Author Topic: Chrono Trigger first time in years Journal  (Read 4756 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger first time in years Journal
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:07:32 am »
Hey, guys! I waited a few days because I was reluctant to make a new thread since I'm new here, I don't want to step on any eggshells, I received such a welcome. I thought it might be interesting and kinda fun to share my impressions of CT for the first time in years I do know for sure I've beat it before but it's been so long all the lines seem new to me I completely forgotten everything!! Just a little forewarning I do take my time playing RPGs and I go really slow I really like to milk everything as much as possible for all its worth. I can only game for 2 hours max. each day because of my schedule but when I have nothing else to do/freetime I can sit there for 9-7 hours.

I just made it thru the sewers and I'm at the Keeper's Dome with Crono Marle, Lucca. So far the, my impressions of the game have been, are pretty good. I love Marle I think she's such an interesting character being a princess and all. Lucca's also pretty cool because she is Crono's friend.

I plan to play the game daily until I finish.

I do tend to write a lot I hope it's ok here. I prefer writing in just a thread also.

Edit:
I just made it through the Future era and am now at the End of Time. Once I got to the future I thought I was gonna see neon signs but it is actually pretty bleak. I got to meet Robo who's one of my favorite characters I love his themesong. His storyline's also pretty cool. I used the enertron with him in the party and I wonder why'd he'd ever get hungry? The End of Time is pretty beautiful, I like the fences.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:28:35 am by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger first time in years Journal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:44:32 pm »
I love this idea! Keep it going!

I remember I got stuck at the End of Time, because 11 year old couldn't figure out clockwise, haha... I rage-quit and ended up figuring it out the next day.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:03:08 pm »
I got to meet Robo who's one of my favorite characters I love his themesong. His storyline's also pretty cool. I used the enertron with him in the party and I wonder why'd he'd ever get hungry?

Well, damn. After 25 years, there are still new points to ponder  :lol:

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:10:24 pm »
I love to read people's impressions as they play Chrono Trigger for the first time, so I'm looking forward to this. Even if you've technically beaten the game before, it's close enough.
:)

As for why Robo would get hungry, maybe he uses a chemical fuel source? He has that big boiler-looking thing on his back, and his official art has him venting smoke or steam.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 05:45:33 am »
Hey, guys! As I promised I've been trying to play Chrono Trigger daily it was a little tough trying to fit in actual gaming time because I'm so busy doing other hobbies, but I managed to play for only a few minutes which was convenient because the next scene was a big one. I met the Old Man at The End of Time and, Spekkio taught me magic. I thought that was pretty big. The End of Time is so pretty. I thought the elements each of them received was really interesting and Robo's shadow laser "magic." I could never beat Spekkio on the first try as a kid, and I still can't do it now.

I love Robo's thememusic, it's my favorite and I always have.

Lol, I just wonder why he gets 'hungry' because he's a robot. I've always noticed that even as a little kid.

I guess my healing magic is too weak I couldn't beat him even with Marle and Robo.

Edit:
Hey, guys! I managed to beat Spekkio today by learning Cure for Marle. I got a bunch of items from it in its first-form! I visited Medina for a little bit. But I was mostly grinding at the Hunting Range for like two hours today. I managed to learn Delta Force from the Nu there because Heckran always gave me trouble the first-time around. I know Heckran's a tough boss.

Edit(2):
Hey, guys! I'm trying not to double post so I'm just gonna edit my post.

I beat Heckran it was easier than I remembered! I have to go to the Middle Ages thru the Fairgrounds but I stopped to finally do the wretched Tent of Horrors. I just keep fighting Gato over and over until I reach the cap for Silver Points then I go to the Tent of Horrors. I pay 10 then I play the game. I got a poyozo doll for Crono's room and now I'm stocking up on cat food. The mask thing seems super serious when he gives you the food for Crono's cat so, ... I don't really know what it's about. This really gave me a hard time when I was little, younger so I am doing it now. I just keep my eye on Piette in the middle and hope I have to guess him if not I just make a guess between the other two. I did this for like an hour-and-a-half today, this afternoon, lol!

Hope you guys are enjoying this so far. I'm really into the game! And it helps me learn a little bit about myself like. Why do I like RPGs?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:31:19 am by VidKid369 »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:25 pm »
Hey, everyone! First of all, I'm sorry I hadn't been posting daily like I wanted to I was just trying really hard not to double post but since this's the end of the journal I thought it'd be ok. So. I actually managed to finish Chrono Trigger yesterday afternoon! Lavos was a real thorn in my side I actually died during the final battle haha. I couldn't figure out which part to kill off and he kept reviving parts of himself. I used Crono, Frog and Robo. Also I made it to Lavos thru the Black Omen in the Present and so I managed to unlock New Game+! I didn't know this game ever had that feature.

I always get the same ending whenever I play this game where Crono's Mom goes through the Time Gate, lol.

I thought the game was excellent. I can see why it's so beloved by so many gamers. I thought the music was superb. I loved all the colorful characters. The battle mechanics were really superb. I thought Crono was a great main character he's so animated and funny-looking lol.

I loved the story. Making it to Enhasa and Kajar was a real treat. There's so many little secrets to find in this game.

Overall, playing through this game was a real delight. Unfortunately I have to move on with my backlog so New Game+ will have to wait but, I'll definitely be back for more! Thanks guys, thank you to everyone here for making it a really fun experience for me! :d

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:53 pm »
Bummer! I am disappointed we missed out on your thoughts. Double posting and thread necromancy are both a-okay here at the Compendium, so there was no need to wait!

What comes next? Radical Dreamers? Chrono Cross?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:38 am »
Haha. Oh, sorry. I did read the forum rules that stated double posting is ok as long as it doesn't distract but I still feel weird doing it.

As for what's next for me... Well, I'm trying to beat my backlog and I actually started on that with Chrono Cross so I don't know if I'm gonna re-play that one. Chrono Cross is actually one of my favorite games ever and it really brought me back into what I love and enjoy doing playing video games lol. I took a break from gaming for close to 2 years at one point in time and when I was finally ready to start up again Chrono Cross was the first game I picked up. That was about 4 years ago.

Well, I just wanted to state that I forgotten how much I love Chrono Trigger/Cross and getting to play the former while posting here was really a lot of fun. I wish I'd just dumped all my thoughts here while I was playing but with New Game+ sitting there waiting for me I'm sure I'll be back.

Chrono Trigger is really a complicated game for me there's a lot of thought that went into this game, I can tell. It was really a lot of fun but it took a lot out of me, lol!! There's also a lot of re-play value in a RPG which's really creative/fun.

I promise I'll be back. I still haven't read the whole forum.

This game really takes me back to my childhood. It was the first RPG I played. (I think?) I promise, it's not over for me here... Definitely, I'll play Chrono Trigger again using the New Game+ feature I'd never done that before and I never knew it was there. And I have a boatload of endings to complete lol.

It's just I have other RPGs that've gone un-played and it's not fair to them. I always go to and come back to Chrono Trigger for more. For sure, I'm not done with this game, haha lol.

Anyway, thank you to all for giving me an outlet to post a little bit. Thanks. :d

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 09:51:23 am »
Our pleasure! Feel free to hang around -- we go through lively spurts of activity and then more downtime (which is pretty much now). Activity ebbs and flows like the seas of Zurvan.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 07:53:57 pm »
What other RPGs are in your backlog?

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 09:08:58 pm »
You guys have a really great community here. I've always visited the Chrono Compendium when I was younger and I had always intended to join, now that my interest in RPGs has risen I finally clicked the button and registered. I wanted to be more involved in my gaming hobby somehow and reaching out to other gamers who like love RPGs as much as I do really seemed like a good idea! Sometimes I love just talking about RPGs rather, more than playing actually, lol.

Oh your, the community here seems so lively and there's a bunch of topics I definitely need to sift through I'll for sure stick around I guess I never knew how much I adored Chrono Trigger I usually keep my thoughts about RPGs to myself and talking about it seems a little surreal.

Well I'm actually in the process of re-playing all the RPGs in my collection whether I have beaten them before or not so my list is kinda long. I do have a Backloggery account that has a list of all my RPGs: https://www.backloggery.com/vidkid369 I focus on unbeaten games but I also re-play RPGs I love a lot. I've always wanted to do this, just re-play all my RPGs I've ever bought, lol! I'm trying to spend more time staying at home and gaming instead of getting in trouble.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
Looks like you and I are in the same age category (I'm also 34, but from the US). I also see that your profile picture is a character from Lunar: Silver Star Story! Tempest for the win (although I always wished he and Freya were in the game more).

Such a great, underrated series. Well, for the most part. But Lunar I and II are two of my favorite RPGs. I have actually been thinking about playing the the PSP remake of the first Lunar game. I played it a decade ago and have been wanting to play it again.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:24:35 pm »
(Sorry, I'm a bit nervous to talk this morning, I think it's because of all the coffee lately.)

Yes, I was born in '86 but my birthday is in November so I'm late I think you're older by a year so I think I'm actually 33? I'm actually from the U.S.! I lived in San Francisco, California for years I moved to the Philippines now though.

Yes, LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete is my favorite RPG and I'm a huge Working Designs fan I collect all their games, paraphernalia and memorabilia. They are by far my favorite company I think it's because I lived in California for so long and they're right up the road. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean for Sega Saturn is another one of my favorites from them and it's a really good RPG. I think all their RPGs they localized/translated is pretty good.

Yes, Tempest is my favorite character, I always thought Alex is pretty boring... LUNAR: TSS for Sega CD features Tempest and Fresca more. I think their, the events in Pao were pretty eventful.

Yeah, both PlayStation LUNAR's are pretty good lol. I like the songs a lot. Oh are you talking about Silver Star Harmony I have that too as well but I haven't gotten around to it? I usually re-play the PSX-version, only. I play the Lunar series every Christmas it's like tradition in my house.

Yeah, LUNAR doesn't seem to get any love it's the only game that's ever bewitched me. Ever since I saw the gaming advertisement for it I had to have it.

Are you, by chance, into gaming catalogs online? The Backloggery literally changed my life and gaming career. If you're interested you should definitely sign-up we can be friends on there, too, haha! :p
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:33:52 pm by VidKid369 »

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 10:38:40 am »
Yeah, WD was in a league of its own back in the day. Spoiled the hell out of fans. Still have my punching puppet Ghaleon from preordering EBC in '00, ha! Only played with it twice though.

SSSC remains one of the biggest, most precious memories for me in my history of playing JRPGs (or just video games in general). In fact, I did a runthrough last year after 10-15 years. Didn't get to play the original version on Sega CD but did watch a playthrough. The differences are interesting! Great music in both versions too (speaking of Tempest and Fresca, the Pao theme in SSSC kicks ass).

Edit: Preorder was actually in '00 not '99.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:51:27 pm by Toreadore »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 10:53:21 am »
Yeah, both PlayStation LUNAR's are pretty good lol. I like the songs a lot. Oh are you talking about Silver Star Harmony I have that too as well but I haven't gotten around to it? I usually re-play the PSX-version, only. I play the Lunar series every Christmas it's like tradition in my house.

I normally play the PSX "Complete" versions, too. I replayed both SSSC and EBC about 3 years ago or so. I've found them to be the best versions of their respective games, although I admit that I also played them first.

As for Silver Star Harmony, yeah, that's the PSP version. It's actually a really good remake. It's pretty much a fancier graphics version of Silver Star Story Complete for the PSX. The music is remixed and some of the voice work is different, though. I think I prefer the voice acting of the PSX version, but it's likely bias due to the fact that that is the version I have played the most.

In fact, the prologue of Silver Star Harmony is entirely new and follows Dyne, Ghaleon, and co when they fight Eiphel and the Princes of the Dark Star to rescue Althena. It actually incorporates some of Eternal Blue Complete, as well, so it better links the two games overall.

After it's release I reached out to xSeed (who handled the localization) and GameArts and continued to beg for them to reignite the Lunar series. Such a great series overall. There's something about the tone and pacing that makes it such a quality series (well, discounting Dragon Song and the Magic School game).

Are you, by chance, into gaming catalogs online? The Backloggery literally changed my life and gaming career. If you're interested you should definitely sign-up we can be friends on there, too, haha! :p

I haven't created an account there and generally haven't focused on cataloging, but I should do it! I just tend to jump around with what I play. I have a wife and kids and my gaming isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.