Author Topic: A silly question...  (Read 3599 times)

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
A silly question...
« on: July 06, 2020, 03:22:59 pm »
Is even technically possible to make a translation for the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger?

I'm asking because here in Brazil a lot of folks still have functional PS2, and for reasons beyond i realize (MAYBE its because there are fan translations for Portuguese for the SNES version while the PS1 one doesnt have any, but it can be because a lot didnt even realize there was a native and official port to PS1) they use a crappy build of SNES9x ported for PS2 architeture. That emulator have a lot of issues, and imo is very annoying to play any SNES game on it.

I was searching on internet about the subject and all what i found was the PS1 is kinda strange in the background; it pulls data from an internal SNES ROM but not the script (?!)

So, any kind of hacking on that internal ROM could or not be playable on the PS1 version?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:24:24 pm by froodo »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: A silly question...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:25:25 pm »
I examined the English PS1 version a bit last year, mainly as part of an investigation to see how much of the attract mode functionality was left. The text inside the internal ROM was replaced, but I guess maybe the "dictionary" compression entries might have been elsewhere. It was different than the one used in the SNES translation.