Author Topic: Chrono Trigger first time in years Journal  (Read 4759 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger first time in years Journal
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 04:22:25 am »
I know I still have my Punching Puppet Ghaleon too as well unfortunately he always stays in his box lol.

I love, love, love LUNAR: SSSC it's probably the RPG I've re-played the most I try to play it once a year but I've only managed maybe 8 or 7 playthroughs. The Sega CD version is also really nice I finally got a working Sega CD sometime around 2012 and played the game for the first time it's really pretty epic lol.

Yeah, I got LUNAR: TSS first but didn't have the console so I played the PlayStation version first lol. I try to play them in sequencial order but my Sega CD is acting wonky, at the moment.

I truly honestly prefer the Working Designs version, I just like their translation, I think Victor Ireland helped actually called the voice actors to reprise their roles for the XSEED version.

Lol, at times I tend to forget which RPGs I've already finished especially ones dating to when I was a younger child, like Breath of Fire series I play over-and-over but I don't remember if I've actually beat them, lol. It truly does help me at least to keep track and it's nice being able to take peeks at your friends' game collection. Well I'm still single unfortunately which's probably why I don't have a girlfriend lol, but I'm definitely gonna start a gaming family.

I figure RPGs help me out with reading and writing so I want it to do the same with my son.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 12:29:55 am »
Breath of Fire is one of those series I want to love, but have never really been able to get into. I've started BoF II multiple times, had a blast, but always ended up quitting halfway through for one reason or another (the most recent was because my save corrupted).

I have also started BoF III twice but felt the game's combat and story was really, really slow. I never got very far; the farthest I got was when Ryu and Nina, as children, are escaping the two horse/bounty hunter-assassins. I kept getting schooled and I remember I was really sick with the flu at the time, so the whole thing feels like a fever dream.

But yeah... I need to go back and play them. Especially since I can play all but Dragon Quarter on my PSP, which is a great way to play games on the go. Outside of my Switch, it's my preference.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 08:47:33 am »
I love, love, love the Breath of Fire series. I've been playing it off-and-on since I was a little kid. I actually first started with Breath of Fire II, which I still haven't beaten lol, and then I got curious and started searching for the first game - I found a copy at Funcoland, I think. Anyway, what I love about the series is how every playable character comes from a different tribe and they're all unique and different from one another.

I know, I have to get used to the slow pacing everytime I start one of the games up lol, but I noticed looking back it's not too bad on the Super Nintendo the battles go by fairly quick.

I have trouble with BoFII as well I had to recently change out the battery in the cartridge for it because it wasn't saving at all. I think it's just super grind-y and a grindfest especially toward the middle-end portion of the game I remember I would physically fall asleep with the controller in my hands during the random battles lol. BoFIII is definitely my favorite because as you said you get to see Ryu and Nina as children and the start of their adventure together.

I'm pretty sure I have all five games in the series. I always kept up with it I think it's the only series I always have to make sure to keep up with actually. I'm more of a console RPG player I just like sitting in front of the T.V. with a controller. Very rarely do I get the feeling to want to play on portable if I'm at home. I usually bring portables when I go to work or something like that haha.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 11:28:19 am »
Sounds like I may need to give BoF III a try again...

Have you played the Lufia series?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 12:14:34 am »
You should really give Breath of Fire III another try again, it's really cool.

Yes, I have played Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals but not Lufia & The Fortress of Doom. I really adore that game the characters are really memorable. I definitely need to give it another re-play lol I've been meaning to actually. I was trying to find I think Lufia The Ruins of Lore at one point in time for Game Boy Advance. Lufia's great!

Do you like Secret of Mana/Evermore at all? I just beat SoM again recently and it was really great and I've been meaning to play Secret of Evermore again. Out of curiosity, do you like Earthbound at all? I'm a big, huge fan of that RPG too and I've been trying to sign-up for their fansite but registration is blocked in my country. I've been sending them e-mails and it's really put a damper in my mood, recently lol.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 10:36:50 am »
You should really give Breath of Fire III another try again, it's really cool.

I'll do that! I have a feeling it really picks up once they become adults, which of course I never got that far before.

Yes, I have played Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals but not Lufia & The Fortress of Doom. I really adore that game the characters are really memorable. I definitely need to give it another re-play lol I've been meaning to actually. I was trying to find I think Lufia The Ruins of Lore at one point in time for Game Boy Advance. Lufia's great!

I've only played Lufia I and II and although I enjoyed both, Lufia II is by far the better game. The characters, puzzles, and capsule monster elements really make it shine.

Do you like Secret of Mana/Evermore at all?

Played both and loved both, although SoM edges out SoE. In fact, SoM is one of my favorite video games of all time, almost up there with Chrono Trigger. Not only it is a blast, but I think the soundtrack is one of the best of all time.

It doesn't get enough credit it deserves, and I think Square should focus on making the Mana series a flagship IP. The success of the SoM remake and Trials of Mana shows that there is potential there, as long as they don't do anything crazy like they did with the Mana Collection (Children of Mana, Dawn of Mana were both pretty blah if you ask me).

Out of curiosity, do you like Earthbound at all?

YES. I love the Mother series. So quirky and fun. I admit that I haven't played Mother 3 (which has a ROM hack English translation), though. I've also been following the Mother 4 fan game, which was recently rebranded as a game called Oddity and is distancing itself from the Earthbound/Mother moniker.

https://kotaku.com/the-mother-4-fan-game-is-now-called-oddity-still-looks-1840778466

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 12:14:35 am »
Ok, good! I actually enjoyed it much more when they were children, though. When they turn into adults it becomes like too epic, lol. But, it sure is a blast to play! I always come back for more with regards to the Breath of Fire series!

Omg, I know I loved the Capsule Monsters idea! A lot of my favorite characters come from the Lufia series like Dekar and Tia. I really have to get my hands on Lufia & The Fortress of Doom.

I know I recently re-played Secret of Mana and it was a blast! I grinded the Hell out of it. I just liked it's overall mystique. I have yet to beat Secret of Evermore I've always liked it more than SoM. Lol, remakes are always hit-or-miss I know being a Lunar fan.

Oh, I always just call it Earthbound I hate the Mother name. Anyway, yes. I love that game as well I'm always playing through it at points in my life. I also always main Ness in Super Smash Bros. and my friends are always like, "What game is he from?" And I'm just like, "Earthbound. It's an RPG." I definitely want to play through all the games in the series.

I've always loved all the SNES RPGs. Out of all of them I think my favorite might be Super Mario RPG because I'm such a Nintendo fan. It's the system I grew up with. Oh, and Harvest Moon's also pretty good.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 09:39:50 am »
Super Mario RPG

YES. Such a great RPG. I played it before I ever played a Final Fantasy game and Culex and his crystals, as hard as they were, confused the heck out of me.

Geno for the wiiiiin! I actually remember when he left to return to the Star Road at the end of the game, and it was one of the first times I felt a real sense of loss. I don't think 11-year old me had encountered much death/splitting up of friends in real life, so it really took me as a shock. It's been a thematic element that has stuck with my ever since, even in my own hobbyist writing efforts.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:47 pm »
Oh, it's been so long since I played Super Mario RPG I forgot about all that lol. I always liked Mallow the best! I don't think I ever used Geno he always stayed in the back row for me, lol. I think I always wound up using some combo of Mallow/Princess and Bowser. I know I thought it was cool how Kefka was randomly in the game hahaha. That boss fight was always pretty hard, from what I remember.

Um, I think SMRPG was one of the last games I played for Super NES, actually. I was pretty into Final Fantasy at that point in time. My friend introduced me to Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and I thought it looked cool he showed me the Dragon Claw lol. Then I borrowed Final Fantasy II from my girlfriend's older brother and we always had that in common. Between FFII and Final Fantasy III for SNES I dunno which I like better but I always lean to FFII because, I actually beat it. I always thought it was kinda always better than FFIII (which I play a lot on PSX) ...so, I'm familiar with all these RPGs you brought up! Hehe.

My mind was so cluttered during SNES era I dunno what my first RPG ever was.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 12:19:48 am »
Oh man, you missed out with Geno. He had a timed attack that, if you timed it right, did 9999 HP no matter what. It was super difficult to do, but it was rad. Plus I thought his character was cool -- a being from another dimension that inhabited a doll (which he said looked the strongest, ironic considering the other dolls were Mario and friends).

Mallow did have a cool story, though, being a prince and all. And you did get to put Valentina in her place. I remember her giant breasts jiggled when you attacked her; eleven year old me found this both hilarious and most exhilarating, but I didn't know why at the time...

As for the Final Fantasy games -- are you referring to the US numbering or the Japanese?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 08:27:19 am »
Oh, ok I'll look into using Geno more the next time I play. Mallow just makes me laugh he's like a fluffy cloud-marshmallow lol. I don't think I know that about Geno's timed attack I will make a mental note of it. I thought timing Mario's jumps was the hardest thing for me to do though for his Power/Jump Ring/Scarf or whatever I always had trouble with that I remember. I think I was just enamored with Princess being a playable character at the time therefore I ignored Geno I thought that was pretty cool.

Lol, going up into the clouds to fight Valentina was my favorite part of the whole game I just thought being up there was cool.

I remember when I was young I told my cousin a really corny joke about Frogfucius's name that I don't think I can say on here... and he broke character, got mad at me and told me never to say it, that again lol. (I forgot about that til now!) I was just taken aback cause he was my "cool cousin" and thought he'd like it.

Oh, I have a bad habit of just referring to it by the US numbering I should've made that clear lol. I just mention the SNES Final Fantasy's and think people will get what I mean.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 09:54:44 am »
Wait, Kefka was in SMRPG? I must have missed that Was he one of Gaz' dolls?

Agreed on Geno's attack. Made the Exor battle a walk in the park. Or more like a sprint. I could never make it work on the final boss though.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »
Oh, I always just thought Culex was Kefka I thought they basically alluded to that but I may be wrong, lol. He's surrounded by the four elemental crystals like in Final Fantasy-dom and he looks like his final form in Final Fantasy III/VI. He says a line something to the effect of, "...I come from a different dimension..." And since both games were done by Squaresoft. I thought the wings give it away.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 10:38:01 pm »
Oh, I figured he was related to Final Fantasy, but that he wasn't anyone specific. The battle music seems to be from FF2/4j.

I remember the amount of rock candy I burned through during that battle. Thank goodness forest mushrooms are free, or I would strangle Mushroom Boy for his gluttony. :twisted:

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:10 am »
Well I could be mistaken. I always assumed it was Kefka. He could be just some random demon dimension-hopper from Final Fantasy you're right. I thought him being in Monstro Town is significantly weird. I forgot how I always beat him but I remember that boss fight is hard. I think I always rely on spamming Mario's jumps. M-Mm. I definitely always take Princess with me just because I like her.