Author Topic: My projects from game dev school  (Read 2522 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
My projects from game dev school
« on: September 02, 2020, 01:05:36 am »
So I started a vocational game dev school today, and I've been trying to get a head start on lessons so I already have two games on my itch.io. I'll post more as I progress through the school year. So far, they have me starting on a 2D game engine called Construct 3, which I can certainly appreciate for what it is. Both these games are in-browser, but I could look into a desktop port if enough demand is present.

Also, note, the school gives higher grades for creativity, so... I've been doing that to the extent it hardly resembles the lessons, hehe.

Balls of Space: Lesson told me to make Pong. While I followed the instructions, I also deviated and made a strange Spaceballs parody soccer game. Version 1.3 adds AI to player 2 and mouse support!

Binny Schuut: The first lesson started me with Spacewar, which is a simple shoot the other spaceship game. I took that, and made... whatever the fuck this is.

Lunar (Zoo)Lander: I just had to bastardize Lunar Lander. This is NOT, in fact, a game for ants.

Tanks for Nothin': You like tanks? Great! You'll find this annoying lol. Now with AI!

Pickle Track 10: This one was difficult to screw with, I'll admit. Gran Trak 10....

Unnamed Metroidvania: Instead of doing a Mario clone like the platformer lesson says, I'm going the extra mile and making a metroidvania. For this, I am using some original art/music from Crimson Echoes, and crediting them as needed now that I know how to do multiple screens. I still struggle with pixel art and I love the work done on CE, so I figured I'd put them in a non-commercial non-IP-infringing game. Even dropped $25 on a silly voice pack one of my favorite Twitch streamers made, for this.

Also, I glanced at what's ahead. Upcoming lessons are platformer (Mario), Snake, and adventure (Zelda), among others. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do for some of them:

- Adventure/Zelda: Either turn-based combat or if I have enough of a spritesheet, the early Tales real-time side scrolling combat system
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:04:54 am by Schala Zeal »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: My projects from game dev school
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:39:18 am »
I played the SpaceBalls soccer game. I'm also an idiot, because I was thinking Pong in my head and it took me a while to realize:

1.) Why the asteroid ball was moving so slowly.
2.) That I had full 8-directional movement and not just just up/down.

I had fun with it once I stopped being a dummy and actually realized how to play!

...Although P2 never played with me, hahaha...

Thanks for sharing! Good luck with the game school! Can't wait to see all you accomplish! You're gonna do great!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:42 pm »
Nice!  Spent a few minutes with the space balls game.  Looks like a solid start!

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:24 pm »
Pickle Track 10, Lunar (Zoo)Lander and Tanks for Nothin' are now online. Updated the OP. I plan to go back and add AI to player 2 in my first two games this weekend I hope. It's not part of the lessons, but I wanna make them more fun.

UPDATE: Latest lesson is a platformer, and the teacher explains how to do a Mario clone. I'm going the extra mile and making a metroidvania. I'm using some Crimson Echoes sprites since these character designs aren't owned by some faceless corporation. This is also my first game with multiple screens, so I've done a credits screen, too.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:59:24 am by Schala Zeal »