Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Galactea 3rd project.  (Read 16913 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Galactea 3rd project.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 01:19:06 pm »
oh yeah booooi! that looks awesome! can't wait to fight that sucka and then enter his shell so i can CRUSH him.

Doc_Cigarette

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
It's been since july i guess and really I've been slower because everything in life is so good i don't really have a reason to get messed up to the point where I can't remember anything.   This could affect the quality of the game.  I liked the imaginative assumption based story telling where things only make enough sense for people to try to make sense of it.  It's fun to pretend.  So i'm going to follow my messed up notes and change a bunch of stuff.  Originally i had planned on one or two levels per character you follow, but messed up me made a great note about how that might pull the player too far from the story and the characters they like to play.  So each time you switch characters that gives me a chance to change 100% of the assets.  I've been so obsessed about the two stages you fight lavos that it almost means making 20 of the same game i already did.  You would think i might grab any old tile but i'm starting to get proud a bit and i want things perfect or something.  I want to give the player tons of enemies to kill.  And i did... In previous games have areas that had few enemies or big mazes or tiny mazes that are hard to get out of.   I wanted to give the player a chance to think about where they might be in the lore of chrono trigger.  Since i have things i can use audio triggers for I don't have to do that.  I can make clear goals. The goal is always to make it to the end.  It's the context that's important.  So if you know a character you care about is in danger you might hurry to the end event of the level creating a sort of tension. So i'll show you some screens and explain some things you won't see.   Lucca and Magus do not exist here, of course they put up a hard fight but it appears they don't exist in world where time travel existed before lavos could be discovered to any degree of science.  No ocean palace needed to be built.  No sun stone needed to be recharged as all Zeal's problems could be solved through a multiverse they knew how to pull items out of. Zeal's total control of a series of timelines comes to an end when agent 86 shows up in 1999 on the day of lavos.   The short story i wrote was a prelude to some other stuff where agent 86 kills a bunch of agent 86's but rick and morty did that and now i'd rather something else.  Is the story cannon anyway? sure why not. What is cannon is the first thing the Gurus created, that being a temporal catch, a concept from the unofficial sequel and somewhat how the end of time works.  Agent 86 often comes from the catch or similar functioning portal sometimes seemingly set up on purpose.  I just learned a thing called sub pixel animation and i'm going to apply that to anything I can, like the stone statue enemies. I don't have to for anything i didn't make because those are already so friggen perfect.   Do i need help? probably but probably not.  I gotta make all these levels... It's like you saw the space ship already... so i gotta do that and a couple more pictures of this ship that totally isn't something i saw on my desk and traced. I don't want to reuse the corridor sprites even though they are in the black bird.  I need something new and than a bunch more.  For some clarity the three characters you play as want each other dead. The reasons will be clear to the player.  The dialogue can't be super heavy, well it can but it shouldn't be. The thing that is certain is that Ozzie will have his war one way or the other. You probably won't see toma there because the thing he wanted to do has been accomplished. I played reptite rage again just the other day, I still like it and it makes me want to finish this project. but it's like... gotta make a prison and i gotta make fish.  It seems to big and i don't want to rush. These pictures are of diagonal joined stuff i wanted to look good.  I want new trees too.  But... those old ones are still pretty good.  maybe a nuclear winter edit would be easier.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2021, 01:13:30 am »
Hey buddy,

Just take your time. These things take time and energy, and we're in no rush. Just glad to see you resuming work on it (and make an appearance). Hope you're well!

Doc_Cigarette

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2021, 01:30:07 pm »
The actual script is done.  I'm going to try to record later.  I'll use a wind sock and a bunch of other noise reduction techniques i learned while doing radio garbage. Almost all the scenery is done.  There are enemy edits i want to do first.  New enemies i don't want to show yet because this time they look pretty good.   The inside of lavos is now wet and goopy. The voice cast is pretty cut and dry.  We have an Ayla, a Lori, a gasper, a melchoir  and a really great ozzie. They guy who plays ozzie is also our vocal director.  Can you say flava flav free floor fries really fast? well that's part of the vocal warm up. I voiced agent 86 last time but it was one line.  So if you think you've got the voice of an agent let me know.  So what happens next?  Well the levels get put together instead of test levels. The  final screen of reptite rage is accurate to the story.  I'm also making additional blocks of story so i can use the help menu as a Story menu. Since every playable character has their own menu I can switch it between levels so that there is always some menu content as well as lots of level content. The only thing that remains unknown to the player is agent 86's mission.   it's pretty easy to guess. I have to draw a picture of galactea docked and partially submerged because it's a big boat too i guess.  Some things won't change.  Like the sound menu cats, those are 12 by 12 cats from an original 16 by 16 and it's really hard to chop anything like that and have it still look like what it is.   so i'm looking at something like 20 sprite pictures that are super easy to do basically a sticker book. At least six more enemies and maybe if i'm missing a wall or two a couple of those. With the enemies it's pretty easy too. than i just sort of put everything where it needs to go. I don't know when it's going to be done, however there is an end plan that should lead into a nice really easy to sprite out 100 level fourth game that is mostly just a shooter because that would be cool. How do the characters play you ask?  Well, Agent 86 is good and shooty with some tricks and reworked older weapons to look better and on scale. Ayla is a beast will face more enemies that are easier to kill usually and she's able to easily run through gunfire.  Lori has an array of weapons that favor chucking lots of bullets or single strike zeal magic.  I had this whole plan for lori learning mystic type magic like crimson rain but it didn't make sense because lori is not a nice person. One of the hardest parts deciding what they would say and how much of it they should or can say. so i keep those things short but i make sure there is some kind of conversation instead of people asking questions about questions.  That's it until i get a demo or something really cool to show you.  I'm not going to work, i'm doing this.