Kajar Laboratories - Fan Works and Submissions > Fan Fiction

Continuing Conversation with Boo...

(1/3) > >>

skylark:
Okay, you were asking who this guy I thought up was?

His name is Cain Cray, and technically he's been the go-to guy I make in games with character creation for years. It was only natural he would be my first choice for a fanfic protagonist.

For the two fic projects I've done, he's played different roles (hell, even different species), but the one constant was that he always hooked up with Schala at the end. (I guess that childhood crush from when Trigger first came out never went away. Who knew?)

Anyway, this version borrows heavily from his Children of Zeal version, with a couple of differences.

You know, this might be a story worth telling over a campfire. But this would be a story of tragedy, one that would last past the end of Chrono Cross.

That is, if anyone wants to stop by and listen...

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
*grabs up a sawn log and plops it down*

I hear this is the place for stories. Dreams and stories and tales...

*sits on the log, leaning forward towards the flames, hands open taking in the warmth*

Tell me a story.

skylark:
Our story begins during the days of the mystical kingdom of Zeal, but not when one thinks. No, our story begins much earlier, during the reign of King Victor, predecessor to King Alphard.

Victor had been a wise ruler... once. Until one day, he decided on a soujourn from the kingdom to search for a treasure of humanity's ancestors. He returned... a changed man. No one noticed anything wrong at first, but over the next year, paranoia, dimentia, a series of increasingly brutal and maddened laws and decrees, and a platform of utter magical supremacy...

Many in Zeal had come to buy into Victor's new regime, especially the sudden persecution of those without magic, one in particular being a Duke of the noble house Cray who became Victor's staunchest supporter. Needless to say, the kingdom was nearly split in two over Victor's actions.

But there was one man who could not allow Victor's tyranny to continue, even if the stain of regicide would haunt him for the rest of his life. That man was Alphard, commander of the Royal Guard and betrothed to Princess Samaela. Upon learning that Victor planned to sacrifice his daughter to a being whose name has been lost to time, Alphard knew he had to act. Alongside his trusted companion Abel, the deed was soon done.

By the death of Victor, Alphard rose up as King, attempting to undo the damages Victor had caused. He was met with... fierce resistance.

It is here I must stress one of Victor the Mad's laws. 'By decree of the Kingdom of Zeal, any who would endanger or take the life of our sacred scholars will be shown no mercy, no quarter, their names forever black'. One would think that would be a standard, if rather specific law, but it failed to account for many factors. Acts of nature, suicide, actions beyond the control of anyone else... none were spared the consequences, as proponents of the law would easily find the nearest scapegoat to punish. Not even age was a factor, as anyone from the oldest man to the youngest child could be considered guilty.

This... became the unfortunate fate of the first and only son of the aformentioned Duke Cray. His crime: his mother's death by childbirth... and to the people of Zeal, the loss of such a taented scholar was a crime. It was only through cooler heads prevailing that the Duke didn't kill the newborn child on the spot, instead waiting until he was of proper age to be tried.

The boy was given the name of Cain... which in the ancestral tongue means 'murderer'...

CptOvaltine:
I'm intrigued.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
Yeah, sounds like a cool start!

So in this tale, what becomes of Cain? What is his part in the story?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version