to brought me to this Compendium and this forum, and I am delighted to discover that a vibrant community of members who appreciate Chrono Trigger is still active.
--- End quote ---

The Compendium isn't insanely busy these days, but we do have a very solid group of regulars. We have next to no drama and are a bastion of old school forumites. We also have a Discord if you're into that kind of thing.

Oh, and thread necromancy is both okay and encouraged, do don't worry too much about strict rules or anything.

Mauron:
Welcome tot he party!

I am a similar rare bird. Let's flock together.

Did any of the Ranma 1/2 games make it into English? I thought they were Japanese exclusives.

Acacia Sgt:
Hello there. Welcome! Always nice to see a new member join up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version