Author Topic: Still Love this Game!!  (Read 14917 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Still Love this Game!!
« on: May 07, 2020, 10:54:55 pm »
I just wanted to say how much I still love this game. I got a new phone back in January when I started my new job and I’ve been playing it a lot during the pandemic. I’m on my second play through and I still love this game so much and I just wanted to share. :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Still Love this Game!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:58 am »
The fact that we've had 3 major hacks in the past two years or less (Schala Edition, CT Plus, and Master Quest) all give additional replay options and show just how grand this series is.

The series may be dead now for almost 20 years, but clearly it still has an impact on fans of jRPGs.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35:10 pm »
A timeless classic for sure.  Seriously one of the greatest jrpg series ever.

Despite what I keep seeing around, I want Square to keep this series dead.  I know, I know...hear me out.  We've built up this franchise so much in our minds over the past 20 years that there's no way they can do anything but disappoint a majority of the fanbase. I say let this one rest and be fondly remembered, and instead start a new IP that we can all create new memories with.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:54:26 am »
I wouldn't say no to a remake. Like what they've done with Trials of Mana.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:19:35 pm »
A 3D remake might be something nice to do down the road.

Personally, I think what the series might need at the moment is give Cross its time to shine with modern audiences with a port/remake/remaster. Trigger at least gets re-released every now and then, but Cross has been left behind pretty much.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 03:43:52 am »
Personally, I think what the series might need at the moment is give Cross its time to shine with modern audiences with a port/remake/remaster. Trigger at least gets re-released every now and then, but Cross has been left behind pretty much.

I concur. Chrono Trigger holds up just fine to this day without alteration. Chrono Cross has aged remarkably well (considering how awful many games from that era look to the modern eye), but it could still use a remaster.

However, I would prefer a full remake like Final Fantasy 7 is getting. Keep the overall narrative intact, but fix the bad pacing and explain the confusing story elements better. Reduce the need for exposition by adding a few more dungeons so that information can be revealed organically. Either trim down the cast or make everyone actually relevant to the plot; in either case, everyone should get unique things to say in each situation—none of that identical-dialogue-fed-through-an-accent-generator business. I wouldn't want to see the battle system changed too much, since I think it's a quintessential part of the Chrono Cross experience, but it could definitely be rebalanced and expanded upon.

Lastly, I'd want an Extras Mode full of goodies like the PS and DS releases of Chrono Trigger.

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 05:21:25 am »
I would want either a remake of Chrono Trigger inthe same way Trials of Mana was redone (the base game and all charm is intact, but experienced in a new way) or a remaster compilation on Switch with Chrono Grigger, Chrono Cross, and a bonus translation of Radical Dreamers.

What I don't want is a remake like FFVII, where they use the base game but stray from the source material in a way that takes it in a new direction (though cross would set it up for aomethkng like this to be an alternative timeline, and maybe even set up for a new entry as a twist).

In any case, SE has been reviving old IPs and even expressed interest in making a new Mana game.  This give me hope for any if these projects, or dare I say a completely new entry, to happen sometime soon.  Not holding my breath, but the possibility is real.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:48:49 pm »
A Trials of Mana-like remake of Trigger would be beautiful. I regrettably have never played any of the Mana games, but what I've seen of the remake matches the tone of Trigger very well, I think.

I'm not confident the same could be done for Cross, however. I would like for it to at least be ported to newer consoles or PC.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:36:01 pm »
I also like the idea of Trigger getting a ToM style remake.

I'm not confident the same could be done for Cross, however. I would like for it to at least be ported to newer consoles or PC.

I feel it could just use a HD remaster and it'd be fine for re-release, in my opinion.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:11:47 pm »
What I don't want is a remake like FFVII, where they use the base game but stray from the source material in a way that takes it in a new direction (though cross would set it up for aomethkng like this to be an alternative timeline, and maybe even set up for a new entry as a twist).

My understanding was that they weren't really changing anything, just expanding on things that were only hinted at or mentioned in passing in the original, but I could easily be mistaken since I haven't been following it closely. Regardless, I think there's plenty of room for such expansion in Chrono Cross while keeping true to the source material, considering how rushed and compressed the final hours are and how little development most of the cast gets.

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 12:53:22 pm »

My understanding was that they weren't really changing anything, just expanding on things that were only hinted at or mentioned in passing in the original, but I could easily be mistaken since I haven't been following it closely. Regardless, I think there's plenty of room for such expansion in Chrono Cross while keeping true to the source material, considering how rushed and compressed the final hours are and how little development most of the cast gets.

Nah, it uses the original story as a base but goes in a whole new direction.  It is not a remake like the title says, but a reboot that has its own canon in an alternate reality.  My source is the fact that I am playing the game right now.  While I am enjoying myself, I would not want this for the Chrono series, especially not CT.

Now I agree CC could use some expansion, and maybe even clarification in some spots.  But even then, a FFVIIR style of change would be unwelcome in my eyes.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 10:29:50 pm »
I dunno, I would love a Chrono Cross remake with a more expanded third act.

They could finally put in the content that they originally planned for the third act instead of the rushed, heavily deleted and edited text dump we got. That way it stays in line with what the creators envisioned and doesn't fall victim to the "parallel universe like FFVIIR" fears.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 07:54:20 pm »
Chrono Trigger rules! Woooo!

I'd like a remake, but done with more fans included, so they dont screw it up like the ff7 remake ( i wasnt a fan due to changing too much)

a CT remake really only would need, in my eyes, better graphics and maybe better or more music, and by better i mean enhanced music, dont change any of the major songs, the music is what made this game great)

cymorg

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I draw Frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 11:24:44 pm »
I just wanted to say how much I still love this game. I got a new phone back in January when I started my new job and I’ve been playing it a lot during the pandemic. I’m on my second play through and I still love this game so much and I just wanted to share. :)

I've been replaying vanilla CT during this quarantine. It's been a good chance to experience it again, it really gets my creative juices going and inspires me to make more art/fic. It got me into drawing and stuff when I was a kid so I guess it's only natural that I'd come back to it all these years. Still the best game of all time, IMO.

I've always wanted to try some of these hacks, though. I could never figure out how to get them to work then, and I guess some things never change, because I still haven't quite figured it out. Glad there's always Youtube, anyway!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:26:36 pm by cymorg »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 11:20:32 am »
I'd like a remake, but done with more fans included, so they dont screw it up like the ff7 remake ( i wasnt a fan due to changing too much)

I've heard a lot of complaints about the ending regarding this being a "future timeline" and that the rest of events may happen quite different post-Midgar. It sounds like a lot of fans having an issue of it not being a remake, but rather an alternate series of events (sort of like the 2009 reboot of Star Trek). Just out of curiousity, is that the case, or was it the additional content that bothered you?

I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone who has played it, so I'm definitely curious!