Author Topic: Magus and Schala: The Eternal Tragedy  (Read 16743 times)

Cromage

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Magus and Schala: The Eternal Tragedy
« on: January 09, 2004, 02:03:19 am »
One tiny technicality. (please forgive me if it's been said before) Magus's dispassionate statement, "What a pity... We weren't able to change a thing," actually popped up when he was looking at himself. We never know what he's thinking about Schala, for when he looks at her, he merely says the disturbed RPG standby, "..........."

In fact, that's about ALL he ever says about Schala. Talk to him when he's been floored by Lavos, and her name plus a few nifty "..."'s are all he can say. Personally, I think he can't come to terms with his feelings about her.

Also significant is how he never refers to specific events in his previous life directly. "I once lived there. But I was a different person then...."

That's it. Everything else he tells you about is approx. 20 years after his separation. Not only that, but his little speech at the North Cape is just about all you ever get from him that doesn't just say "I'm arrogant and out for revenge," but ironically, it's the material for most of his fanfiction.

To top it all off, aforementioned time period is when he's the most emotionally vulnerable in the past 20 years. I mean, think about it.

<look into Magus's mind>
After failing his first attempt to summon Lavos, fate gives him another chance. He cunningly wins the support of the queen, relying not just on predictions but on acting ability (this can be inferred; I wouldn't make a guy in a hooded cape an important advisor even if he COULD predict the future unless I thought I had some security) waits for his moment, and attempts to block the interference of the time travelers who thwarted him before. (most villainous of him, if I do say so myself)

And then he blows it. Again. He gambles the life and safety of his sister on his ability to defeat Lavos and loses. He even loses a chunk of his powers (also inferred). He has nothing left but his pendant and his life (I mean Schala, not Zeal, no matter what he says) lies on the bottom of the sea.

</look into Magus's mind>

Then there's the very fact that he lets you kill him if you say "yes." Even though he could just fly away, he gasps out how to revive Crono and promptly bites the dust, leaving only his momento of Schala behind.

But THAT'S NOT ALL! Despite being at his most depressed, he still hasn't told you his true name! You've inferred it from a flashback. He NEVER uses the name of Janus in ANY part of the game. Janus is dead to him, and possibly unmourned. After all....... Schala might not be the only one with guilt problems 'round here.... (of course, this theory rests on Janus's "sleeping" powers; that he was unable or unwilling to use them to save Schala and so blames himself. Which is still under debate)

But I digress, and it's getting late, and I don't even know if this is still open to discussion. So g'night.

OathoftheTimeTraveler

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ffexp.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 10:40:42 am »
I think saying that Ozzie and the Mystics tortured or manipulated Janus isn't quite right. I think the only reason Ozzie didn't kill him on the spot was because of some cunning on Janus' part, perhaps some ability that is unknown to the player. It would make sense, as mentioned before, Magus ain't exactly the most talkative guy in the bunch.

anclunn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 04:55:19 pm »
Quote from: OathoftheTimeTraveler
I think the only reason Ozzie didn't kill him on the spot was because of some cunning on Janus' part, perhaps some ability that is unknown to the player.

Magus errr... Janus, was without magic, but then he was also never exposed to Lavos.  Zeal certainly was, and his sister's dream stone pendant connected her to lavos (As it's easily infered that there is some kind of mystical connection).  It is also known that Lavos is the source of the Enlightened people of Zeal's powers.  It would make sense for his sister to shield him from the sinister influence of Lavos's power, for as long as she could.

However Janus was certainly exposed to Lavos that day, and all his dormant potential awakened.  Also, seeing him appear out of nowhere would indicate to Ozzie that this kid had some potential.

Also, let's not forget that Magus is immortal.  All the people of Zeal in the Ocean Palace room or nearby bacame immortal (Dalton for example).  Who is to say that Magus had been in training for only 20 years?  Perhaps he is much older than we realize.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 03:02:45 am »
Quote from: anclunn

Magus errr... Janus, was without magic, but then he was also never exposed to Lavos.  
Also, let's not forget that Magus is immortal.  All the people of Zeal in the Ocean Palace room or nearby bacame immortal (Dalton for example).  Who is to say that Magus had been in training for only 20 years?  Perhaps he is much older than we realize.

Well, I don't think that merely Lavos gave magic to people. I think it was the dreamstone which granted that unto the people, and the Dreamstone, it can be argued, is apart from Lavos. I think that he just didn't show it, in sort of a rebellious way. In the same way that he keeps his feelings hidden, he keeps his magic hidden. Finally I don't think that those in the Palace became immortal; the Masamune, though it could not fully halt Lavos alone, at least prevented that. Else Balthesar should also have been immortal, yet he does die in time. Janus (pardon me, I always call him that) is mortal.
Quote from: Cromage

But THAT'S NOT ALL! Despite being at his most depressed, he still hasn't told you his true name! You've inferred it from a flashback. He NEVER uses the name of Janus in ANY part of the game. Janus is dead to him, and possibly unmourned. After all....... Schala might not be the only one with guilt problems 'round here.... (of course, this theory rests on Janus's "sleeping" powers; that he was unable or unwilling to use them to save Schala and so blames himself. Which is still under debate).

Actually, though he does not do so in the game CT, he does actually say his name, and is named by it. Of course Magus is simply a title that has become a semi-name (somewhat like the name "Baal"; it means "Lord", but many deities in the ancient world were named that, and in time I think it became somewhat of a proper name...at the very least we now look at it in such a way very often when reading it.) Anyway, Magus is just "Sorcerer", and as such is a pretty drab name. But here's the catch: through some reason, it is what the rest of the party calls him, and likely what he prefers to be called. In her letter to Kid, Lucca says: "hello, Janus!". It's said in a very friendly tone, almost too friendly considering how he acts in CT. Perhaps at some later point he becomes redeemed in some respect, and reverts to his old name. But I think the most plausable explanation is just pride. Zeal is avenged, and his guise of the "Sorcerer" is not needed anymore. And isn't he a prince? He'd probably revert to it out of some arrogance at being a prince of Zeal (no matter how much contempt for the kingdom he might have had, judging by his character, I wager he'd still use his royal lineage to assert himself over people). Of course the other explanation for Lucca using this name is that it might simply be her cheery character attempting to annoy Janus (which it likely would). But another thing that the letter confirms: Janus did go and look for Schala. Lucca expected him to find her eventually, in fact, and to guard her. Actually, it seems to me that she expected him to be a sort of guide to her for whatever might befall. But he isn't there. An odd thing, and it makes one wonder what happened to him that he isn't.
Actually, I think in a closing note that Janus' full character is best described through Radical Dreamers. He's sharp and doesn't like speaking, yet has a certain aristocratic air about him when needs be (a certain understanding of teas, it seems), and can speak pleasantly enough if he wishes to. At one point he can be as eloquent as a prince, the next as sharp as the old Magus that he once was (the story thread when Serge accidently knocks his mask off, and Magil quite gladly returns the blow, is excellent show of this). He's very clever, basically, and can put on various guises depending on the situation (and to ZeaLitY: you did just this in your Gaspar Part II, when he speaks to Serge, and I think it was one of the best parts in the story. Perfectly in line with the Magil of Radical Dreamer, which is the best show we have of the post CT Janus). Basically, if he's dark and bitter, he's at least refined and princely in doing so.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 05:54:31 pm »
What you might not notice, that Magil in RD seemes to have diffrent powers then Magus. They are the same person, after all, and RD is probably an extension to one of the endings, so should you think about it, his powers have changed. (Magil vaporized the Goblins in the Vault, did Magus ever do this?)

Janus declared himself Magus to run from a past of shame and guilt for not being able to save the person he loved most, who stayed with him even when his own mother turned evil, his dear half sister Schala. He felt he could never repay her the favor. He helped the party revive Crono because he thought (Back then, anyway)that Crono and Schala died in the hands of the same butcher, Lavos, by reviving Crono he has proven that even those killed by Lavos can be revived, and that all hope for Schala is not yet gone. Yet, as cold as the relationship between him and the group was, he and the CT team had become friends, some of them anyway. The grudge between him and Frog shall always remain, but after going through after all that, they had gotten closer. Magus' little talking never gave the team a chance to know him. He found a worthy cause to fight for, and, even if he won't admit it, worthy friends to fight with. Magus' hidden  powers are never really revealed, but what's sure that he's stronger then Queen Zeal and Schala. This means something. Maybe the powers will be revealed in the upcoming Chrono Break?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 07:27:29 pm »
She's his full blood sister, by the way. Ted Woolsey stuck in that half-sister stuff.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 03:12:11 am »
Bah... I wish I could read Japanese...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 12:01:08 pm »
Wow, Neally a whole year.

^
Magus has many powers that we never get to see. Like how he can turn Glenn into Frog. We can even see lightning and fire spells being shot out of his fingers at Cyrus.

Magil is Magus so he can use any powers that he might have not shown.

Also, Gray, can you make Schala look more innocent? Cuz I'm the biggest fan of Schala ^.^;

Here goes my comments on Magus:
I don't think he was too mentally twisted by all these events. He seems more calm. Like in the Time Freeze, he simply goes "....". Thats like going in your mind "OMFG... Geez...". That would seem very snobby and prince like :P
Also from his actions as a child, I'm guessing he is a boy genius. I can say though that he probably had to experiance terrors, probably having nightmares about Lavos, but like he said "I survived the darkness to defeat you, Lavos!"
Pretty strong spirit eh?

On the note of Schala:
Yes it was her fault, but because she is a good person, she wouldn't defy her mother. And it could just as easily been blamed on Melchior, Gasper and Belthasar for making the pendant and Mammon Machine and Belthasar for not telling Schala what to do. He is the Guru of Reason after all >.>

Belthasar can be even more to blaim because if he hadn't planned everything perfectly in CC, then the whole Chronoverse could have been destroyed.

So don't just blame it on poor Schala. Personally I would think that Schala was under alot of stress from everyone, so get of her back. Look at how she always had to obey her mother, while worrying about Janus' saftey and the Earthbound ones. Not to mention the Enlightened servents of Queen Zeal.
"Aid: Miss Schala, please hurry.  If you're late, I'll be punished!

Schala: Oh yes, I'm sorry."

Personally I feel pitty on Schala. I can see it that her childhood was terrible and that she never had anyone to be there for her, so all of her good emotions came for caring for Janus. So sweet  8)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 01:43:53 pm »
It seems like such a long time ago that I wrote this.  If I were to re-write it now, I'm sure  my views would be very different.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 02:16:02 pm »
Zaperking, Melchior is the Guru of Life

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 03:52:28 am »
Oops, I thought I made a mistake >.<
Sorry, then blame it all on Belthasar. Unless he was trying to redeem himself by sending Crono back in time.. without calculating the risks of what could happen if he did. But he then truely does redeem himself by freeing Schala, and being in the conspiracy to destroy the Time devourer ^.^

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 12:42:36 pm »
But all his manipulation must've pissed Serge off, and that's never a good thing to do with the Arbiter >_>

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 10:59:44 am »
I don't really understand why Serge is called "The Arbiter of Time". He can't do a single thing with time. All he can do is traverse between dimensions with Kid's astral amulet. Also he is linked to the Frozen Flame.. Wow... How time controlling of him >.>

Serge never seems pissed off lol, maybe beacuse he is a mute?

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 01:40:23 pm »
But going through all Serge went through, and then finding out you were used, who wouldn't be a little ticked? I mean, the game doesn't show it, but come on.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 06:06:24 pm »
I think he's called the arbiter of time simply because he is the sole person with access to the Frozen Flame, the shard of Lavos, which has various whacky powers including, if i don't have it wrong, time manipulation.

Also, Serge is basically an emotionless sack of shit.